INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sorting and other problems  (Read 2499 times)

rocketsauce

• Citizen of the Universe
Sorting and other problems
« on: April 04, 2003, 02:24:15 pm »

Is anyone else having similar problems?

• Adding and removing columns only adds or removes them in the View Scheme node that was visible when the columns were added or removed, rather than making the changes in all View Schemes nodes/Playlists. Is this a bug or a feature?

• Playlist Groups seem to be stuck on sorting by Artist.

• Still having problems getting sorting preferences to stick. It appears that if you choose an artist or album that only has one track, the sorting preference is cleared for that View Scheme.

• Shell Integration is enabled whether or not it is selected in the General options dialog.

Rob

Media Center Registered 9.0.144 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows 98 SE
Intel Pentium III 730 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 261 MB, Free - 101 MB
Resource Info: System - 55 %, GDI - 69 %, User - 55 %

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.81 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1106
Shell32.dll: 4.72.3812.600
wnaspi32.dll: 4.71 (0002) , ASPI for Win32 (95/NT) DLL, Copyright © 1989-2002 Adaptec, Inc. / Aspi32.sys: N/A

Ripping /   Drive E:   Copy mode:ModeSecure   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Drive F:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: No /  Copy volume: 32767
 Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive E: PLEXTOR  CD-R   PX-W1210A   Addr: 0:0:0  Speed:8  MaxSpeed:12  Use MJ Engine:Yes
 Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
 Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

MachineHead

Re: Sorting and other problems
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2003, 03:12:30 pm »

Still having problems getting sorting preferences to stick.

I'm having a problem with this as well. It really seems to show up after ripping and converting with MC. The first time I select Media Library it will be jumbled. Same with default view scheme Album/Artist.

You'd think that the new additions would fall into proper sorting order, but they do not.

rocketsauce

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2003, 05:23:32 pm »

bump

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2003, 08:04:40 am »

Sorting and columns are "sticky".  Changes stick for the item your at and their children.

The shell extension thing is a bug we'll fix.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

rocketsauce

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2003, 10:59:07 am »

Matt, thanks for the reply.

The problem that I'm having with sticky sorting is that when I view an artist or album that only has one track, it causes the sorting to "unstick" for that View Scheme.

For example, if I choose the Artist/Album View Scheme, I click on the Name column to sort all tracks by the song title. Now if I click on the artist 3 Doors Down which only has one track, Kryptonite, and then click on Artist/Album again, the sorting is no longer "stuck" on Name. Instead, all the tracks are grouped by artist, but the artists appear to be listed in some kind of random order.

The problem I'm having with columns is that if I add or delete a column in the View Scheme Group "Audio", the column is not added or deleted from all the View Schemes (like Album/Artist, Artist/Album, Genre/Album, etc) in that group.  I have to go through every View Scheme in the Audio group and add or delete the desired columns. Is this the intended behaviour to accomodate those who wanted to display different columns for audio, image and video view schemes?

Rob

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2003, 11:32:07 am »

The problem that I'm having with sticky sorting is that when I view an artist or album that only has one track, it causes the sorting to "unstick" for that View Scheme.

You're a smart dude.  I've been trying to no avail to figure out what caused the sorting to get trashed once in a while.  Anyway, thanks and look for a quick fix.

The problem I'm having with columns is that if I add or delete a column in the View Scheme Group "Audio", the column is not added or deleted from all the View Schemes (like Album/Artist, Artist/Album, Genre/Album, etc) in that group.  I have to go through every View Scheme in the Audio group and add or delete the desired columns. Is this the intended behaviour to accomodate those who wanted to display different columns for audio, image and video view schemes?

I think this change in tonight's build should do the trick:

10. Changed: After changing a view, if there are saved child views, MC will prompt whether you want to overwrite the child views with your changes.

Thanks!

rocketsauce

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2003, 12:37:45 pm »

As always, thanks for the fixes!   :D

Rob

rocketsauce

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2003, 04:14:36 pm »

One more question on sorting.

There used to be an option in the Tree & View Settings for "sort by track number for albums". Is there any chance that this feature might make a return? It was very handy.

Thanks.

Rob

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2003, 04:22:41 pm »

There used to be an option in the Tree & View Settings for "sort by track number for albums". Is there any chance that this feature might make a return? It was very handy.

It's a little more complicated than a guy might think because of how sorting gets saved and visually represented with the arrows now.

