INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Right channel Delayed while using Convolver with config file  (Read 335 times)

ifixtheinternet

Right channel Delayed while using Convolver with config file
« on: April 02, 2021, 03:12:38 pm »

I recently began experimenting with the convolution filter capability with JRiver.
After reading through some tutorials, using REW and Rephase, was able to create a set of 8 WAV files for the convolver, one each for left/right and for 44100, 48k, 96k and 192k.

I then created 4 config files, one for each sample rate.
At first this worked well and made a positive impact, aside from the bass going missing vs when i was using just the Parametric EQ.
(another issue I'll need to figure out).

But of coarse, I did something silly and now I have a problem.
While I was playing back a music file, I unchecked "Automatically switch filter based on input format" in the Convolution settings.
Immediately, a long delay was introduced to the right speaker. (Or maybe the left speaker is no longer going through the Convolver?)

Now I seem to be stuck with a ~500ms delay to the right speaker if I enable the Convolver with any config file.
As far as I can tell, nothing changed with any of the config files or the Wav files they are pointed to.
Even after reproducing the WAV files again and creating the config files again and replacing them, and trying different ones, I'm still getting this long delay to the right speaker.

If I point the convolver to a wav file, the delay is gone.
The Wav file I tested with only was for the left channel, though.

So it seems like I messed up something internally with MC and I can't figure out how to undo it.
I've tried restarting, disabling / enabling that option a couple times but I can't figure out the issue.

I have not yet tried uninstalling / reinstalling JRiver because I'd prefer not to redo all the settings I've dialed in, but I will if needed.

The only other thing in DSP studio that's active is Ouput Format, to output the source number of channels, with no encoding.

I did do a search but I didnt see another instance of this problem.

Thank You.

ifixtheinternet

Re: Right channel Delayed while using Convolver with config file
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2021, 02:57:09 am »

I figured out the problem.

I used different taps / FFT length for some of the Wav files I exported from Rephase. I didn't realize these resulted in longer file lengths, and it looks like MC chose first to use one set of files that didn't have a diffference in length between left / right.
Once I recreated the files while taking care to keep the length consistent, the delay is no longer there.

Silly me.

Now to figure out this bass issue . . .
Pages: [1]   Go Up