INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: UX Suggestions for Setup  (Read 1633 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
UX Suggestions for Setup
« on: February 24, 2021, 06:41:32 am »

We've been told a few times that we should hire a User Experience (UX) designer.  I thought if we waited long enough, one might find us.

Petr, from Prague, wrote us a letter to remove his address from our list and mentioned that he had a few problems on installing and so gave up.  I asked him what they were and he responded.  With his permission, I'm posting what he sent.  It's well worth a read.

https://www.notion.so/Installing-JRiver-Media-Center-and-getting-to-an-OKish-state-d3ca1adb6f834201b66897d7b3ed2461

Thanks, Petr!

jkauff

• World Citizen
Re: UX Suggestions for Setup
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2021, 02:35:08 pm »

Very good of him to document his experience so thoroughly.

He pointed out a lot of issues that have been discussed here before. I wonder how many other new users have abandoned MC without letting you know. One is too many.

Wheaten

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2021, 04:47:43 pm »

Kudos for Petr, for writing it in such funny way to read.
All that he's pointing out is indeed very recognisable.
People that are using MC for a long time, know by now what to do where, but as a new user it might scare you off.

Back to the drawing board, paper prototyping, workflows and rebuild.  ;D
You have the beta team for the UAT.

HaWi

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2021, 10:03:40 am »

People that are using MC for a long time, know by now what to do where, but as a new user it might scare you off.
Indeed, I bought MC20 or 21, can't remember, a while back and didn't have the tome to get into it, which was a shame. Now I have the time it is still a steep learning curve. To me, in a way, the most frustrating (when things don't work) and at the same time the most satisfying (when things work, thanks to you all on this forum!) experience with a piece of software I can think of.
rPi5/8GB, Debian 12 Bookworm on SSD | JRMark (32.0.36 64 bit): 2699
MacBookPro (2013), 2.6 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, MacOS 11.7.17 | JRMark (32.0.38 64 bit): 3764
Mac Studio M2 Max, 64GB, 1TB SSD, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1 | JRMark (32.0.38 64 bit): 9235
Docker Container (shiomax) DS1819+ | JRMark (32.0.36 64 bit): 1430
JRemote 3.43
MO 4Media 1.5.7 | Marantz SR7007 (RSL 5.1) HDMI to MacBookPro

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2021, 08:41:57 am »

Petr, thanks so much for your work!

I made a couple changes as a result of your comments for the next build:
Changed: Default to the last location at startup instead of the start page.
Changed: Renamed "Reset Selection" to "Clear" in the panes.

The checkboxes in the panes are a feature we call pane tagging.  If you click one of them, it will show you a nice explanation (and a way to cancel).  If you pick any file, the checkboxes will appear.  Then you can quickly switch a value using them.  But they don't default to enabled, so you click, see the message, say you're doing it intentionally, then proceed.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

wer

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2021, 03:14:46 pm »

When there is sufficient capability in any system, there will always be elements of complexity in the user interface.  It is unavoidable.

Elements of complexity in a user interface will cause confusion or lack of understanding in some people. It is unavoidable.

The ease with which a user can overcome this, to understand the interface or functionality presented, immediately through documentation or context-sensitive help, is an essential component of the User Experience.

Some applications have context sensitive help, whereby you can hit a key (shift-F1, commonly) and the pointer turns to a question mark. Point and click on a UI element, and actual help information pops up telling the user what that element does, and linking to related info.  Imagine if MC had that.  Most user interface questions (like what to those boxes do?!?! make them go away!!) would have been answered.

Wheaten

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2021, 05:27:37 pm »

But there is also some inconsistency between the OS release, like the DSP studio:

Windows Missing (Done button):

Linux:

Petr Stedry

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2021, 01:47:53 pm »

Hi all 👋

It warms my heart when I see you working to improve the user experience of MC!

