INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: VST3 Plug-in causing pops when changing tracks  (Read 592 times)

garysummers

• Junior Woodchuck
VST3 Plug-in causing pops when changing tracks
« on: March 23, 2021, 06:10:53 pm »

Running Media Center 27 on Windows 10 Pro 64. Utilizing Penteo 16 Pro VST3 plug-in to do the up-mixing duties.
When switching tracks that are a different bit depth and/or sample rate I am getting a pop/click/thump sound.
If I disable the VST3 plug-in all is happy no matter what file I switch to and from. This problem also happens with the older Penteo 5.1 VST3 plug-in.
I would suspect my EVGA/Nu Audio soundcard but with Penteo defeated it switches perfectly.
I have an inquiry to Perfect Surround awaiting their response.
I have messed with the crossfade settings endlessly and it does not seem to change this issue.
Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

UPDATE: It only seems to happen when I switch Bit Depth/Sample rate within the same Playlist or switch to a different playlist of a differing Bit Rate/Sample Rate.
Other than this glitch JRiver works perfect!!

UPDATE2: Appears to be more related to a sample rate change than Bit Rate. Changing from 16/44.1 to 16/48k causes a pop.

All the Best,

Gary

kr4

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: VST3 Plug-in causing pops when changing tracks
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2021, 07:30:11 pm »

I had a similar observation when using DiracLive3 as a VST3 plug-in.  Using it as the output device ("StandAlone") was OK.
Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

garysummers

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2021, 10:09:57 pm »

I had a similar observation when using DiracLive3 as a VST3 plug-in.  Using it as the output device ("StandAlone") was OK.

New to JRiver. What exactly do you mean to use it as the output (Stand Alone).

kr4

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2021, 09:12:07 am »

As an alternative to installing it as a VST plug-in, one can install DL3 as a virtual audio device.  To use it, one selects DL3 as the output device for JRiver and, in the DL3 utility, one selects the physical device (e.g., DAC) as its output.
Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

garysummers

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2021, 09:59:40 am »

As an alternative to installing it as a VST plug-in, one can install DL3 as a virtual audio device.  To use it, one selects DL3 as the output device for JRiver and, in the DL3 utility, one selects the physical device (e.g., DAC) as its output.
Thank for the reply Kal.
Perfect Surround can be downloaded as an AAX or VST3 plug-in.
After more troubleshooting I think the problem may be a ground loop issue in the system.
I was having an issue with CPU based activity noises coming through the audio path.
MiniDSP suggested changing the two CDSPs jumpers from ISO to GND. The noise was gone but this plug-in popping started.
I am going to try some Jensen ISO-Max CI-2RR on the outputs of the sound card and see if that alleviates this issue.

Note: The pop only happens on manual track changes. I built a playlist with varying Bit Depth and Sample Rates and let it play though allowing JRiver to make the track changes. No pops at all.

garysummers

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2021, 10:34:31 pm »

Installed the Jensen ISO-Max Transformers. System is dead quiet and a turn off thump has gone away.
The plug-in pop issue still remains.
How is a manual track change different than allowing JRiver to change to the next track?
If I have two adjacent tracks in a playlist and they are different sample rates, a manual track change results in a pop and a auto track change does not.
If I turn the plug in off it never pops no matter whet I switch between.
Messed with all the track change settings, nothing made a difference.
Any suggestions? Need to make this work!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up