INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: REW to plot frequency response through JRiver to see the DSP Studio/PEQ effects  (Read 855 times)

dac2020

• Recent member

I have been using the DSP Studio's PEQ and would like to see the effects by plotting frequency response graphs using REW.    Has anyone provided some simple procedure for doing that with REW/Umik-1 mic so that I can compare the results for without PEQ vs with PEQ?    Or is it not even possible to do?    I assume it would be possible because I remember doing it when I was using the Dirac Live trial version with J River.   After that expired, I could no longer use REW with J River.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Verifying_DSP_Studio

This explains how to measure jriver directly, it should be straightforward to translate this to your own setup for use with a mic but if not, you need to post your exact setup in the output side in order to know how to do it

dac2020

• Recent member

Thank you very much, currently I am using a Umik-1 USB Mic, windows 10 laptop and the 3.5mm to RCA from the laptop headphone output to the preamp analog inputs to run REW.   For music listening I use an external USB DAC's analog output to the preamp analog input. 

I'll try and see if I can follow the instruction.

By the way, I forgot to also ask whether using the DSP Studio's PEQ filters would result in the signal being down converted to 44.1, 48 or 96 kHz regardless of the original sampling frequency?

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team

By the way, I forgot to also ask whether using the DSP Studio's PEQ filters would result in the signal being down converted to 44.1, 48 or 96 kHz regardless of the original sampling frequency?
this is controlled by the settings in output format as opposed to anything PEQ related

dac2020

• Recent member

Hello, I am trying to set up JRiver for use with REW, tried to follow instructions in the link: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Verifying_DSP_Studio, all seems to go well until I reach the part I am supposed to to press the tab "IPC", but it does not show up on my audio screen, next to Zone to Configure is "Play", there is no other selection.    I Google and tried different things suggested such as setting different output devices other than JRiver Media Center but no matter what I tried, IPC is no where to be found/selected.

What did I do wrong, how can I make it appear?

Thank you

Update:   I do see IPC now but not shown the way it is described but shown in the play list screen.
But when I tried to do a sweep in REW I got no sound?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

IPC would be visible when you use WDM.  Please see the wiki.

dac2020

• Recent member

IPC would be visible when you use WDM.  Please see the wiki.

I just updated my post, it is shown/visible when I play something from play list, just not on the audio tab as wiki instruction describe.    When I tried to measure with REW, I got no sound though.

Would I have to do something about the "plug-ins"?    I remember doing something like that way back when I was trying the Dirac trial version.

Update: I think I understand now why I wasn't getting sound when I did the REW sweep.   It is probably because following the instructions in the link Matt posted (https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Verifying_DSP_Studio), the input to JRiver would be from the Hificable output and the REW output would be JRiver Media Center so REW would simply plot the frequency response of JRiver output.    That is in fact what I want to do, but because the REW output is not my external DAC so there would be no sound.

To have sound and record it with the Umik-1 mic, I would have to change the REW output to my external DAC and the input to the Mic but then I wouldn't be able to see the effects of the JRiver PEQ.    So I guess there is no way I can use REW to sweep and get the actual frequency response of my speakers with the effects of JRiver's PEQ?

Any help will be much appreciated.    In any case, even just able to see the PEQ's theretical effects by itself, that is without seeing the actual FR through the speakers is still useful as it allows me know if I am setting the "Q" correctly and can see if there are any unexpected effects.    So thanks to Mattkhan and JimH regardless.
Pages: [1]   Go Up