Definitely looking forward to those changes trickle down to my machine, Matt  👍  🙂

To reply to wer → I'd be wary of these problematic situations with regards to complex UIs:
  • There is a user that does not need a feature, yet has to ignore it in the UI (the Product manager did not say NO enough times?, someone outside of the target audience is trying to use the product?)
  • There is a user that needs a feature, yet does not understand how to use the UI to get the expected result (the person designing the UI has still some work to do)

#1 is not helped by supplying the user with more information, only #2 is – and the goal of the help is not to teach the user basic information about what he wants to do, but rather how to use the available controls to achieve what they need.

Just like today morning, when the man installing the solar power plant in our house explained to me what I should put in if I want the boiler to heat the water when we're producing power (see attachment, it's really worth it ;) ).

P.S.: The better the person designing the UI understands the knowledge, mental models, skills, and expectations of the primary target audience the better the outcome.

WattRouter Settings

Petr Stedry

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2021, 01:51:26 pm »

Also, if you know how to make the image I attached NOT TO SHOW automatically, please go ahead and edit my post. Didn't show up in the Preview, so I "published away". 🤦

P.S.: I am using YABB for the first time in the last 10 years or so.

Petr Stedry

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2021, 02:30:19 pm »

P.P.S.: There are a few more "wishes" (aka observations) on the original page that you might have missed. The last one was added today where I was influenced by Wheaten sharing the DSP Studio dialog in his post in this thread. Just go back to the page with my journey and click the triangle next to the last item that gets highlighted

wer

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2021, 02:53:56 pm »

To reply to wer → I'd be wary of these problematic situations with regards to complex UIs:
  • There is a user that does not need a feature, yet has to ignore it in the UI (the Product manager did not say NO enough times?, someone outside of the target audience is trying to use the product?)
  • There is a user that needs a feature, yet does not understand how to use the UI to get the expected result (the person designing the UI has still some work to do)

#1 is not helped by supplying the user with more information, only #2 is – and the goal of the help is not to teach the user basic information about what he wants to do, but rather how to use the available controls to achieve what they need.
P.S.: The better the person designing the UI understands the knowledge, mental models, skills, and expectations of the primary target audience the better the outcome.

Petr, you seem to be asserting that if the UI designer has done his job correctly, then:
1. The user will always be able to understand the interface without information, documentation, or anything else.
2. That the user will never have to see interface elements for a feature he does not want.

But these things are just false. You seem to have fallen into common traps: believing what is true of you is true of everyone else, and believing that all users are the same, or homogeneous. Your point #1 seems to say that if you can find a user who doesn't want a particular feature, the Product Manager should not have put that feature in. Absurd. You'd end up with a product with no features at all, since you can always find someone who doesn't need something.

The fact of the matter is that users have different needs, and different abilities.  Regardless of the type of product, some users are extremely clever and technical, and some users are extremely stupid and clumsy.  For a product like MC, some users want video capabilities, whereas some users only want audio, and they don't want to see anything having to do with video.  Some users want customization, some users want nothing other than for the app to play their music when they tap it.

Just because you do not want to see an interface element, does not mean that no one else wants to see it either. Should MC have more hideable controls? Sure. But any controls hidden by default would result in complaints by users. Then there'd have to be controls to hide and unhide the controls. UIs don't function telepathically.

Consider the simplest possible appliance: a toaster.  Even a child must be shown how to use it the first time.  If you live in a town with absolutely no crime, the car you purchase will still have locks.

I do not dispute that the MC interface could be improved.  But because of the requirements of its users, it must do many, MANY things. Because of that, there must be a certain amount of complexity that requires explanation.  The more functionality your take out or hide, to protect the sensibilities of people who don't want those features, the more you impair people who do.

