INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cover Art for a Double-Album Release  (Read 919 times)

rsg

• Galactic Citizen
Cover Art for a Double-Album Release
« on: April 20, 2021, 08:15:27 pm »

A first-world problem no doubt, but here it is. Sometimes two albums are released together in a package, and I prefer to catalog them in accordance with their original release (sounds right, right?) So, I divide the file into the two distinct albums. When ripping such a double-album release (in this case, Savoy Brown's 2006 release of Street Corner Talking [1971] and Hellbound Train [1972]), I go to 'Get from Internet' for the album cover. Problem is...each time I get the cover for one of the two albums, MC changes BOTH. So, am I stuck with both albums displaying the Street Corner Talking cover or the Hellbound Train cover! How to separate? BTW, these are smokin' albums!!

MikeO

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Cover Art for a Double-Album Release
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2021, 02:19:44 am »

Goto any internet browser and Google "Album Name" artwork that should find a range of resolutions of the original artwork

Save it and apply to the album

Other sources are Wikipedia , MusicBrainz, Discogs or even Amazon.

You can normally find Originals

rsg

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2021, 01:40:56 pm »

Yes, thanks, but maybe I didn't explain the issue clearly. I ripped a "double-album", that is to say a two-album package containing two albums from different years by the same artist. I divided them up according to title/date. They now show up as separate albums with their own year etc. Problem is, if I change the album cover for just one of the albums (by highlighting), it also changes the album art for the other album, as if they are somehow still connected. Can't seem to give each album its own, and rightful, album cover.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2021, 02:12:08 pm »

Albums are defined by [Album] and [Album Artist]. If those fields are the same, MC considers them an album.

You can set album art for each individual track by simply selecting the tracks and adding album art.  Depending on the view that you use to display your individual "albums", the view may pick up the album art from the first track in the display. Otherwise, name them as separate [Album]s rather than as just one combined album.

rsg

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2021, 03:11:43 pm »

Well, actually [Album] is different and, as expected, [Artist] is the same. But when I change the album art for one album (by highlighting the tracks and "Get from Internet") both the album covers are changed.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2021, 04:13:09 pm »

Try selecting the tracks for the album and then for the album art, copy it (say from Amazon) and then paste to those tracks, rather than using Get from Internet.  And make sure they are stored in the file for each track.

rsg

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2021, 04:44:23 pm »

Try selecting the tracks for the album and then for the album art, copy it (say from Amazon) and then paste to those tracks, rather than using Get from Internet.  And make sure they are stored in the file for each track.

Tried that, with the same result...cover art for both albums changed even though I only selected one of the two albums.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2021, 05:05:14 pm »

Did you try just selecting the individual tracks, not the album in album view?  You should be able to have a different cover art for each track.  Look at the tags and see what you get for the image field.

Do you have them as 1 album with 2 discs, or are there truly separate?

rsg

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2021, 07:29:47 pm »

Did you try just selecting the individual tracks, not the album in album view?  You should be able to have a different cover art for each track.  Look at the tags and see what you get for the image field.

Do you have them as 1 album with 2 discs, or are there truly separate?

Tried individual tracks...doesn't help. I have separated the original album into two distinct albums, not "CD 1" and "CD 2".

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2021, 08:05:55 pm »

So, when you look at the tags for each track, each track has the correct image stored in the file but when you play each track, another image shows up?

I would try rebuilding the thumbnails for all those tracks. You can also Remove Cover Art for those tracks in the Cover Art option and paste them in again. If that does not work, I would delete the 2 CDs and re-import them separately.

rsg

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2021, 11:25:21 am »

So, when you look at the tags for each track, each track has the correct image stored in the file but when you play each track, another image shows up?

I would try rebuilding the thumbnails for all those tracks. You can also Remove Cover Art for those tracks in the Cover Art option and paste them in again. If that does not work, I would delete the 2 CDs and re-import them separately.

All the tracks for both albums have the same cover art; when I change just one track or a whole album, it changes the cover art for the whole other album. My only option is to have two separate albums, different date, and same artist, with the same cover art.

I tried your suggestion: Remove Cover Art. And added the right image from file...still changes both albums. And rebuilt thumbnails too. Haven't tried ripping each CD separately b/c I don't actually have the physical CD anymore.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2021, 12:55:22 pm »

Somewhat baffling. Maybe try this. Sorry, it seems somewhat pedantic, but what you are reporting should not be happening. I would start by verifying what image is stored in each track.  There is no reason for a new image to be copied to all tracks if you only update 1 track.

In MC, open one of the albums as a view and select the first track. Open the tag editor and and make sure Image shows the correct cover art and that it says Inside File within the image. Step through the tracks and make sure each image in the tag editor says Inside File. Open the directory with another tagging program like Mp3tag and stepping through each track, look at the cover art. Assuming they are all correct, close mp3tag. Then, copy a completely different cover art to the clipboard using your browser and, e.g., Amazon. Then, in MC, select a specific track in your album.   Then, do Cover Art - Paste for that one track only. It should change the image in the tag editor but Inside File should disappear and it should have the address on disk that cover art is stored in. The image in the track part of the main view will not change, since that only shows the image for the first file in the album. Then for the selected track, do Library Tools - Update Tags (from library). That should update MC to use the image from the file and tell you now many files it updated. It should only update 1 file. If it updates all files in the album, then that is very unusual. To check, I would then open mp3tag again and look at the directory again, stepping through each track and looking at the cover art. Only the one you selected should have the new cover art. If they all do, then something is really strange.  You can also use mp3tag on the other album before and after changing the image for the one track to see if the images in the files are being changed.

Sorry I do not have a clear answer.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2021, 05:12:43 pm »

Are you saving the cover art in a file alongside the track files? That applies the same cover art to all the tracks.  And, if both albums are in the same directory, it might be changing the cover art for all the files.

My assumption has been that you are storing cover are in the library and in the file tracks. If it is a folder.jpg file in the media file directory, it might explain what you are seeing.

rsg

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2021, 05:59:11 pm »

Are you saving the cover art in a file alongside the track files? That applies the same cover art to all the tracks.  And, if both albums are in the same directory, it might be changing the cover art for all the files.

My assumption has been that you are storing cover are in the library and in the file tracks. If it is a folder.jpg file in the media file directory, it might explain what you are seeing.

Yes, the images are in a .jpg folder. Incidentally, the file name for both albums is the same because it is (originally) one single CD containing the two albums, one released in 1971 and one in 1972. I just wanted to sub-divide the CD into its two original distinct albums, which of course I have done, but not with the right album covers.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2021, 06:31:42 pm »

Yes, the images are in a .jpg folder. Incidentally, the file name for both albums is the same because it is (originally) one single CD containing the two albums, one released in 1971 and one in 1972. I just wanted to sub-divide the CD into its two original distinct albums, which of course I have done, but not with the right album covers.

That explains your problem. The one image is applied to all the tracks in the folder. You can move the tracks for one of the albums to a separate folder and apply the appropriate cover art to that album and then the .jpg image will only be applied to the tracks in that folder.  That should fully separate the two albums.

rsg

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2021, 07:43:05 pm »

Yes, you got it...Thanks!

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2021, 08:11:14 pm »

Sorry it took so long. I do not use the folder option for cover art, so it took a while to make sense of your problem.

Enjoy!
Pages: [1]   Go Up