I mean, if track number is auto-inserted, then you click something else, does it ditch the track number or keep it?  And when it saves / loads / displays, it needs to know whether you're really sorting by track number or it's an auto-sort track number and do different stuff for each.  Anyway, it gets gross.

Could you just use track # in your default sorting before name, so it will always sort albums by track #?

Thanks!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2003, 04:27:20 pm »

Just bring an album up and sort it by track.  Then right click on the title bar and select "make all views like current".

MachineHead

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2003, 04:39:31 pm »

Could you just use track # in your default sorting before name, so it will always sort albums by track #?

Just out of curiousity, does setting the sort parameters in a view scheme overrule the sticky? I'm referring to the modifiers available in the wizard. Or is it kind of used in conjunction with the sticky?

rocketsauce

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2003, 05:54:39 pm »

It's a little more complicated than a guy might think...

No problem. :)

Not sure I understand what you mean here, or how to do it.

Just bring an album up and sort it by track.  Then right click on the title bar and select "make all views like current".

If I do this won't that make all views always sorted by track number? Which would make it kinda hard to find a song by the title without changing the sorting back to by "Name".

Rob

MachineHead

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2003, 06:13:08 pm »

Not sure I understand what you mean here, or how to do it.

With the sticky try it in reverse order. It's the only way I could get this to work.

Example: Artist - Year -  Album - Track #- Name

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2003, 06:22:07 pm »

With the sticky try it in reverse order. It's the only way I could get this to work.

Example: Artist - Year -  Album - Track #- Name

Hold down SHIFT while you click to go in forward order.

ZRocker

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2003, 06:29:40 pm »

To add to Matt's instructions:

1. Click Artist
2. Shift+Click Year
3. Shift+Click Album
4. Shift+Click Track #
5. Shift+Click Name

Viola!!

[You guys must have missed the memo...LOL]

rocketsauce

« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2003, 07:09:51 pm »

1. Click Artist
2. Shift+Click Year
3. Shift+Click Album
4. Shift+Click Track #
5. Shift+Click Name

Thanks for the tip...I tried that, but that's not really what I had in mind. With 5000 tracks sorted that way, it's impossible to find a track by title.

Basically, I want all my audio view schemes sorted by "Name" except when I click on an album in the tree view, then it would sort by track number. This is how it used to be able to sort (before sticky views), but I guess it can't be done that way anymore.

Rob

ZRocker

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2003, 07:26:49 pm »

Thanks for the tip...I tried that, but that's not really what I had in mind. With 5000 tracks sorted that way, it's impossible to find a track by title.

Basically, I want all my audio view schemes sorted by "Name" except when I click on an album in the tree view, then it would sort by track number. This is how it used to be able to sort (before sticky views), but I guess it can't be done that way anymore.

Rob

Well...maybe...if set the default for all view schemes to sort by Artist, Album, Track #, and Name then say 'Yes' to reset all children (or just make it the new Default setting).  Then go back to each view scheme (highest level) and set the sort order to Name and say 'No' to reset all children...you'd get there.  Or, just set your 'by Album' tree level to sort by Artist, Album, Track #, and Name.

I think it is possible...but, I admit...I've not really followed this thread and 'studied' all the problems...just trying to quickly through out suggestions.

Update:
I just tried it and I see that doesn't work...I have no clue then...specific sorting under a view scheme doesn't stick and/or if you change a child's sorting it changes its parent's sorting (sounds like a bug)....oh well...sorry.

xen-uno

• Checking your hard disk for errors...
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2003, 07:47:47 pm »

Related...the ability to have your list sorted in a specific way and then enter some user criteria (say to find a specific track) appears to be gone now. If not very careful...it always blows the criteria away (regardless if it's a sticky view or it's alter ego or a smartlist). I've mentioned this alot in other posts lately. I cannot seem to make ANY list/view behave the same way that MJ does (when using the user settable default sort in the options). In MJ I set the default sort order as follows: Artist-Album-FileType-Track#-Name for the Media Library list. Once again, can't find any MC list that isn't broken or that doesn't bother me with a "Do you want to save..." after I type something in the search box. I guess I need to experiment more.

10-27

xen-uno

• Checking your hard disk for errors...
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2003, 06:03:45 am »

> I cannot seem to make ANY list/view behave the same way that MJ does (when using the user settable default sort in the options)

Correction! Media Library (B145) w/ a multi-column sort behaves like MJ8 now :). Tanks! Plus as a non-skinner before, I've rapidly got used to the PixOS skin...;).

10-27
Pages: [1]   Go Up