INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why does JRiver randomly re-import my entire library?  (Read 862 times)

Mike Rubin

• World Citizen
Why does JRiver randomly re-import my entire library?
« on: February 24, 2021, 06:10:29 pm »

Every now and then JRiver runs a scan on my NAS music directory and, for whatever reason, re-imports some or all 5tb of it.  I don't really mind that much EXCEPT it makes the "recent albums" display kind of useless.  That is my most frequently used folder because I like at least to sample new material after I import it and now the most recent stuff is buried under a few hundred thousand "more recent" memories.

To my knowledge, I've done nothing that would change any of these files, so I don't know what MC thinks requires them to be imported again.

newsposter

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Why does JRiver randomly re-import my entire library?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2021, 06:33:29 pm »

Is the NAS serving up the directories as CIFS or iSCSI with a mount point?

Mike Rubin

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2021, 06:47:18 pm »

EDIT:  See newer post, below.

ORIGINAL:  Thanks for jumping in. Not positive that I understand the question entirely, but Synology's webpage says it serves the directories to Windows 10 machines as iSCSI. I don't believe I have done anything to change a setting that would cause it to be anything other than the default protocol.

The NAS music directory is mapped to my Windows 10 computer as Drive M.  I therefore was able to set up MC's auto-import directory as just "M:\," not "\\medianas\music."

If that isn't helpful, please let me know how I can figure out the correct response. 

Mike Rubin

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2021, 06:52:28 pm »

Actually, I just read more about iSCSI on Synology NAS devices.  Apparently, one has to initialize it to work with Windows 10.  I am certain I never have done that, so perhaps CIFS is how the NAS serves the content.

wer

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2021, 07:24:50 pm »

To eliminate any uncertainty as to how the connection is made, at a command prompt you can just enter "net use" and it will report network shares that are attached.

Mike, let me offer a couple of pieces of advice...

Until the problem that's causing this reimporting is resolved, you might consider if you actually need auto import. Unless you're constantly updating your files using other programs, you probably don't need it and can just turn it off.

Secondly, I would strongly advise you to reconfigure your Recent Albums view so it does not depend on Date Imported. That's just a bad practice. There may well arise legitimate reasons why you may actually need to reimport files at some point, and breaking the Recent Albums view is a drag.  If you create a custom date field, "Date Acquired" you can base your Recent Albums view on that. It is no additional overhead as you can have MC automatically fill out the field on first import. But as a separate, custom field, it is not subject to modification the next time you import the file. Just ensure the field is saved in file tags. It's a much better solution and will keep your Recent Albums view from ever getting wrecked.

Mike Rubin

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2021, 07:37:24 pm »

To eliminate any uncertainty as to how the connection is made, at a command prompt you can just enter "net use" and it will report network shares that are attached.

Mike, let me offer a couple of pieces of advice...

Until the problem that's causing this reimporting is resolved, you might consider if you actually need auto import. Unless you're constantly updating your files using other programs, you probably don't need it and can just turn it off.

Secondly, I would strongly advise you to reconfigure your Recent Albums view so it does not depend on Date Imported. That's just a bad practice. There may well arise legitimate reasons why you may actually need to reimport files at some point, and breaking the Recent Albums view is a drag.  If you create a custom date field, "Date Acquired" you can base your Recent Albums view on that. It is no additional overhead as you can have MC automatically fill out the field on first import. But as a separate, custom field, it is not subject to modification the next time you import the file. Just ensure the field is saved in file tags. It's a much better solution and will keep your Recent Albums view from ever getting wrecked.

Thank you. I will follow your suggestions.

whoareyou

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2021, 09:54:30 am »

Configuring date acquired is very good suggestion.
I set this up and now have more general question regarding the Manage Library Fields / Save in file tags (when possible)

I configured to "save in file tags (when possible)" and thought the value would be written back to the just imported file. 

Is "save in file tags" supposed to happen automatically, or do you have to manually update the file's tags from library?

Windows 11 Pro
Intel i7-12700K / 32MBRam /
ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 4070
4K Sony x900h

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2021, 09:58:36 am »

Is "save in file tags" supposed to happen automatically, or do you have to manually update the file's tags from library?

It happens automatically when a tag is changed. You can also do it manually from Library Tools.

whoareyou

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2021, 10:28:23 am »

So in context of this thread.  I've imported an album and, as expected, a "Date Acquired" tag is written to the database.

But, the Date Acquired tag is not written to the file until I manually update.  Is this the expected behavior?

Thanks
Windows 11 Pro
4K Sony x900h

wer

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2021, 01:07:40 pm »

I can confirm what you're seeing.  If you use tag on import, and "save in file tags" is enabled for the field, MC does NOT write the tag to the file when it is modified by tag on import, if you are doing a manual "Import a single folder".  The database is updated, but you have to manually to an "update tags from library" afterwards to actually write the file.  If the file is imported by auto-import (running in the background) then the file tag is actually written. (There's a separate area to configure tag-on-import rules for auto-import than for "import a single folder").

I don't think this is how it should behave, and I've reported it as an issue.

whoareyou

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2021, 04:13:33 pm »

I don't think this is how it should behave, and I've reported it as an issue.

Thanks
Windows 11 Pro
4K Sony x900h

Sky King

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2021, 11:27:47 am »

If you create a custom date field, "Date Acquired" you can base your Recent Albums view on that. It is no additional overhead as you can have MC automatically fill out the field on first import. But as a separate, custom field, it is not subject to modification the next time you import the file. Just ensure the field is saved in file tags. It's a much better solution and will keep your Recent Albums view from ever getting wrecked.

Hi wer.  I am trying to follow your advice.  I created a custom "Date Acquired" field but can't figure out how to get MC to automatically fill in the field.  The flags set is "Audio", the User data is data type "Date", Relational is set to "Not relational", the edit type is Standard and I have checked the "Save in file tags" field.  I've also tried "Calculated value" for the Data but couldn't find any combination that would make it work.  Any idea where I am going wrong?  (Incidentally, I inadvertently set the Calculated value data for Date Acquired to Date Acquired and I was able to crash MC27 each and every time I tried to "tag" something manually.)

I set up a View with Date Acquired and could get the program to display what I wanted but only by manually tagging the "Date Acquired" field.

I believe you also said that you could get the "Recent Albums" view to key off the new "Date Acquired" field but I couldn't figure out how to modify the "Recent Albums" view.

Thanks in advance if you are able to help!

wer

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2021, 01:40:27 pm »

If you want MC to fill out the field automatically when you import a file, you need to use Tag on Import.  See this article:
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Tag_on_Import

You'd need to configure a rule for Date Acquired like this one:
Code: [Select]
If(IsEqual([Media Type],Audio,1),FormatDate(Now(),M//d//%Y),)Make sure to set it to skip files that already have a value.

If you don't know how to modify your Recent Albums view, you need to read Marko's excellent tutorial:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=68960.0

You will need to change the sorting of the view, using the View Header Menu, to sort by your Date Acquired field.

I hope this helps...
Pages: [1]   Go Up