INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WASAPI exclusive letting stuff through  (Read 1400 times)

ferday

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
WASAPI exclusive letting stuff through
« on: February 12, 2021, 06:49:56 pm »

lately the internet and system sounds are pushing through the exclusive WASAPI

i haven't changed any settings, maybe windows has done something - any thoughts?  the windows settings are set to allow applications to have exclusivity

ferday

• MC Beta Team
Re: WASAPI exclusive letting stuff through
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2021, 03:52:59 am »

this is really starting to drive me crazy

i cannot find a combination of settings where MC will take actual exclusive control.  system sounds and general net surfing always break in.  i can't be the only one??

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2021, 04:10:08 am »

I assume you know all this, but perhaps its worth to re-read the Requirements part to see if there's some detail that might be causing that:
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Exclusive_Access

could be the audio driver... try a newer/older version.

imeric

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2021, 07:47:04 am »

lately the internet and system sounds are pushing through the exclusive WASAPI

i haven't changed any settings, maybe windows has done something - any thoughts?  the windows settings are set to allow applications to have exclusivity

Yep same here!! You’re not alone something is going on.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2021, 07:55:16 am »

While playing, you might go into Control Panel and try the shared sound test. When I do that, I get a message that the device is in use. But, my MC and Windows 10 are not up to date.

imeric

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2021, 08:09:02 am »

OK I did some more tests and it seems specific to 88.2 KHz. Behavior seems ok for the other sampling rates ie MC will not play if Output is not set correctly except for 88.2 where it will resample to 48 KHz and it shouldn't.

See snapshots attached.

imeric

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2021, 08:18:05 am »

However I think problem is two-fold. My post above which is MC specific and THEN what the OP is experiencing:   I can reproduce the OP's issue with my laptop sound card and Foobar so not MCs fault...

For my laptop: When using Wasapi if the sampling is anything but 48KHz (the only sample rate laptop can support), it will still play and you see it playing through the Windows Volume mixer...Normally I should get an error message saying it can't play with this output format. Like I said Foobar WASAPI is doing the same so looks like something changed in Windows behaviour...

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2021, 09:11:24 am »

I tried my laptop audio setting. It only has 48 KHz output. MC (.28) plays a 44.1 Khz file OK, even thought Windows shows that the Realtek chip does not support 44.1 KHz. DSP Studio has No Change for 44.1 KHz and Audio Path does not show any re-sampling. So, I have to conclude that Windows is converting 44.1 to 48 in order to play the 44.1 track, despite using WASAPI Exclusive. I also upsampled a 44.1 track to 192 and Audio Path reports doing that. But, it still plays, even though the Realtek does not support 192. This is the type of behavior you would expect from WASAPI Non-Exclusive.

I also tried my laptop's HDMI output. It does not support 88 or 176 KHz and when I try to play 44.1 upsampled by MC to 88 or 176 KHz MC correctly reports that it cannot play to that sample rate.  It does not convert to 48 KHz, which my HDMI plays.

So, different behavior between my imbedded Realtek and my HDMI. Unfortunately, I do not have a usb DAC here to try.

Could it be specific to Realtek? ferday - what are you using for your audio?

imeric

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2021, 09:25:09 am »

I tried my laptop audio setting. It only has 48 KHz output. MC (.28) plays a 44.1 Khz file OK, even thought Windows shows that the Realtek chip does not support 44.1 KHz. DSP Studio has No Change for 44.1 KHz and Audio Path does not show any re-sampling. So, I have to conclude that Windows is converting 44.1 to 48 in order to play the 44.1 track, despite using WASAPI Exclusive. I also upsampled a 44.1 track to 192 and Audio Path reports doing that. But, it still plays, even though the Realtek does not support 192. This is the type of behavior you would expect from WASAPI Non-Exclusive.
Yep this is what I get with my HP laptop. Laptop soundcard is Conexant.
Other PC with MOBO Realtek and problem with snapshots above does exactly what it should except for 88.2 KHz where MC is INTERNALLY resampling to 48KHz without me asking for this...So this is different than my laptop behaviour with the Conexant internal soundcard...

As for my Dragonfly DAC on the HP laptop WASAPI (event) works as expected and won't play at all if sampling rate is not set-up correctly in MC (wanted.). I can test on more devices and DACs later on today...

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2021, 10:01:35 am »

MC is INTERNALLY resampling to 48KHz without me asking for this
Does Audio Path shows MC resampling to 48kHz? If not, then its not MC thats doing it.

