INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Customize View: Getting cover-art for conductor - Using Expression - help needed  (Read 627 times)

henning65

• Junior Woodchuck

Good afternoon

I guess I need some basic help. I would like to understand the options and power of building an Expression (Customize View / View as: Categories / Show Categories in the Order: Expression...
I would like to understand how to set up an expression, which gets images from a defined file path with the following variable:
img:"---filepath---/[conductor]"
I thought (!), I could somehow pull the conductor-image from a folder on my computer in relation to the value of the library field [conductor]. But my computer-skills are limited...

My goal (classical music)
I would like MC  to list the conductors illustrated by their portrait image - and not the the regular cover-art. (I generated a customized View with composers (showing composer - pictures), Compositions (based on [grouping]), Orchestra and Soloist (all are showing the album cover art (for now)).

If you have a different solution to show this images - please let me know.

Thanks for your help.

zybex

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Customize View: Using Expression - help needed
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2021, 02:39:43 am »

I don't think this is possible on MC. While you can easily create a view grouped by Conductor, there's no way I'm aware of to set the thumbnail of the group to an image related to that Conductor. MC supports per-file and per-album art only, AFAIK.

wer

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2021, 04:14:37 am »

MC supports per-file and per-album art only, AFAIK.

Almost.

For Audio, MC supports art for the Album, Artist, and also Composer.

Art is also supported for Series and Season.

But Conductor is not supported.

You could kludge your way into the desired results by copying your Conductor data into one of the supported fields, and constructing your view accordingly. Since Series and Season are not normally used for Audio, they should be vacant.

By the way, I'd suggest the title of this thread be changed to something like "Help with Conductor art" so others can find it with a search. The current subject is off the mark.

henning65

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2021, 02:39:19 pm »

@wer
@zybex

thanks for your advice.
I'm taking from your reply that creating an expression to get to a conductor picture want work - bad.

But you inspired me to think of something else:
As there are several other [fields] in the JRiver MC library for track & performing artists like [composer], [conductor], [orchestra], [soloist] I

• decided to use your approach (@wer) to use the MC build in thumbnail ability
  • I changed (in a test album) the value for [artist] to the "conductor only"
  • As the [artist] has only one value - in the conductor view (which ist category show [artist]) only the conductor of the album is shown (and no longer other values for other artists
  • For orchestra i did the following: a) value [orchestra] to [season] and b) "show category [season]"
  • For soloist I did the following: a) value [soloist] to [series] and b) "show categories [series]"

conductor worked out just fine
failed for: orchestra (via [season] and a cover-art folder "Seasons" and soloist (via [series] and the cover-art folder "Series")
For now, I'm not sure why the thumbnail don't show. Any suggestions? Can you reproduce the procedure?

Any further advice would be very Wellcome.

Yours

henning65

• Junior Woodchuck

I believe I need further information on how JRiver Media Center is configured related to cover art.

I do try to use for an audio file (classical music) specific cover art folders. I followed the procedure in the wiki: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Cover_Art

I do want to show specific artist, a feature which is not supported by JRiver. To "work-around" I defined "unused" metadata-fields which - I tried:
  • [Season] and created a cover art folder cover art / Season
  • [Series] and created a cover art folder cover art / Series
  • [Video Standard] and created a cover art folder cover art / Video and a cover art folder .../ Videos

I created a customized view based on [Season], [Series], [Video Standard]. I was successful to separate the distinguished files (with a value in the fields - but I failed to show the pictures of the artists in the view.

I have the following questions:

Is it - in theory - possible to use non-audio fields for files of media type "audio" and to "force" JRiver to look for related cover-art in the specific cover-art folders?

If it is possible -
Which fields have to be used in the "Show Categories in this order" to trigger the process

Thanks for your help.
Pages: [1]   Go Up