INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to set up QNAP NAS and Yamaha receiver for music?  (Read 5324 times)

Dr_Hoon

• Junior Woodchuck
How to set up QNAP NAS and Yamaha receiver for music?
« on: April 22, 2021, 10:55:47 pm »

I've purchased a QNAP NAS with the intention of using it exclusively to play CD quality music on my Yamaha RX-A3080 receiver. Ideally this would be done over wifi but I can connect via ethernet if it's the only way to ensure the audio makes it to the receiver untranscoded (the files are FLAC and the router is only a few metres from the receiver). It would also be nice to have some sort of android app that allows me to search my music with album cover art, create on-the-go playlists etc. I'm uninterested in using my PC for anything other than ripping my CDs to FLAC and uploading them to the NAS (which I can do without issue). However, I've spent days searching the web and cannot seem to find a step-by-step guide for what I need to do to get everything working.

Scobie

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Looking Busy
Re: How to set up QNAP NAS and Yamaha receiver for music?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2021, 12:14:51 am »

Use the QNAP Container Station and spin up the Docker version of MC27 for Linux, there's plenty in the Linux forum here to get you started.

Or you can install MC on the PC and use it as a controller for the media files stored on the NAS.

Have a read of the Media Network setup in MC: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Media_Network

Once MC is running on your QNAP or PC, enable Media Network and it should see the Yamaha as a Media renderer (the doco sys it is DLNA 1.5 certified https://www.audiotrends.com.au/yamaha-rx-a3080.html).

You can then set up your library on the NAS and control it with on of the available Android MC remotes.

Dr_Hoon

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2021, 12:30:08 am »

Thanks Scobie, this is a great help. At least I now know some terminology and specific questions to ask the www.

Scobie

• MC Beta Team
  • Looking Busy
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2021, 12:47:40 am »

No worries, have a read of the Media Topic on the wiki and the MC Container thread in the Linux forum and revert in here. We'll sort you out.

Cheers

Dr_Hoon

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2021, 02:49:54 am »

I feel as though I'm in way over my head here. Everything I read in the forum launches into the topic significantly past the point where I'm currently at - spinning up the Docker version of MC seems to be assumed/required knowledge that I don't have. The QNAP Container Station documentation isn't much help to me either (not to mention it's from 2015).

I have Container Station installed on my NAS and have downloaded MediaCenter-27.0.84-arm64.deb which I'm reasonably confident is the correct version for my system. However, this is as far as I've progressed. I can't figure out how to install the file and whether I first need to create a Debian container. Apologies if these questions are too far on the rudimentary side of things.

Dr_Hoon

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2021, 03:23:45 am »

OK, so I eventually found jrivermc27 in the Container Station hub and installed it. But I can't get it to start - the console shows the following error:

standard_init_linux.go:219: exec user process caused: exec format error

I searched the web for the error and although there were limited results, they were all suggesting it's because the container is built for different architecture than what I'm running. Looking at the version available on the hub from shiomax/jrivermc27, it appears to be for AMD rather than ARM. Is there a way to install the container I downloaded, rather than having to use one from the QNAP Docker Hub?

Scobie

• MC Beta Team
  • Looking Busy
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2021, 07:38:10 pm »

OK, I use that same image on my QNAP and it works fine, what is the model of your NAS?

And yes I can appreciate if you've never dealt with this stuff before it can be a bit daunting. If it's not something you want to get into - although once you get your head around it it does make sense - remember you always have the option of installing MC on your PC and having it read the file system on your NAS. I know you said you didn't really want to do have the PC as part of the system but you will still be able to use the Android remote.

Dr_Hoon

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2021, 09:32:02 am »

My NAS is a QNAP TS-230 and it's arm64. I don't see an arm64 option on the Docker Hub though. I've downloaded the arm64 file and read it's possible to install a .deb file with Debian but I can't get a working cursor in the virtual console running in the LXC Debian container. Is there a reason why shiomax only releases the amd64 versions? I've actually done a reasonable amount of tinkering in the past (this is just a whole new learning curve with a bunch of concepts I've never encountered before), and I really want to persevere with JRiver as I want to listen to my FLAC files untranscoded. I'd go with MinimServer before adding my PC or MacBook to the equation.

Scobie

• MC Beta Team
  • Looking Busy
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2021, 12:55:21 am »

I'd suggest adding your ARM query to the MC Docker thread here:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,126822.0.html

Wheaten

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2021, 04:22:33 am »

Dr_Hoon

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2021, 03:02:39 am »

That's great, thanks. I installed the docker container and got it up and running. The interface is difficult to read due to a graphical issue where the lines offset and garble the text, but I can read 'most' of it. It looks like it's going to work, with some configuring.

