INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Custom View / Expression to group by / Expression to Display  (Read 689 times)

whoareyou

• Galactic Citizen
Custom View / Expression to group by / Expression to Display
« on: March 03, 2021, 09:48:55 am »

I created a view with expression category that also has an expression to display. 
In the tree, the displayed text properly shows the dummy value of "Recent Album Text".
When clicking files, and lower pane is displayed, the descriptive text shows the raw data, instead of the dummy "recent album text" that is displayed in the tree view.  Is there another setting I don't see to specify what text should be displayed here, or is it expected that the "expression to display" should be shown in this UI?

Windows 11 Pro
Intel i7-12700K / 32MBRam /
ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 4070
4K Sony x900h

whoareyou

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Custom View / Expression to group by / Expression to Display
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2021, 08:31:08 am »

Bump

Not most important issue, but I would like to understand if I am doing something incorrectly, or there is some option I do not see that changes the displayed text

I found it difficult to describe this, so if more info is needed please ask.

Thanks

Windows 11 Pro
4K Sony x900h

zybex

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2021, 09:07:51 am »

Yeah, apparently the title of the lower pane is currently taken from the group value, not the display value.

Try leaving the "Expression to Display" empty, and set the "Expression to Group by" to this:
Code: [Select]
formatdate(convertdate([date acquired]), MMM yyyy)

wer

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2021, 01:57:05 pm »

I can't tell if you're trying to accomplish something with your view but are having trouble, or if you have just mocked up some stuff to illustrate a question about the header text in the lower pane. 

You're doing things with intent (inserting the ConvertDate function for example) but apparently without an understanding of what they do.

Let me suggest you read these two articles:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=68960.0
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Date_and_Time_Functions#ConvertDate

In terms of what you're doing wrong, you're misusing the ConvertDate() function.

If [Date Acquired] is already a field of type Date, don't run ConvertDate against it, unless you need input to another function as Zybex is demonstrating.  The reason why should be clear when you read the article.

As far as where you circled text that is displaying a number, the fact it is a number is your doing (see article).  MC calculates that text based on what you are doing in the upper pane. More generally, it is not user-configurable.

whoareyou

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2021, 03:03:38 pm »

It's partly mocked up in attempt to clarify my question. 

Date Acquired is a string field being converted to jriver time.  I am sorting on this value.

As far as where you circled text that is displaying a number, the fact it is a number is your doing (see article).  MC calculates that text based on what you are doing in the upper pane. More generally, it is not user-configurable.

It's not that I didn't know where that number was from.  I thought the displayed value for the selected grouping would be based on "Expression to Display" for the view's configuration.  I thought it would display the same text as the grouping in the tree control.

Anyway, just trying to understand how this one piece of configuration is working.

I had actually read through that post by Marko, and I'll take another look.

Thanks

Windows 11 Pro
4K Sony x900h

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2021, 03:57:17 pm »

I think it's a bug - it should show the Display expression value, not the Group By value.

whoareyou

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2021, 04:40:18 pm »

Who can make that decision?

It's not pressing issue, but if it's a bug it would be nice to get it on dev's list of stuff to be fixed eventually :)
Windows 11 Pro
4K Sony x900h

wer

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2021, 06:32:25 pm »

It's been that way for a long time, and I doubt they consider it a bug. One of the devs could chime in perhaps.

But the reality is that "Expression to display" is kind of a second-class citizen.  It works in a Panes view, but it doesn't fully work in a Categories view because it is superseded by "Thumbnail text".

I've seen it asked about customizing that circled text before, and the answer was always no.  So I wouldn't get my hopes up, but maybe one of the devs will take an interest.

whoareyou

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2021, 11:40:24 am »

I saw (and used) thumbnail text in one of my views I was mocking up. 
Sounds like if people asked for this before, it probably won't be changed. 
Not big deal, but would be nice to have.

Thanks for the additional info.

Windows 11 Pro
4K Sony x900h
Pages: [1]   Go Up