INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Playing a Large Collection of SACD's  (Read 677 times)

Dennis in FL

• Galactic Citizen
Playing a Large Collection of SACD's
« on: April 06, 2021, 06:35:03 am »

I had a fairly large collection of SACDs, internet Hi Res purchases, and CDs.   I was getting nervous when Sony discontinued SACDs and then Oppo stopped making players and it became obvious the ability to play and grow my collection was becoming obsolete

I bought a Sony HAP S1 in response - and was able to get all my music on an external HDD and I really liked the HAP and the beautiful user interface of the Sony mobile App but the weakness of the HAP was the incredably slow file edits and transfers since you rely on the Sony CPU rather than your PC.   And the hap didn't play ISOs so I had to convert my ripped SACD files.

Then I started looking for a backup to the Sony.   Plex didn't play some Hi Res and was out.   Another person in a similar situation pointed me to JRiver and I tried it.   I was at first overwhelmed with some of the complexities and still am.   But I gave it a shot. 

I later strayed from the JRiver ranch as I had frequent audio dropouts with using my Mac as the MC server and it didn't seem fixable.   

As a result of the dropouts, I had bought a Raspberry Pi 4 with the intention of letting it be the server-controlled via VNC Viewer.   But it has taken be a while, I took a deep dive into SwiftUI and XCode programming and forgot about the Raspi for a long time.  Also, I haven't had a dropout recently with the Mac....not sure what's up but I'm happy.   

In a week or two, I will have a side by side comparison of a Sony HAP S1, A Raspi 4 with MC 27 and a USB DAC, and my iMac with MC 27 with DLNA to the Marantz--- all as 2 channel input to my Marantz AVR.  Plus, I have Amazon Music streaming with the Hi Res option.   Three different DACs - Sony, Raspi, and Marantz (DLNA and Amazon)

May the best player win.

Dawgincontrol

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • We have met the enemy and he is us.
Re: Playing a Large Collection of SACD's
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2021, 08:50:27 am »

My understanding is the Sony Hap doesn't play gapless.  Is this correct?

Dennis in FL

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2021, 09:00:52 am »

The HAP won't play ISO (SACDs) and the ISO files need to be converted to DSF or DSD.   Pretty much plays everything else I throw at it.

Dawgincontrol

• MC Beta Team
  • We have met the enemy and he is us.
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2021, 09:43:54 am »

If you play a live concert on it, does it transition from track to track without a short break between songs or is it a smooth transition?

Dennis in FL

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2021, 03:46:34 am »

If you play a live concert on it, does it transition from track to track without a short break between songs or is it a smooth transition?

I have never run across that anomoly. 

Dennis in FL

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2021, 03:59:10 am »

I am confused....I originally was answering a question posed by Jim......"why did you choose JRiver?"  and it was pulled from that topic and put here. 

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2021, 07:16:54 am »

I am confused....I originally was answering a question posed by Jim......"why did you choose JRiver?"  and it was pulled from that topic and put here. 
This is where I thought it belonged.
Pages: [1]   Go Up