I'm trying to get it working with Gizmo before I purchase any licenses. I've found the access key, but when I enter it in Gizmo, it says there is a problem connecting to the server. The dialogue box where I obtained the key said this would be the case, but the instructions on how to solve the problem are vague, to say the least. Currently, I've imported my MinimServer library, but can't create a new one as I think the instructions were suggesting (I can't get to a file path outside what I think may be the container's root directory).

HaWi

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2021, 09:14:18 am »

The container set up should map a shared folder for you to point your library path to
rPi5/8GB, Debian 12 Bookworm on SSD | JRMark (32.0.45 64 bit): 2788
MacBookPro (2013), 2.6 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, MacOS 11.7.17 | JRMark (32.0.44 64 bit): 3706
Mac Studio M2 Max, 64GB, 1TB SSD, macOS Sonoma 14.5 | JRMark (32.0.44 64 bit): 9135
Docker Container (shiomax) DS1819+ | JRMark (32.0.45 64 bit): 1260
JRemote 3.43
MO 4Media 1.5.7 | Marantz SR7007 (RSL 5.1) HDMI to MacBookPro

Dr_Hoon

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2021, 11:20:42 am »

Can you please elaborate. I see a shared folder buried about 6 levels inside the container directory - do I have to move all my music into this folder, or can I point it to the (far more convenient) folder that currently contains all my music?

Update: I've tried adding a local library and pointing it to a directory in the shared folder, but Gizmo still says it can't connect to the server. So, I think my problem goes beyond locating a folder for a library,

HaWi

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2021, 02:27:47 pm »

I cannot speak to the container you are using, however, the shiomax container allows me (in the set-up script or via docker-compose) to create a symbolic link to my media folder within the container. I just point MC to that folder and it finds the media which physically reside on a server. Here are the three lines in the set-up script that create folders, one of which (the second) contains the sym-link
Code: [Select]
-v /volume1/docker/MC27/config:/config:rw \
-v /volume1/music:/data/music:rw \
-v /volume1/docker/MC27/data/Library:/data/Library:rw \
That's as much as I can explain it with my limited knowledge EDIT: formatting
rPi5/8GB, Debian 12 Bookworm on SSD | JRMark (32.0.45 64 bit): 2788
MacBookPro (2013), 2.6 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, MacOS 11.7.17 | JRMark (32.0.44 64 bit): 3706
Mac Studio M2 Max, 64GB, 1TB SSD, macOS Sonoma 14.5 | JRMark (32.0.44 64 bit): 9135
Docker Container (shiomax) DS1819+ | JRMark (32.0.45 64 bit): 1260
JRemote 3.43
MO 4Media 1.5.7 | Marantz SR7007 (RSL 5.1) HDMI to MacBookPro

Dr_Hoon

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2021, 09:59:59 pm »

Thanks for your help. I ended up finding this handy guide to set up the container to access folders outside the container folder:

https://blog.linuxserver.io/2017/09/17/how-to-setup-containers-on-qnap/

It worked fine and I successfully set up a library - I have Media Center running on my NAS and I can access it via a browser. However, the Gizmo app on my Android device cannot connect to the server - it gives the following error:

There was a problem connecting to the server. Please double-check that you have entered the correct key, and that the server and your connection are working.

The key is correct, because if I enter an incorrect key, the authentication doesn't make it to the 'attempting connection' phase. It's trying to connect to http://10.0.3.2:52199/ whereas Media Center is accessible on my home network at a different address. Any ideas where I might be going wrong?

UPDATE: I found info on the web that said to enter the address where Media Center resides instead of the key. That seemed to work. Now, I can play music from my NAS to my phone via Gizmo, but I can't access or stream to my Yamaha receiver.

Dr_Hoon

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2021, 11:45:28 pm »

I purchased and installed JRemote2 on my phone, hoping it would let me choose my AV receiver as the renderer, but it doesn't. Media Center will only play from the NAS to my phone or chromecast to my TV. MinimServer allows me to choose my AV receiver as the DLNA renderer and works perfectly. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

UPDATE: I ran Media Renderer Analyser by Whitebear and it reported no media renderers were found. I also ran the analyser while MinimServer was playing music to my receiver via DLNA, controlled by BubbleUPnP on my phone. After a bit more searching, it seems my router's firewall may be an issue, so made an inbound firewall rule for port 52199 - the Media Renderer Analyser discovered my AC receiver, but I still couldn't get it to show up in JRemote as a renderer. Now Media Render Analyser can't find anything again and I don't know if the port thing was coincidence...

