INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Setting Up Schiit Modi, Loki, and Vali 2 to MC 27  (Read 710 times)

harryragg

• Recent member
Setting Up Schiit Modi, Loki, and Vali 2 to MC 27
« on: February 09, 2021, 11:07:25 am »

I am trying to hook up my Schiit Stack to my MacBook Pro.  It is hooked up properly, but I can't get any sound when I play music from MC 27.

The reason I say it is hooked up properly is because it plays music fine when I play it on iTunes on my Mac.

Am I missing something on the set up?

harryragg

• Recent member
Re: Setting Up Schiit Modi, Loki, and Vali 2 to MC 27
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2021, 03:25:13 pm »

I get 16 views and no one can help me out?

wer

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2021, 04:18:53 pm »

You've waited only 4 hours. Don't be so impatient.

You want something specific: someone with experience with the Modi DAC, and on a Mac.  Not really the majority of people. So the small number of people that saw your post probably didn't think they could help. You say it's "hooked up properly" but you're not very specific about what actually happens. Do you get a message of some kind? Does MC look like it's playing (timecode advances) but no sound? Stereo tracks, multichannel tracks, what? Do you have the MC volume control turned up? You haven't been specific as to what you've tried, so people who read your thread have nothing to go on other than "doesn't work".

I have none of that equipment, so all I can suggest is go into Options->Audio and make sure you have the correct output device set.

harryragg

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2021, 10:06:37 am »

I should have known better.  I was using it as a bump. My keyboarding does not equate to my thoughts.

harryragg

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2021, 10:18:02 am »

You've waited only 4 hours. Don't be so impatient.

You want something specific: someone with experience with the Modi DAC, and on a Mac.  Not really the majority of people. So the small number of people that saw your post probably didn't think they could help. You say it's "hooked up properly" but you're not very specific about what actually happens. Do you get a message of some kind? Does MC look like it's playing (timecode advances) but no sound? Stereo tracks, multichannel tracks, what? Do you have the MC volume control turned up? You haven't been specific as to what you've tried, so people who read your thread have nothing to go on other than "doesn't work".

I have none of that equipment, so all I can suggest is go into Options->Audio and make sure you have the correct output device set.

I might have figured it out. I changed my output encoding to none.  That allows me to get the sound coming out of my Schiit Modi, which is a DAC, to the Loki, which is an EQ and to the Vali, which is a headphone amp and preamp. But I am not 100% sure if it is set up properly combining JRiver MC27 to the Schiit Modi DAC. 

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2021, 12:47:03 pm »

I might have figured it out. I changed my output encoding to none.  That allows me to get the sound coming out of my Schiit Modi, which is a DAC, to the Loki, which is an EQ and to the Vali, which is a headphone amp and preamp. But I am not 100% sure if it is set up properly combining JRiver MC27 to the Schiit Modi DAC.
You can hover over the DSP Studio gear during playback to see the details of the audio processing/path.

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2021, 01:56:40 pm »

I use use a modi with windows and linux.

In output format I choose the following:
output encoding is set to none
sample rates up to 192,000 are set to no change, sample rates above 192,000 are set to 176,400.
channels are set to 2 channel stereo.
mixing is JRSS

I like to check volume leveling

I also like to check crossfeed and set it to standard since the modi is connected to a Vali headphone amp.

Not all these settings are required to make it work, you just have to send the dac a sample rate it can handle at the right number of channels.

wer

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2021, 02:05:15 pm »

I changed my output encoding to none.

Output Encoding actually defaults to None, so you must have reconfigured this at some time in the past for there to be a need to actually change it back.

Glad you got it working.

harryragg

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2021, 02:28:28 pm »

I use use a modi with windows and linux.

In output format I choose the following:
output encoding is set to none
sample rates up to 192,000 are set to no change, sample rates above 192,000 are set to 176,400.
channels are set to 2 channel stereo.
mixing is JRSS

I like to check volume leveling

I also like to check crossfeed and set it to standard since the modi is connected to a Vali headphone amp.

Not all these settings are required to make it work, you just have to send the dac a sample rate it can handle at the right number of channels.

That is the setting I have.  Thank you everybody for helping me out.  It was getting me frustrated when I couldn't get any sound out of it. I don't recall ever changing settings before.
Pages: [1]   Go Up