INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Convert format creates duplicate files  (Read 646 times)

rsg

• Galactic Citizen
Convert format creates duplicate files
« on: April 25, 2021, 02:19:54 pm »

I have asked this before, and thought I had solved it...but no, when I convert files from APE to FLAC, I end up with duplicate copies (both the APE and the FLAC). I have set my Options to 'Replace original file on disk and in library' but no luck there. OK, I can go back in and manually delete the now-redundant APE versions, but I'd rather it was taken care off automatically. Sorry for the repeat question...

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Convert format creates duplicate files
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2021, 02:52:31 pm »

Are the originals read only?

Vocalpoint

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2021, 01:59:46 pm »

I have asked this before, and thought I had solved it...but no, when I convert files from APE to FLAC, I end up with duplicate copies (both the APE and the FLAC). I have set my Options to 'Replace original file on disk and in library' but no luck there. OK, I can go back in and manually delete the now-redundant APE versions, but I'd rather it was taken care off automatically. Sorry for the repeat question...

This (I believe):

"Replace original file on disk and in library"

Only replaces a file with the exact name and file extension. So If I rip a CD containing SongA.flac to a "new" SongA.flac and reimport - it should overwrite the old "SongA.flac" but if I create a SongA.ape or a SongA.mp3 - those are two new, unique files and would show up as dupes.

VP

rsg

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2021, 06:05:36 pm »

Just a regular APE format album that converts "successfully" into FLAC, but I end up with two CD albums: a FLAC and an APE one. Trying to have MC "replace" the original APE with the new FLAC without keeping the original APE.

Vocalpoint

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2021, 10:33:10 pm »

Just a regular APE format album that converts "successfully" into FLAC, but I end up with two CD albums: a FLAC and an APE one. Trying to have MC "replace" the original APE with the new FLAC without keeping the original APE.

That will not work as I noted above - MC sees the two formats as separate (and unique) files - which they certainly are.

I do not think you could ever "replace" SongA.ape with SongA.flac and have MC forget the ape file. The FLAC file (in my experience) will always go into the library as a new entry and the ape file would need to be deleted manually.

VP

rsg

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2021, 10:40:23 pm »

That will not work as I noted above - MC sees the two formats as separate (and unique) files - which they certainly are.

I do not think you could ever "replace" SongA.ape with SongA.flac and have MC forget the ape file. The FLAC file (in my experience) will always go into the library as a new entry and the ape file would need to be deleted manually.

OK, thanks, just checking (and somewhat misled, I believe, by what 'Replace original file on disk and in library' might mean). After all, if you 'convert' dollars into rubles, you no longer have any actual dollars, just rubles, since the dollars themselves have been 'replaced' by something of approximately equal value [different name but does the same job]). But I get your point about the two formats being separate (and unique) files.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2021, 11:50:43 pm »

Well, with that option checked, I just converted an mp3 to flac (for testing purposes) saving the flac file to a different location...

Results:
New flac file is created
Old mp3 file is deleted
Library updates instantly.

Same results when choosing 'same location as original'

I'm out of time so can't test with an ape file right now.

rsg

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2021, 09:38:21 am »

Well, with that option checked, I just converted an mp3 to flac (for testing purposes) saving the flac file to a different location...

Results:
New flac file is created
Old mp3 file is deleted
Library updates instantly.

Same results when choosing 'same location as original'

I'm out of time so can't test with an ape file right now.

Interesting...now I'm wondering what effect 'Library Tools>Analyze Audio' has on this process (since part of my procedure for adding albums to MC involves this step so that I get anything missing like BPM, Dynamic Range etc.). Maybe that's how I end up with dupes: files with analyzed audio and files without.
Pages: [1]   Go Up