INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Carnac Fix? 1080 and 720 in the Filename  (Read 818 times)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Carnac Fix? 1080 and 720 in the Filename
« on: March 02, 2021, 04:34:08 pm »

This is a longstanding thing, but I figured I'd finally get off my butt and mention it.

At some point Carnac was "enhanced" to recognize Season and Episode numbers written without delimiters like 0214 for Season 2, Episode 14. That's all fine and good except that I now quite often get hundreds of imports in some of my Libraries all tagged with Season 10, Episode 80, or Season 7, Episode 20 because some files I import are often tagged with 1080 or 720 in the filenames. It happens with 480p files as well.

In particular, this happens with files that Carnac recognizes as TV Shows, but which actually aren't TV Shows, they're just 30-60 minute long live stream recordings. I have Tag on Import rules that fix the [Media Sub Type] but Carnac happily tags [Season] and [Episode] no matter what I do.

Could those specific values be excluded? The ones I see are 480, 720, and 1080, though it would probably the 4k variants too.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Carnac Fix? 1080 and 720 in the Filename
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2021, 07:35:45 pm »

Is it 720p, 1080p, etc.?  I'm wondering if it could just ignore any number that ends with p or i?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2021, 07:42:33 pm »

Often they do have the "p" after them (I don't have any "i" content because I'm not an animal), but yeah. Sometimes they omit the suffix in the filenames though. I'd have to check my lecture capture systems to see if they append the suffix...

I'm just thinking that episode 80 of season 10 or 4 has got to be pretty rare. Episode 20 of season 7 probably slightly more common, but... I'd rather fix one of those (especially considering any respectable filename tagging system would do that as s07e20, or at least 0720 and not just 720) than a few hundred randomly strewn incorrect [Episode] numbers throughout my tags.

IMHO it'd be safe to just exclude those exact-text matches (maybe avoiding 0720 if you want). But, at the very least, if they are followed by a p or an i, they should be ignored.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2021, 11:38:50 pm »

This is also a problem for videos sourced from phones and cameras...

IMG_3204.mov is tagged on import with Season 32, Episode 04.

This happens despite the auto import rule that gives these files a Media Sub Type of Home Video.

-marko

wer

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2021, 11:55:02 pm »

I've been bitten by this a couple of times too...

Delimiters vary. I use 08x11, some use s08e11, and there are other schemes I'm sure.  So MC should be flexible as to what the delimiters are.

But I think parsing regular non-delimited numbers as season-episode causes more problems than it solves.  I don't really like IMG_0811 getting parsed the way it does now. But it's not a big deal to me, as I don't have a lot of volume intersecting this issue, so I just fix it when it happens.

Plex requires delimiters, so I don't think it's out of line for MC to expect them.  Just my 2 cents.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2021, 12:45:20 am »

This is also a problem for videos sourced from phones and cameras...

IMG_3204.mov is tagged on import with Season 32, Episode 04.

Yes. I've gotten this too, and had forgotten.

This happens despite the auto import rule that gives these files a Media Sub Type of Home Video.

Right, but which makes sense when you think about it. Carnac goes "first" in order. Tag on Import happens after Carnac. So, by the time the [Media Sub Type] gets set manually by Tag on Import, the erroneous Season and Episode numbers are already there.

And to a great degree, Tag on Import must come afterwards. Otherwise, it would break much of the utility of Tag on Import rules. If the order was reversed, you couldn't craft Tag on Import rules to "overwrite" any data parsed by Carnac at all. You'd make your "manual" (and perhaps finely crafted changes to "correct flaws" in Carnac) in Tag on Import, but then Carnac would undo them. You also couldn't make a limited rule that only applied to TV Show imports and not Movies, for example (which I do with almost all of my rules).

Plex requires delimiters, so I don't think it's out of line for MC to expect them.  Just my 2 cents.

I tend to agree. But if you're going to keep it, I'd much prefer that it at least ignore the ones I listed above, and also things following IMG_ and other similar common "camera filenames".

