INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MKV file takes forever to skip ahead [Solved -- Bad File]  (Read 962 times)

slerch666

• World Citizen
MKV file takes forever to skip ahead [Solved -- Bad File]
« on: February 18, 2021, 10:17:13 am »

Looking for some input and things to try.

I have a 5.5 GB MKV that I created using OBS studio (live concert I paid for and want to continue to have access to view).

Audio is AAC. Video is MPEG4 AVC.

The problem I have is, when I open the file in JRiver, the file starts to play when I press play, as expected.

The problem arises when I try to skip ahead. I drag the file location bar over, it moves immediately but then the video pauses in place and if I let it sit, will eventually after about 30-60 seconds start the video to where I skipped to.  If I skip too far into the file it can take 2-3 minutes (say I skip to say, 42 minutes into the 1 hr 13 minute video) to load to that point.

I then open the file with PowerDVD (ewe) using WASAPI and/or DirectSound (swapped from WASAPI to DS and back). It starts immediately, it skips forward and back instantly.

Based on PowerDVD not hating the file, I decided to try the following, with no success:

1) Disabled Windows Defender (already excluding JRiver files/folders)
2) Adjust Red October from HQ to standard
3) Disabled Hardware accelerate video decoding
4) Set to use DirectSound instead of ASIO
5) Disable all DSP Studio options

I can play MKVs I have made from DVD/BD/UHD BD rips without a problem.
AVC is generally the same, so the only difference I can see besides file content is MKVs I create aren't AAC. No clue why that would impact anything but figure I would mention.

Anyone have any other things I can do to try to get this working as expected... outside of having to use PowerDVD?

Thanks!

slerch666

• World Citizen
Re: MKV file takes forever to skip ahead
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2021, 10:32:42 am »

Got the details from MadVR.
Attached to this post in case it helps.

tij

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2021, 10:45:40 am »

I had something similar ... MC wont skip properly ... MPCHC wont skip propetly ... but VLC did

End up remuxing file with MKV tollnix ... and it seems to fix it ... my guess, in my case it was bad indexing in original mkv (and remuxing it might have rebuild indexing)
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2021, 10:54:46 am »

Sounds like your live recording lacks a seek table, which allows seeking in a MKV. You should probably remux it with eg. mkvmerge (from MKVToolNix as suggested above) to fix it.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

slerch666

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2021, 11:30:47 am »

Thanks for the responses!

I just ran it through MKVToolnix. I didn't make any changes, just told it to remux.

The file is about 26 kb larger than the original.

Seeking still doesn't help.

Did I miss something I need to click in the remux process? Guessing yes but after looking at settings I can control, not sure what is relevant.

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2021, 11:48:27 am »

To be honest it was not easy ... i used command line for mkvmerge (included in mkvtoolnix) to extract raw video and raw audio into 2 separate files ... then use mkvtoolnix gui to remux them back

Not sure ... but i think extracting raw data stripped it of corrupted indexing ... then mkvtoolnix rebuild it from scratch

There is option somewhere for rebuilding indexing in mkvtoolnix ... but it didnt work for me ... i had to extract raws then remux back to fix my mkv
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

slerch666

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2021, 11:50:25 am »

So demux, then remux and hopefully that fixes it.

Will give that a shot! Thanks again!

slerch666

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2021, 12:02:14 pm »

tij and Hendrik, thanks for the help!

Demuxed, spot checked audio and video, seemed OK.

Use MKVToolnix to remux, dropped into JRiver and... boom! It works as expected!

Thank you both for the help!
Pages: [1]   Go Up