INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can two client pcs on same network use the same library on one in W10  (Read 622 times)

goberre

• Recent member

Hi good folks,
I am currently running MC27 on my desktop PC in my office and on my laptop in my flat above on the same wired network. This involves having two libraries one on each machine which means that when I tweak settings on one the other is unaffected, things like number of plays are specific to the machine played on and if I alter the tags on one I then have to sync folders to alter the tags on the other.
My question is if I share the drives on the PC so the laptop has full access could I make both PC and laptop versions of MC27 use the same library without problems. Obviously they can share the same music files. Your advice would be appreciated.   ?

rec head

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Can two client pcs on same network use the same library on one in W10
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2021, 09:24:11 am »

Before we go further are you sure you don't want to just have one computer act as the server and share one library instead of maintaining two?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2021, 09:48:12 am »

That's a much better solution.  On the wiki, please read about Library Server and Media Network.

pfm555

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2021, 09:59:30 am »

I was typing while the other responses were posted. This is the way to do what they are suggesting. Make one computer your server and the other one a client. First if you have any movies or music that is on one and not the other you will need to copy to the computer that you designate as your server.  i would say that your desktop should be your server and the laptop should be your client. Desktop will be easier to add larger hard drive storage if you need it than a laptop. the server needs to be on when your are accessing from the client. on the server go to tools>options>Media Network and check Use 'Media Network to share this library and enable DLNA' follow the prompts and it will give you an access key and then ask you how you want it set up i chose existing settings. Then check 'Authentication:Username and password' and you will be prompted to set up a username and password and then hit ok.  Then go to Startup on the tree and then Windows startup> Run on Windows startup and check Media Server hit ok and your done with the server. On the client go to View and select Standard Mode, under playing now, right click on 'playing from Main Library'> 'add library,' give it a name, fill in access key from server and then hit ok. You will then be prompted for the username and password you set up on the server, fill in and hit ok and will finish setting up the client and you should have access to everything on the server.

goberre

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2021, 02:40:20 pm »

Thank you so much pfm555,
I have been trying to get my head round this concept for some time and you explained it in simple terms that someone my age who never got any computer education and had no concept of DLNA, could easily understand, we used slide rules at school. I have now set up the desktop as the server and the laptop as a client and it is working. Just one difference from your instructions, the client never asked for the username or password but that suits me. I am over joyed with the result and will now investigate linking my phone with DLNA.
Thanks again,
Gordon.   ;D

pfm555

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2021, 06:45:41 pm »

You're welcome. JRiver is great. I have gotten a lot of help over the years on this forum so, glad i could give back. in regard to the username and password that is under the server computer tools. It is right below the access key. it is "authentication." i thought it was added by JRiver as a level of security. Glad to know it is not needed. One less step in setting up a client. i

If you have an android phone just download "gizmo" from the play store.  It is free.   Use your access key to set up. pretty straight forward. if you have an iPhone there is an app for it too.

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2021, 03:40:35 am »

If you don't enable authentication then your Client MC is connecting in Read-Only mode. It can play everything, but any Tag changes you make on the Client will not be saved to database and will be lost when you close MC. This includes things like the "Number of Plays" and "Last Played" tags.

goberre

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2021, 04:38:34 am »

Hi zybex,
Thanks for that advise. I discovered that this morning when I booted up and the Smartlists I created last night had vanished. Great pre-emptive advice. I was just trying to figure that out.
Cheers.   ;D

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2021, 04:43:11 am »

:)

Note that even with Authentication, there are some things that don't get saved when done in the Client... Importing needs to be done on the server; creating new Tag Field as well; some View settings are defined on the server, not Client; etc, etc. I don't have a list of what doesn't work, I just find them out as I go along. But it's not that much, and usually not an issue.

goberre

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2021, 09:45:52 am »

Hi zybex,
Thank you for drawing my attention to the limitations of a client MC even with Authentication enabled. This is something I am indeed finding out as my server MC is the desktop in my office and the client MC on my laptop usually in my flat. As I have 2TB of FLAC files the laptop was not an option as the server. The problem I have is the short trip between the flat and office which involves going out the flat door at the rear, through the garden onto a side street and round the building to the office front door. Since I have utilised Media Network I am a lot fitter through establishing if something I do on the client is reflected on the server.
My issue is that I consider "etc, etc. I don't have a list of what doesn't work, I just find them out as I go along" not a sustainable response from the developers of the finest media player on the planet. I would have expected better, like say JR MC Wikki to provide a comprehensive list of the functional  limitations on the client machine. I am aware that my separation of client and server may be unusual but I would welcome a comprehensive list particularly for my use, audio. Thanks.

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2021, 10:10:11 am »

Yes, documentation is still an issue.

You can make your life easier though, by using a remote desktop app to see and manipulate your server desktop on your laptop, while enjoying your favorite beverage.

Windows itself comes with a Remote Desktop solution, but that may require some extra configuration. Easier alternatives are TeamViewer or VNC (UltraVNC, TightVNC, RealVNC... there are many).

For instance:
- install TightVNC on both PCs - https://www.tightvnc.com/download.php
- on the server, set it up as a Service (with/without password, doesn't matter)
- on the laptop, no need to install the Server component; you just need the VNCViewer part
- just run VNCViewer and enter the Server's hostname, and connect - now you can see the other screen and work on it.

You can then create a shortcut on your desktop that opens the VNCViewer connection automatically.
- install TightVNC Server on the server
Pages: [1]   Go Up