INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Smoothest scrolling of album art  (Read 637 times)

RH

• Recent member
Smoothest scrolling of album art
« on: March 02, 2021, 02:00:42 pm »

Hello all,

Bought an LG Utrawide display, which will be taken apart to mainly use it in a custom enclosure for JRiver in audiomode.

The only thing it has to is display is 2 large 27 x 27 cm lp style albumsleeves and some small details.

I like browsing my music in covermode in large setting which is ofcourse demanding on the hardware side. Now my question is, what is the most beneficial hardware upgrade in new pc hardware that would make “scrolling” smooth? Is it RAM, or GPU related?

Most of my albumart is large. About 1000 x 1000 px. at least.
What I see is that when you scroll images a bit fast, they get blurry. When stopped, the image gets rebuilt and kind of snaps into focus to high quality that looks great.

I read on the forum that scrolling is related to thumbnail quality...

Is there a way to improve this?

Thank you,
Ronnie

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Smoothest scrolling of album art
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2021, 02:03:55 pm »

In Options for View, try building missing thumbnails.

RH

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2021, 02:26:08 pm »

Thanks Jim.

I already tried this. Rebuilding them. My suspision is the huge size of the artwork and the lowspec. hardware, but I might be totally wrong..

MikeO3

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2021, 08:17:33 pm »

If you're on Windows start Task Manager to see what's slow... CPU, Disk, Memory and if swap file is full exceeding your system memory.

On Linux, use top and see if the load average is above 1.0 for extended periods of time. Same as above for detailed specs to identify your bottleneck piece of hardware.

rolf_eigenheer

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2021, 01:01:37 am »

What I see is that when you scroll images a bit fast, they get blurry. When stopped, the image gets rebuilt and kind of snaps into focus to high quality that looks great.
I read on the forum that scrolling is related to thumbnail quality...
Is there a way to improve this?

MC holds thumbnails in three different sizes in thumbnail files. The largest thumbnails are stored inside 'Thumbnails (large).jmd)' and take 20kB per album cover. This is what you see during scrolling.
After displaying this thumbnail MC reads the original album cover. If this is stored on a slower drive, it might take some time. The JMD is by default stored on the local drive which usually is a fast SSD.

To speed up access to the album covers, could store them on the local drive too. Options\File Location\Cover Art.

I built a cabinet for MediaCenter too. I recycled an old 'Yoga 2 Pro' and built a control panel similar to previous audio devices.

RH

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2021, 12:12:04 pm »

Mike03, thanks for the suggestions.

Rolf, all files are located on a local ssd now, much better.
When I scroll slow, which is most of the time, then it’s fine because it stays high resolution.
Only when you scroll or search an album it takes obviously a little time before it turns to high res., and this “effect” I would like to reduce most. Very noticable with large art.

Btw, nice cabinet.  ;) I am building a sort of a “record display”
Pages: [1]   Go Up