INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Qobuz Integration  (Read 2731 times)

jacobacci

• Galactic Citizen
Qobuz Integration
« on: February 12, 2021, 03:49:03 am »

I am amazed at the total rejection the question of integrating online streaming services is getting from JRiver staff due to some bad experiences made several years ago with Tidal.
See here https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,125509.msg892215.html#msg892215
It seems to me times have changed. I have been an avid Qobuz user for many years and I noticed that many commercially successful HW and SW companies have integrated Qobuz without deviating from their usual interface or being sued to death.
HW examples: T+A, Moon, Bluesound
SW example: Volumio: This is a small company run by Michelangelo Guarise (whom I know personally) He is easily reachable through the contact information on their Webiste https://volumio.org/volumio-overview/. Their forum is not full of people complaining that the Qobuz integration does not work. But best to ask Michelangelo directly whether Qobuz is difficult to work with or not.
Just a though.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Qobuz Integration
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2021, 06:08:06 am »

I am amazed at the total rejection the question of integrating online streaming services is getting from JRiver staff due to some bad experiences made several years ago with Tidal.
It's a business decision.  They don't make money.  Here are Tidal's numbers:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,101545.msg891040.html#msg891040

Eventually, I believe they will disappear.

stewart_pk

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2021, 07:32:54 pm »

While there is an internet, there will be audio and video streaming services.

Free to air TV on the other hand...

amsco15

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2021, 08:11:09 am »

For what it's worth: this is the only reason I continue to look outside the MediaCenter universe.

lightsout

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2021, 11:51:43 am »

It's a business decision.  They don't make money.  Here are Tidal's numbers:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,101545.msg891040.html#msg891040

That's sad to hear, hopefully this gets sorted out as I love the service.

contium

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2021, 05:03:49 pm »

Regardless of who goes out of business, streaming isn't going anywhere. 2020 streaming was 85% of the retail music market. It seems like it would be in JRiver's best interest to support an open streaming service like Tidal or Qobuz that they can integrate. But whatever. There are plenty of other products that have managed to make it work.

https://www.riaa.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/Mid-Year-2020-RIAA-Revenue-Statistics.pdf

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2021, 02:11:56 pm »

Qobuz just celebrated their two year anniversary in the US, although they have been around for 14 years.

I had to pack up my HTPC three years ago because I sold my house and was building a new one. It isn't setup yet in the new house. In the meantime, my family started using Amazon Prime Music and now use it almost exclusively. I do use JRiver daily at work with my music collection, but find myself streaming more often. I've only purchased about 10 albums (including HDtracks) in the past 3 years.

I would definitely switch to Qobuz if it was integrated in JRiver.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2021, 04:04:41 pm »

Seems Qobuz is doing pretty well.........

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/qobuz-the-worlds-1st-hi-res-music-service-raises-10-million-euros-to-consolidate-its-future-developments-301134262.html
They probably had to invest capital to offset losses.  The press release says "...  its historical shareholders - the Nabuboto company and the Quebecor Group - have renewed their confidence by the fundraising of 10 million euros ..."

Wheaten

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2021, 05:36:33 pm »

you missed the start of that same phrase, the additional investments were made to support global expansion. Not to fill holes.

I do understand your concerns to invest in resources and build specific integrations, which give you less freedom and dependencies towards 3rd parties.
As JRiver is doing an awesome job delivering/handling AV content, people want to stick with it. However the market is shifting to streaming, not to physical media.
People that bought a license request for an integration of Qobuz into their preferred software. As JRiver is in the top 3, I expect that JRiver want to stay there.
Some new innovations will not harm that position.

And maybe it's time to review the business plan as this topic keeps coming back and competitors did the integration already.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2021, 07:14:19 pm »

you missed the start of that same phrase, the additional investments were made to support global expansion. Not to fill holes.[/size][/font]
I didn't miss it.  I read it several times.  I think it's spin, not substance.

I have nothing against Qobuz.  I just think the economics of this space are bad.  We spent many years on it in the early days.  We were on the inside.  Nobody who's tried it makes money, and eventually the losses catch up with them.

Carcajou

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2023, 08:38:28 am »

Bonjour to all
===
Qobuz ---

Qobuz Hi Res streaming service is now available in Canada and I subscribed to the "studio" service which resolution goes from 16/44.1 to 24/192 and its plays flawlessly via my modest 15Mb/s ISP service to my SOtM streamer.

The biggest caveat with the Qobuz apps ==> It runs local only - only on the mobile...or only on the Laptop - It will not control DLNA devices on my network. So when I stream Qobuz to my SOtM streamer....I use Bubble UPnP on my mobile to select and play Qobuz to it...it works but it is way less elegant than the Qobuz app interface. And I use Bubble UPnP windows server to stream Qobuz to "non-qobuz ready" streamers.

===
JRiver MC30

I have been updating JRiver yearly since MC17 (circa 2012)....and I invested a sizable amount of time in organizing the JRiver library for Classical and Jazz music. I kept buying JRiver updates year after year - not because of the new features - but to insure JRiver would stay in business.

Now that I am into Streaming - unless JRiver becomes a Streaming service "hub" in my network - I see less value to keep updating it. Since my subscription to Qobuz...I have not played music via JRiver.

I have also heard in the past that Qobuz financials were bad - I have no clue where they are now and I understand JRiver concerns about this.

But I would ask JRiver to re-assess the situation and hopefully...start to integrate Qobuz streaming services into JRiver.

===

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2023, 08:41:36 am »

We have no plans for Qobuz or Tidal.

You might take a look at Cloudplay.

Thanks for keeping us in business.  ;)

jhwalker

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2023, 01:54:24 pm »

We have no plans for Qobuz or Tidal.

You might take a look at Cloudplay.

Thanks for keeping us in business.  ;)

That's a shame - I was actively evaluating switching to Media Center from Roon, but definitely will not if major streaming services are not supported.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2023, 03:25:55 pm »

That's a shame - I was actively evaluating switching to Media Center from Roon, but definitely will not if major streaming services are not supported.
You can play Tidal and Qobuz using MC's audio engine by using the WDM driver:

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/WDM_Driver

Cloudplay is built into MC.

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Cloudplay
Pages: [1]   Go Up