In the latter case it can be simpler. In this instance it should only apply the Season/Episode parsing only on videos it determines are TV Shows. It already fairly reliably auto-determines [Media Sub Type] Home Video for camera imports. But it is still adding Season/Episode numbers when they're not TV Show episodes and the logic it is using to do so is pretty darn "fuzzy" (looking for basically any 4-digit numeric string).

But, skipping home video files alone wouldn't really solve my issue. In many of my cases, they aren't actually TV Show episodes, and I do fix the [Media Sub Type] via tag-on-import. But that doesn't help anyway (and can't, as discussed above). But, more importantly, it happens even on things that are actually TV Show episodes, but which have the 1080 or 720 strings in the filenames. Every so often I'll import a TV Show episode that just has the Series and Episode Title in the filename (plus random useless junk). If that random useless junk happens to include the resolution, then... They end up in season 10, episode 80 (and thank goodness that's not usually a valid episode number or Auto-Metadata Lookup would super-bork them.)

I think you can match [Year] based on a 4-digit string for [Media Sub Type] Movie, as you do now I believe. That works pretty reliably now as it is for me most of the time (though it should also ignore 720 and 1080 because, you know, there weren't movies then). But the Season/Episode triggering should be limited to TV Shows episodes and, IMHO, require some kind of delimiters. If it is going to keep doing it without delimiters, then it needs to be toned down a bit.

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2021, 01:56:23 am »

I agree with not handling simple numbers as a Season/Episode number.

As a workaround, you can perhaps set the Series, Season and Episode tags to blank on AutoImport settings, assuming your folders don't have mixed content.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2021, 08:53:29 am »

As a workaround, you can perhaps set the Series, Season and Episode tags to blank on AutoImport settings

Thanks. Yeah, I do that in some cases. Except...

But, more importantly, it happens even on things that are actually TV Show episodes, but which have the 1080 or 720 strings in the filenames. Every so often I'll import a TV Show episode that just has the Series and Episode Title in the filename (plus random useless junk). If that random useless junk happens to include the resolution, then... They end up in season 10, episode 80 (and thank goodness that's not usually a valid episode number or Auto-Metadata Lookup would super-bork them.)

And, more generally, I do have mixed import directories in many cases. I want it to detect Season and Episode numbers if they're actually TV Show episodes and rationally named. Just not to grab any 4-digit numeric string.

Also, getting Tag on Import to "blank" data is tough. It doesn't want to do that and you have to fiddle with it and be tricky.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2021, 01:27:27 pm »

Next build:
Changed: The season and episode parser for Carnac will not flag 720 or 1080.
Changed: Carnac will not use the number in a video named like "IMG_####" for season and episode.

Thanks for the help.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

lepa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2021, 02:24:18 pm »

Next build:
Changed: The season and episode parser for Carnac will not flag 720 or 1080.
Changed: Carnac will not use the number in a video named like "IMG_####" for season and episode.

Thanks for the help.
If you are ignoring exact strings then please add 2160 also. Thanks

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2021, 02:43:50 pm »

If you are ignoring exact strings then please add 2160 also. Thanks

+1

Yes please. Movies that have 2160p.UHD in the filenames are parse by Carnac as TV Show with Season: 21, Episode: 60, Name: pUHD

Music_Man

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2021, 03:02:24 pm »

Recently, I asked a related question about Carnac that hasn't yet been addressed:  https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,128820.0.html

Wanting to be certain that my manual tagging was fixed/lock-down and would never change, I was thinking I could copy my manually tagged information to fields that are never touched by Carnac for absolute data redundancy and my peace of mind.

• What would the fields be that Carnac never inputs to?
  • Or to put it another way: what fields does Carnac input to for: A) Video Files and B) Audio Files? 
    This 2nd. question assumes that there are many more fields left alone, than are inputted-to by Carnac and hence, this question should require less input and be simpler to answer.

Good to know that the next build will remedy the subject.  This was one of the issues that I found to be head scratching. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up