INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Haven't been able to use JRiver  (Read 389 times)

doctorjazz

• Recent member
Haven't been able to use JRiver
« on: March 07, 2021, 06:41:20 pm »

Hi. I've posted this before, but I had trouble logging in (was able to do it from an old email, which connected me with the username and password that logging in myself was rejecting. The posts I did on this don't show up in my "replies to my post" section).
I use JRiver 27 out from my PC to an external DAC. For the longest time I just get errors (something like "the output may not be supported" I've tried changing settings, reducing the buffering time, even 2 different DAC's (Geek Out 1k SE, and CEntrance HiFi M8 v2), same outcome. I get fine sound when I listen to YouTube or streaming radio.
I'm on Windows 10, have some music on the internal hard drive, some on an external, both give the same result.
I've been a customer for quite a while; I don't remember which version I started with, but have upgraded regularly for years now.
I'm ready to give up, find some other way to access my music. I'd prefer to continue with JRiver, but so far it doesn't seem like that is going to happen. (I may just get some small computer, attach it to my stereo, and find other ways to do this).
Help would be appreciated, but I'm not optimistic at this point.

wer

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Haven't been able to use JRiver
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2021, 07:18:11 pm »

I can see you're frustrated.  Unfortunately, computer audio has a lot of different components and getting it to work optimally can be complicated.  If you're not willing to endure complications (some people just want things to be simple and easy) then abandoning PC based audio and getting some off-the-shelf digital music player that you can plug your hard drive into might be the right solution for you. This problem can be solved if you're willing to put in the effort.

You're getting that error message because you're trying to send audio to the DAC in a format it doesn't support.

Have you looked at the troubleshooting guide?
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Audio_Troubleshooting_Guide

Without a screenshot of the error (just saying you get "an error" or loose paraphrasing isn't too helpful), along with details (format, sample rate, bitdepth, # of channels) of the file you're trying to play when you get the error, screenshots of your MC audio settings, and specs of the DACs you are using, people here (we're users just like you) would just have to spend a lot of time guessing trying to help you.

So I'll just suggest a possible simple solution: Go to Options->Audio->Advanced and set "Auto configure output settings on playback error" to YES. 
Or in Options->Audio->Audio Device, select DirectSound.  DirectSound is what your Youtube, etc is using.

Either of those will probably get you sound.

Better solutions will require better information from you. :)

You can also read this article to better familiarize yourself with Audio Setup in MC.
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Audio_Setup

I hope this helps...

Pages: [1]   Go Up