INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tagging issues during playback, anyone? Are you using Soundspectrum?  (Read 1865 times)

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

I've used Soundspectrum's Aeon and GForce visuals for many, many, hassle free years. The 'hassle free' is key here, because it simply never featured on my radar when this problem cropped up, repeatedly...

Create an expression column in a file list
Start some music playing
Edit that expression column (or try adding another one)

Note that after pressing OK, the column does not update (or appear) until playback is stopped.

Possibly, worse still...
During audio playback, add an expression pane by clicking on an existing pane header...
Note that the pane is not added...
Click away to another view...
Click back to the view you added the pane to...
The pane is still not added, stop playback and MC crashes into oblivion!

I also had one where, when clicking away from an edited view, I was correctly prompted as to whether or not I wanted to save my changes. I clicked yes, but my changes were NOT saved.

I've gone all the way back to build 45 trying to find when this was introduced, but it's still doing it, even that far back, so I gave up.
I was using simple expression panes of =[artist], also, it doesn't have to be expression panes, trying to add a basic library field pane shows the same behaviour.

If it has really been around at least as far back as March, I would have thought this would have been hilighted by now, which then has me wondering... is it just me?

It was 'just me'. I tried all I could think of, AV wise, new library, and so on... eventually, going as far as a clean installation of Windows 10 20H2, figuring this could be no bad thing anyway seeing as this existing 'Windows' began life as a Windows 8, and has been repeatedly updated by windows update, I've lost count of how many times... I just hate doing it, is all...

So, job done, all is good, and problem has gone away. Set about about putting everything 'back where I like it', and, when that was done, problem was back. Grrr.

Turns out, it's Soundspectrum! With Playing Now open in an inactive tab, and music playing, any and all tagging is blocked, as is the addition of or removal of, columns in a file list, and, in quite short order after these failures, MC will crash, and nothing is applied.

All of this running Aeon 410, and GForce 582

Will see if there's anything Andy can do about this, but figured that this info could be useful to someone else out there...

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Tagging issues during playback, anyone? Are you using Soundspectrum?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2021, 12:53:09 pm »

Hi Mark.  Thanks for posting that and well done finding it.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2021, 01:35:36 pm »

Support request has been submitted....

Good evening, as a long time supporter of both Aeon and GForce, I have to report a problem with both visualisers when running inside JRiver Media Center.

See this thread over at Interact: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,128741.0.html

I have installed the latest trial versions of both and can confirm the bad behaviour still exists with these too.

Steps:
Have Playing Now open, begin music playback and set either Aeon or GForce to display.

Switch to a different panes tab, and in the file list, right click on a column header and choose "add Expression Column".

Use the simple expression =[genre] and press OK.

The column is NOT added.
Stop playback. Now column appears.
If you switch away from this view to another tab, and them back, and then stop playback, MC will crash.

Similar problems are exhibited in the tag window when editing list type fields during playback.... Edits are simply not applied, and eventually, MC will crash.

Switch the display to any of the default bundled visualisers and this problem goes away completely, switch back to either of the Soundspectrum visualisers, and the problem returns.

I am happy to upgrade my licenses for both Aeon and GForce if this issue can be resolved.

Looking forward to your response, regards,

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2021, 01:42:36 pm »

This does not seem to be a problem if you try to replicate the issue using the file list in the Playing Now view, nor can I reproduce the issue if you close the Playing Now tab, which opens the little display window down by the Action Window...

However, if you open the tag window, which minimises the little display window, the issue returns, and, you don't need to stop playback to have the column you specified appear, you just need to bring the little display window back into view, and tadaa, the column is added.

Hopefully Soundspectrum will read this, as it was not included in the support request.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2021, 01:07:23 am »

I feel for Soundspectrum...

Brandon has responded. They are struggling with the ever increasing restrictions imposed by Microsoft and Apple.
Hopefully I can get this resolved. Currently updates are on a provisional basis.

They've been as helpful as they could, but, while I'm not 100% sure what "provisional" means, I'm guessing I shouldn't hold my breath while waiting for a fix.

I will still use Aeon and GForce, but, now that I know, only on the HTPC where they should be safe, for the time being, at least.

-marko

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2021, 11:30:25 pm »

Pulled from the 28.0.49 build thread, awaiting response from jkrzok...
With this version, and perhaps the last, MC will not rename (move) files if music is playing.

I had a workflow where I would tag and rename files in MC while listening to music with no issues but have noticed in the last few days that MC would not rename files while music was playing. At first I thought it was an AV issue as it appeared that renaming was just delayed; I think now that the files would be renamed when the playing tracks changed. I will see it every time when I hit the stop button; all the files would be moved or renamed all at once. Oddly (to me) playing a video in MC had no effect on moving or renaming files. So I launched a streaming service (Tidal) as a work-around while I finished my tagging task (I just got the 200+ CD JS Bach complete box set from DG) and noticed that file operations stopped again while the music played. Close Tidal and the files moved. I use MC's driver in Tidal.
Are you using any visualisations from Soundspectrum? If the answer is "Yes", try switching to cover art instead, then try again... I'm pretty confident that will solve your issue. Let us know. :)

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2023, 03:04:44 pm »

Things appear to be going from bad to worse...

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2023, 05:21:25 pm »

Matt checked our source.  That's not coming from MC.  Is Soundspectrum installed?

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2023, 12:13:19 am »

Yes. That's the point. It's Aeon, checking for updates. I did some digging on the "JS/Redirector.PFB" and found some info, with different letters at the end, that seemed to suggest that the Soundspectrum website has probably been compromised.

Think I'm just about done with them now. I would really like for JRiver to consider building native support for 'built-in' Milkdrop. I think that would be very well received.

-marko.
Pages: [1]   Go Up