Consider what Apple has done with their phone OS, now called iOS. They have more UI and UX designers than you can shake a stick at.  The early interfaces had very simple touch controls. And Apple was met with constant cries of "WTF! There is no way for me to do this, or that, or this other thing."  Now look at all the different ways you have to tap and hold and press harder swipe left, right, up, down, 2-fingers, 4-fingers, and all sorts of other non-intuitive nonsense.  Or consider the paradox of buttons and icons: small pictures labeled with words are provably more usable and understandable than small pictures without.  But label all the buttons, and people complain that too much space is taken up on the screen.  Once you learn what a pictogram means, it is easier. But before that, it is not.  Have you ever tried introducing an elderly person to a modern audio device?  They ask where the PLAY button is. A right-pointing triangle is not PLAY until you learn that.

People have various levels of knowledge and experience that they bring with them.  There is no application, or device, that can be all things to all people, and to assert otherwise is nonsense.  Because of the diversity of the user community, there is no way to make an interface that satisfies all people with regards to simplicity and hiding things they don't use, but still provides everything that everyone else wants, and requires no explanation.  A couple of small tweaks, like changing "Reset selection" to "Clear" and then avoiding any startup-guide/documentation/help and info just doesn't get it done.

JRiver should do better in UI design. But it is not "doing better" to pursue solely something that cannot be achieved at the expense of something that is required.  In other words, the MC interface should be improved, but it should be done along with providing the user the help and information they need, instead of thinking "just do the interface right and everyone will always understand everything".  The catch-22 is that JRiver will not do better documentation, and it's impossible to make the application so simplistic that no documentation is needed. So there will always be a gap, with people posting how it's too hard and needs to be better.

Sorry if this sounded like a bit of a rant, but this subject regarding MC has been getting discussed, in one form or another for years. And the broader subject of UI design for decades.

You're not the first, or only, person who wants the MC experience improved.

Petr Stedry

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2021, 03:57:25 pm »

Let me clarify.

What I wanted to say was that (perhaps I used too many words? 🤔):
→ in complex UIs those were two situations I would be more "careful" when designing for
AND
→ One of them is not helped (in terms of making the user satisfy his needs faster) by adding additional information to the user

Not that there are only these two situations, nor that everyone should be able to use any interface when first seeing it, nor that all interfaces are equally useable by anyone nor any of the multitude of statements you mention in your post (and that I do not wish to continue discussing).

Also, I think that these assumptions are valid and applicable in this case, given my experience:
1. The higher the number of features, the higher the number of interface elements
2. The higher the number of interface elements, the higher the cognitive load for a person to operate the interface
3. The lower the ratio of interface elements understood by the user to the total interface elements, the higher the time to find the element the person wants to use
4. The better the person designing the interface understands the people he is designing for, the more useful, learnable, and useable the interface will be
5. The more times a feature is not added to a product (given a finite total amount of features considered for addition), the fewer features it contains
6. The higher the ratio of features the user needs and knows how to use to total features, the higher the satisfaction of the user

I would end this nighttime thread (it's 10:57 PM around here) with a thought to reflect upon:

Each piece of software (and also its interface) is like a glacial valley. It was not created in a vacuum in an instant. It took a lot of forces (laws of physics, gravity, sunlight, wind, human work, microorganisms, or maybe even simple plants) a long time to create it. Now, that the glacier is gone it is hard to tell what those forces were. Yet the valley is there. The only testament to the forces that created it.

jkauff

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2021, 07:32:06 am »

As a retired UX Designer with 40 years of experience, I can vouch for much of what Petr is saying. When you have users with different skill levels, experience, and needs, you need to accommodate multiple mental models. Power users don't mind a few extra clicks, because they don't change their setup very often once they've set things the way they want them, but the structure of the UI needs to make it obvious where those advanced features are. It also needs to provide a clear "path" for less experienced users to accomplish things like initial setup.

One truism I've learned is that UX Designers make lousy developers, because they don't understand the ramifications of making UI changes. Conversely, developers make lousy UX Designers because they have the whole structure of the program in their heads and can't possibly put themselves in the shoes of a novice. This can be easily demonstrated by putting designers in the observation room of a User Testing Lab and giving a short list of tasks to a variety of novice users.