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2021, 06:57:04 am »

Port 1900 needs to be open for SSDP.

Make sure you're on the same network with all devices.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2021, 06:59:04 am »

Bingo SSDP is our Android app for finding renderers.  It's on the Play Store.

Dr_Hoon

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2021, 07:13:59 am »

I've been playing around with opening ports 52100 to 52200 and 1900. I can't figure out if it's having any effect on when Media Renderer Analyser decides to detect my receiver. Either way, I can't figure out how to get Media Center to locate the renderer, even when I disable the firewall on my router.

I'm on the same network with all devices. MinimServer and BubbleUPnP worked straight out of the box - I'm not saying this to suggest they're superior products, just to point out I have DLNA working.

I just bought Bingo SSDP and installed it on my Android phone. It crashes every time I run it, a split second after listing a bunch of devices/servers that I don't have enough time to read but am 80% certain my receiver isn't on the list. With all due respect, what did I just pay for?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2021, 07:37:17 am »

Uninstall it to get a refund from the Play Store.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2021, 07:44:10 am »

Minimserver is a UPnP Server.  That it works only proves that a server is working.  MC could be used to import the files directly from the NAS.

If DMRA doesn't show renderers and MC doesn't, then they are not available.  Bubble may be using another protocol to play or may have permissions that DMRA and MC don't have.  Could be some network issue.

Normally, for playing on the same LAN, you don't need to change anything on the router, but we recently saw a problem that was caused by the router.

Please list a few of the internal addresses (not visible from  the Internet).   They will be something like 192.168.0.12, 192.168.0.16, and so on.  Then the gateway.  They may not all be on the same network.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2021, 07:47:54 am »

Then take a look at this thread for ideas:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,24031.300.html

There are several pages.  The last post there is a network problem.

Dr_Hoon

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2021, 08:11:21 am »

Thanks for helping look into this. I took a look at the thread, it appears Windows-centric. I've installed MC27 directly to a QNAP NAS and JRemote to a Google Pixel phone, to stream FLAC audio to my Yamaha AV receiver. I'm only using Windows 10 to access MC via a web browser (I run an alternative to Defender anyway), I could just as easily access it via my Mac or Android device.

Everything is on the same network. My NAS is 192.168.1.195, my receiver is 192.168.1.142, and my phone is 192.168.1.5. Default gateway is 192.168.1.1.

I suspect playing with opening ports on my router firewall has been complete coincidence in regards to when my receiver decides to show up in DMRA. One minute it shows up and the next (10) it doesn't, with the same router firewall settings. When it does show up, I get a report but there's no media in the left pane to run a test.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2021, 08:19:16 am »

Thanks for helping look into this. I took a look at the thread, it appears Windows-centric.
It's not Windows centric.  Most of the problems could occur on any OS. 
I've installed MC27 directly to a QNAP NAS
I can't recommend using MC on a NAS of any kind. 
and JRemote to a Google Pixel phone, to stream FLAC audio to my Yamaha AV receiver.
Should work.
I'm only using Windows 10 to access MC via a web browser (I run an alternative to Defender anyway),
That could be a problem.  Security software causes lots of problems.  What is the software?

Describe the "web browser" use.
I could just as easily access it via my Mac or Android device.

Everything is on the same network. My NAS is 192.168.1.195, my receiver is 192.168.1.142, and my phone is 192.168.1.5. Default gateway is 192.168.1.1.
All good.
I suspect playing with opening ports on my router firewall has been complete coincidence in regards to when my receiver decides to show up in DMRA. One minute it shows up and the next (10) it doesn't, with the same router firewall settings.
That's not good at all.

Dr_Hoon

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2021, 08:31:50 am »

I can't recommend using MC on a NAS of any kind.

Hmmm. I'm not interested in introducing a PC to the process of playing music through my hi-fi. I just want to operate my NAS with an Android remote app (when/if I get it working, I'll switch to a tablet dedicated to controlling my hi-fi). Do I just give up on this whole thing now, and go with what works (MinimServer obviously isn't as good though). It would be a shame to quit now, I feel like I've come so close!

That could be a problem.  Security software causes lots of problems.  What is the software?

I'm using Bitdefender and Zone Alarm. But does that even matter when my setup is between MC on a NAS, JRemote on an Android device, and my AV receiver? I can switch my PC off and my MinimServer/BubbleUPnP setup works - this is what I'm trying to replicate with JRiver/JRemote, because (a) nicer interface, (b) no transcoding. I just use the web browser to access the MC setup options that aren't accessible via JRemote.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2021, 11:00:17 am »

It would help to simplify your setup.

Start by uninstalling Bitdefender.