Its possible that Realtec implemented their drivers that way ... to maximize "compatibility" ... so when you try to play something that Realtec does not support in exclusive, it automatically "exit" exclusive mode to resample at 48kHz as observed by @dtc
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

imeric

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2021, 10:09:18 am »

Does Audio Path shows MC resampling to 48kHz? If not, then its not MC thats doing it.

Its possible that Realtec implemented their drivers that way ... to maximize "compatibility" ... so when you try to play something that Realtec does not support in exclusive, it automatically "exit" exclusive mode to resample at 48kHz as observed by @dtc

Look at my snaphots...This is new behaviour and no drivers were updated.

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2021, 10:13:28 am »

Look at my snaphots...This is new behaviour and no drivers were updated.
Indeed ... your screen shot shows MC resampling

Very strange

HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2021, 11:45:23 am »

Indeed ... your screen shot shows MC resampling

Very strange

Whereas I do not see any upsampling in MC, yet my 44.1 tracks play, even though Windows reports than 44.1 is not supported.  Same with the tracks that MC upsamples to 88 and 176.

imeric

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2021, 01:47:30 pm »

Whereas I do not see any upsampling in MC, yet my 44.1 tracks play, even though Windows reports than 44.1 is not supported.  Same with the tracks that MC upsamples to 88 and 176.
This is why as per my comments above I see these as 2 different problems...Root cause might be the same though if Windows changed something with WASAPI...

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2021, 04:51:42 pm »

There are changes coming to address these issues.

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2021, 06:25:36 pm »

thanks for looking guys!

i'll check the latest verison as well as some of the tips here.  FWIW i use an essence soundcard and it seems unrelated to sample frequency on first glance

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2021, 01:06:55 pm »

Guys, the Realtek drivers are garbage for their own hardware, in general. The hardware IS often capable of 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96 and 192 (not 176.4), but the Realtek drivers disable some of these, usually 88.2.
Try the generic Windows High definition Audio drivers for much better results. You can do this by updating drivers from Device manager, browsing for drivers and "let me pick". You may need a restart. This definitely works for the ALC 892, 887, and 1220 audio chips; YMMV with others

imeric

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2021, 01:52:18 pm »

Guys, the Realtek drivers are garbage for their own hardware, in general. The hardware IS often capable of 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96 and 192 (not 176.4), but the Realtek drivers disable some of these, usually 88.2.
Try the generic Windows High definition Audio drivers for much better results. You can do this by updating drivers from Device manager, browsing for drivers and "let me pick". You may need a restart. This definitely works for the ALC 892, 887, and 1220 audio chips; YMMV with others
1/2 Issue was on a Conexant driver not Realtek.  The Realtek issue in my case was inside MC and got resolved with .70.  The other issue as per the OP has something to do with Windows and or my Conexant drivers I think....

I did some more tests on 2 other PCs and everything looks fine now it's just the HP laptop...And I need to reinforce Foobar and MC WASAPI do the same thing so nothing to do with MC IMHO...

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/updating-to-windows-10-version-2004conexant/c98ac1c5-0ddb-4964-b50d-9b3720ac7122?page=25

Wondering if the OP also has an HP Elitebook Laptop with a Conexant soundacrd?

I'll try to roll back drivers or use the Microsoft ones as suggested in the url above

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2021, 02:20:31 pm »

I am not actually using the Realtek for anything. I just wanted to test it. I was just surprised that MC played to a sample rate that Windows Sound Panel did not show as supported.  Unfortunately, I have no way to tell what sample rate Windows is actually using.  I guess it is possible that the Realtek supports 44.1 and somehow MC knows that, although I would think it would recognize the same sample rates as Windows.

imeric

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2021, 02:57:28 pm »

I am not actually using the Realtek for anything. I just wanted to test it. I was just surprised that MC played to a sample rate that Windows Sound Panel did not show as supported.  Unfortunately, I have no way to tell what sample rate Windows is actually using.  I guess it is possible that the Realtek supports 44.1 and somehow MC knows that, although I would think it would recognize the same sample rates as Windows.
Same thing here with the Laptop Conexant which is only used for Work Stuff and Meetings but still, it should respect WASAPI exclusive and it isn't.  Did I say I really think MC is not doing anything wrong and the problem is elsewhere :-) ?

See snapshots attached showing what's going on on the laptop with the Conexant. Notice that we can see sound from MC going through, normally this stays greyed out for WASAPI.
Pages: [1]   Go Up