MC does need a UX Designer, because that person will bring a totally different set of skills and tools to the task that developers should not be expected to have or develop. It's a waste of their valuable time.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2021, 08:49:32 am »

But there is also some inconsistency between the OS release, like the DSP studio:

Windows Missing (Done button):

Linux:

There are 2 places in Linux MC that add a close button that aren't in the other OS versions.
This is for the specific reason that linux doesn't have to have a window manager (or even a GUI).
The close button in those 2 places allows linux MC to run without a window manager.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2021, 09:10:00 am »

There are 2 places in Linux MC that add a close button that aren't in the other OS versions.
This is for the specific reason that linux doesn't have to have a window manager (or even a GUI).
The close button in those 2 places allows linux MC to run without a window manager.
I also think there's a button missing on Windows.  The Load/Save button isn't a close or done button.   I believe it just loads and saves configurations.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2021, 11:42:20 am »

I also think there's a button missing on Windows.  The Load/Save button isn't a close or done button.   I believe it just loads and saves configurations.

DSP Studio never had a "close" or "done" button on Windows, historically people just used the X, which should be a very well known window management pattern on Windows.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2021, 11:52:33 am »

DSP Studio never had a "close" or "done" button on Windows, historically people just used the X, which should be a very well known window management pattern on Windows.

I just added a "Done" button to DSP Studio.  I've heard it reported a few times and it fits fine.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

lepa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2021, 01:07:04 pm »

Yep, Windows 10 Settings pages for example doesn't have any ok/apply but just X when you are done

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2021, 01:17:53 pm »

Let's compromise: leave the "Done" button, and when the user clicks it display a message "Please use the X button to close".

;-)

wer

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2021, 01:29:37 pm »

Zybex was making a joke, but there will be users saying things along the lines of "After I finished trying things in DSP Studio, I clicked the X button instead of DONE, because obviously that means I want to exit without saving my changes, and it didn't undo my changes!  What went wrong? This seems very unintuitive."

There will always be people who "think different".

lepa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2021, 02:07:16 pm »

Cancel button saved me on options page a few times after I have pasted some juggernaut theaterview expression to wrong field so I don't diss ok/cancel button

wer

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2021, 02:13:58 pm »

Agreed, but the changes in DSP Studio are all made live, so making X act like Cancel would be complicated, as well as confusing users used to the old way. So would some say there has to be both DONE and CANCEL buttons?  I'm just saying, it's hard to avoid complaints.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2021, 02:46:40 pm »

IMV actual useful feature is back/forward buttons in dsp studio. Adding a done button to mean "close" seems completely redundant to me.

jkauff

• World Citizen
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2021, 07:21:10 am »

Historically, the "X" box in the Windows title bar means "Close" with an implied Cancel. You'll often see resulting dialogs asking if you want to exit a) discarding changes, or b) saving changes.

In DSP Studio, some users would probably like a multi-step Undo, but for most people I think a Save Changes/Cancel button pair would work fine. The problems with using the "X" in the title bar are a) it's non-standard behavior, and b) the user gets no feedback about whether the changes were applied or not. Save Changes is redundant the way DSP Studio is coded, but that's OK if it re-assures the user.

lepa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2021, 02:08:55 am »

Agreed, but the changes in DSP Studio are all made live, so making X act like Cancel would be complicated, as well as confusing users used to the old way. So would some say there has to be both DONE and CANCEL buttons?  I'm just saying, it's hard to avoid complaints.
Yes, didn't mean that DSP should have Cancel-button but just in general that sometimes it can be useful when there is some complicated stuff you have done and not sure if you screwed it up

For DSP I think that it should follow current modern UI principles which for me seems to be (at least what I see on Windows and Ubuntu) that there is only X (no ok/apply/cancel/done or whatever) which closes the DSP window and whatever is set is set. Not important topic for me though so whatever suits me
Pages: [1]   Go Up