INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Low quality image cover when playing to DLNA player  (Read 3406 times)

th0ut

• Recent member
Low quality image cover when playing to DLNA player
« on: April 06, 2021, 07:31:39 am »

If I play from JRiver Media Center to my Denon AVR, and look at image cover on TV or in the phone, the quality of the image is low.

But if I  use JRiver Media Center as DLNA server. Use my phone to select song from this server. Then quality of the image cover is fine, high quality.

In DLNA options, Audio mode = Original, no conversion.

Here is an example how it looks

low-quality-cover" border="0

Is there an option in program to fix that? If not, can you please fix this in upcoming updates. Or maybe add an option for cover quality.

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Low quality image cover when playing to DLNA player
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2021, 08:21:59 am »

But if I  use JRiver Media Center as DLNA server. Use my phone to select song from this server. Then quality of the image cover is fine, high quality.
How exactly are you doing this option? With a phone remote or other?

th0ut

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2021, 08:32:22 am »

How exactly are you doing this option? With a phone remote or other?

Yes, with program on the phone. Its HEOS app from Denon. I can start playing to my AVR from JR, and then open this HEOS app on the phone and see whats playing, and I can see the cover there. In this app I can open DLNA server that JR is serving and start playing from there.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2021, 09:04:29 am »

Yes, with program on the phone. Its HEOS app from Denon. I can start playing to my AVR from JR, and then open this HEOS app on the phone and see whats playing, and I can see the cover there. In this app I can open DLNA server that JR is serving and start playing from there.
Is your cover art stored in the tags, album folder or both?

th0ut

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2021, 09:23:24 am »

Yes, cover art stored in the tags of the files, flac files.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2021, 09:34:24 am »

In your DLNA server settings on MC, advanced, present small artwork should NOT be checked unless that's all your device can handle. Also, DLNAExtra should be checked.
MC will provide several sizes to the renderer, and it's up to the renderer itself which size it chooses.
Many renderers will not choose the larger artwork because they allocate fixed buffers for it.
When you query the renderer for what it's playing you will get the artwork size IT picked.

th0ut

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2021, 09:55:05 am »

In your DLNA server settings on MC, advanced, present small artwork should NOT be checked unless that's all your device can handle. Also, DLNAExtra should be checked.
MC will provide several sizes to the renderer, it up to the renderer itself which it chooses.
Many renderers will not choose the larger artwork because they allocate fixed buffers for it.
When you query the renderer for what it's playing you will get the artwork size IT picked.

Do you mean this one? But its for video, not?

Capture" border="0

So there is nothing to do\fix here? Or maybe you can add an option in program for artwork size?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2021, 10:08:52 am »

Do you mean this one? But its for video, not?

Capture" border="0

So there is nothing to do\fix here? Or maybe you can add an option in program for artwork size?
That Advanced is for everything, not just video.
I don't see that you can change the behavior, it's the renderers choice of artwork that's the issue.
You might try putting a folder.jpg in the album folder, MC's server will present that as an option to the renderer as well but there is nothing that says the renderer has to use it.

th0ut

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2021, 11:17:55 am »

Same low quality cover with just folder.jpg in the album folder, and files without image inside.

Its definitely not AVR issue. I tested with two different apps on the phone, to send files to AVR, and two programs on PC, and cover image displayed on TV and in HEOS app in high quality.

Please, fix it in JR.

D1os

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2022, 09:08:14 am »

Hi everyone! Was there ever a fix for the low quality album cover issue? I am currently using Jriver28 as a server to an auralic Aries g2.1 everything seems fine except the album cover’s quality is very bad. My album arts are for the most part 1440*1440 and up embedded into flac files. Is there a setting in jriver itself that I can change to remedy this situation? 

VinBob

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2023, 05:50:10 pm »

Hi All,

I am experiencing the same issues on the latest Mac build where the album cover art is of a much lower resolution and not clear where using a tool such as Twonky Server or MinimServer show the artwork just fine.

Was there ever a solution to this, as I really want this to work so I can go ahead and register a copy for my needs.

Cheers,
Vin.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2023, 05:55:04 pm »

Hi All,

I am experiencing the same issues on the latest Mac build where the album cover art is of a much lower resolution and not clear where using a tool such as Twonky Server or MinimServer show the artwork just fine.

Was there ever a solution to this, as I really want this to work so I can go ahead and register a copy for my needs.

Cheers,
Vin.
Cover art showing in low res WHERE exactly?
There is more than one way a cover art image can be shown and more than one place.

Are you pushing a file to a renderer from MC and seeing it in low res ON THE RENDERER?
Are you pulling a file from a renderer supplied by MC and seeing in in low res ON THE RENDERER?
OR??

VinBob

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2023, 05:33:25 pm »

Sorry for the late reply and appreciate the support.

The picture is showing in low resolution on my Lightening DS app that I am using on my iPhone to play audio to my Auralic DAC. However, if I use Twonky or MinimServer, the artwork displays perfectly fine. So someting being changed I would think from JRiver MC Server running on my Mac Mini ??

krmasson

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2023, 04:10:05 am »

I have been experiencing the same for years : when driving my DLNA player from the associated proprietary app (Naim) on my Android tablet, cover pictures are displayed with a very poor quality. However they look fine when displayed by JRiver Panel.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2023, 09:19:37 am »

MC offers at least 4 different resolution images for cover art.
It's up to the control point to choose the one it wants to display.

I assume your other DLNA server software probably doesn't offer low res images.
The low res images are important because some rendering devices which can display cover art only can handle the low res images.
Pages: [1]   Go Up