Then see if you can get MC to play files from the PC to any renderer.

Dr_Hoon

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2021, 05:51:26 pm »

It would help to simplify your setup.

Start by uninstalling Bitdefender.

I can simplify my setup by turning off the PC and unplugging it - I've humoured the idea and things still don't work.

I mustn't have been clear enough - this is not an exercise in trying to get MC running on a PC. I do not have MC installed on my PC. Nor do I want to install it on my PC. I'm wanting to run MC from my NAS with the same functionality as my current working setup of MinimServer installed on my NAS. I do not want to convolute the process of listening to my ripped CD library by needlessly introducing a PC to the pipeline. I have 2 PCs and 2 Macs, and frankly, enjoy spending time away from them, while they're powered down in another room.

I don't understand how Bitdefender installed on a PC that's not in the pipeline can be blocking communication between the NAS and AV receiver?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2021, 06:25:53 pm »

I'm mistaken then.  You're not using MC on anything other than the NAS?

We don't support running it on a NAS, though you may be able to make it work.

So is this your desired setup?

Minimserver runs on your NAS and you use some other DLNA software running on Android to play files from Minimserver to your Yamaha receiver?

I can sense that you're impatient about this, but you have a lot of different pieces you're talking about.

Simplifying it might tell you what works and what doesn't and make it easier on finding the problem.

If you do run MC anywhere in this setup, you must turn on Media Network (all 3 parts).

And if you've tested with DMRA, and that doesn't find renderers, then something other than our software is blocking access or your renderers aren't turned on.

I'll let you work on this a while.  Let us know what you find.

Dr_Hoon

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2021, 07:06:49 pm »

Thanks for taking the time. Yes, that is my preferred setup. The key difference between the way I'm running MinimServer and MC, is that MC is running from a docker container whereas MinimServer is an app that doesn't need to be run from QNAP's Container Station. However, that doesn't explain why the Media Renderer Analyser only detects my Yamaha receiver 5% of the time, unless the analysis is somehow performed through MC on the network? I've even run the analysis while playing music to the renderer via MinimServer/BubbleUPnP and still found nothing. I did read somewhere else in this forum though, that BubbleUPnP uses a different renderer search method than MC. The thread was suggesting the router could be the culprit - I'll investigate that some more.

Is my impatience starting to show? I've been putting in significant hours for a week and a half, but I'm prepared for longer if there's light at the end of the tunnel. It's been a learning curve for me at every step. During this process, I've discovered support doesn't extend to running MC from a NAS, and I can accept that. I'm just hoping someone on this forum might have some experience in the matter.

If you do run MC anywhere in this setup, you must turn on Media Network (all 3 parts).

Please forgive my ignorance, I don't understand this. Do you mean all 3 DLNA checkboxes (server, renderer, controller)? Those are on.

Dr_Hoon

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2021, 06:54:11 am »

I successfully got JRemote and Gizmo controlling MC installed on my Mac, rendering audio from my NAS to my Yamaha receiver. This test alerted me to something that could potentially be the culprit for not finding my Yamaha renderer when connected to the version of MC running from a container on my NAS.

My home network and everything connected to it resides at 192.168.1.x, and while I use a web browser to access the MC UI of the NAS install by visiting 192.168.1.195, the associated library server access key directs Gizmo to 10.0 [snipped by JimH], where it finds nothing. To access the NAS install of MC on both Gizmo and JRemote, I have to enter 192.168.1.195 instead of the access key. When I do this, the remote can access the library but not the Yamaha renderer. If I use the access key from MC running on my Mac, it connects to said Mac and everything works fine.

I barely understand any of this, but is it possible the way I've installed MC in a docker container is causing a discrepancy in network addresses between where MC thinks it is, where it actually is, and where the renderer is?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2021, 07:23:00 am »

You could read the wiki topics on Network Access and Access Key.  The Access Key can connect to either the inside (192.x) or outside (10.0) address. 

In the Media Network settings, you can test to see what is open.

Normally the outside access is blocked by the router's firewall, and you don't need outside access for what you're trying  to do.

Dr_Hoon

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2021, 08:00:17 am »

Thanks Jim, much appreciated. After reading the articles, the different addresses make sense to me now.

When I test connection to the server (using the container version of MC running on my NAS), I get a message saying the Library Server is not reachable from the internet, but I can still use it within my local network. That's fine, it's all I want to do.

Any idea why JRemote and Gizmo can establish a connection to MC on my Mac using the Access Key from MC on the Mac, but not to MC on my NAS using the Access Key from MC on the NAS (I have to enter 192.x to establish this connection)? All devices are on the same network.
Pages: [1]   Go Up