INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 5.1 processing internally on Mac  (Read 1073 times)

Tetsujin

5.1 processing internally on Mac
« on: April 01, 2021, 11:32:35 am »

Complete newbie here, only discovered JRiver today & haven't yet even installed the demo. I am, however a sound engineer of 40 years' experience… but in 'music' not 'cinema' & so my 5.1 knowledge is quite limited by comparison.

One thing I need to clarify is how 5.1 is handled internally.
I've long been of the impression that 'pre-encoded' 5.1 from video files cannot be handled as such within the Mac.
I would dearly like to implement my own audio compression in an equivalent of JRiver's 'night mode' - in effect compressing the explosions & keeping the dialog channel bright & clear. To do this, I'd love to be able to use AU or VST, specifically Waves 360 series of processors, which I have for both formats. So far, I've never been able to get these to insert on any output, as they all appear to read as 'stereo' not multichannel 5.1.

I posted a question on this to Stack Exchange quite some time ago - https://sound.stackexchange.com/questions/45949/mac-pro-3-1-true-5-1-control-over-outputs - but discovered from Rogue Amoeba's support that this didn't seem to be possible. I'm currently using their SoundSource intercepting VLC but just with a stereo linear-phase multiband comp, which does the job but confuses the staging.

Can JRiver's player intercept the audio as 5.1 in some way, so I could attempt to insert a dedicated 5.1 plugin into my output chain?

stipus

• Recent member
Re: 5.1 processing internally on Mac
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2021, 01:27:11 pm »

I had no problem to use 5.1 VST and VST3 plugins with JRiver 27 on a Mac.

Some VST plugins do not handle 5.1. It depends on each plugin. You have to check the vendor web site or plugin spec to know about it.
I never tried the Wave 360 plugin, but from their web site it should handle multichannel.
Pages: [1]   Go Up