INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Changing Video sound streams from stereo to 5.1  (Read 478 times)

mvandyke

• World Citizen
Changing Video sound streams from stereo to 5.1
« on: March 14, 2021, 11:50:30 am »

I have many music video's concerts that I've ripped into individual chapters so that I can rate each individual video song.  This has worked out very well for me as I can play all music video's rated 3+ or better etc.

The one problem that I have is if I'm playing upstairs in my home, I have a stereo setup and I've gone through all of the files and updated the video file's audio stream to stereo (right click and select the appropriate stereo audio stream).  This data is stored in the compression field within JRiver.

If I want to play the same song downstairs which has a 5.1 surround sound system, I can't find an easy way to switch the stream to 5.1 without going into each file and changing the stream from stereo to 5.1.  Changing the audio DSP and output does not change, Zone changes don't work either.

Is there an easy way to make this change more streamlined?

Thanks in advance.

Matt

tij

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Changing Video sound streams from stereo to 5.1
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2021, 12:32:23 pm »

So your videos have 2 audio streams inside, one 2.0 and one 5.1? And you want to play different streams inside different zones?

Not sure thats possible ... but you can play 5.1 as default ... and set up DSP to pjay 5.1 in one zone ... and convert 5.1 to 2.0 for another zone
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

mvandyke

• World Citizen
Re: Changing Video sound streams from stereo to 5.1
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2021, 11:18:15 am »

I would not be playing them at the same time in reference to zones (although they could come from the same library).

I believe that the video file's audio stream definition take precedent over the DSP & Output format under Tools Options Audio. Is that correct?

I don't think the conversion would work well as I would prefer when available, the video file audio Stereo PCM format over the (DSP & output format) 5.1 - 2.0 conversion as the PCM format sounds much better in stereo.

It would be great if JRiver had a definition for the format of the Video files audio stream (stereo or 5.1 or 7.1) and you could pick it globally?  I think that might be a challenge as some of the video streams have foreign languages defined.

Am I missing anything that might resolve this challenge?

Thanks Again!

Matt
Pages: [1]   Go Up