INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ripping Long Playing Mono CDs  (Read 545 times)

sarcanon

• Recent member
Ripping Long Playing Mono CDs
« on: April 27, 2021, 11:29:56 pm »

After ripping a collection of several thousand CDs, I've encountered my first set of "long-playing mono" CDs, where the manufacturer placed separate programs in each of the left and right channels so as to effectively double the playing time. For regular playback, you can just hard-pan your balance left or right to hear the individual channels.

But if I want to rip these CDs, how would I do this if I wanted to end up with "de-multiplexed" FLACs? Does Media Center have a setting that would support this? If not, I suppose one way might be to rip as if they were stereo CDs, and then find another software that would allow me to split the ripped files, exporting one file in FLAC format with just the left channel and another with just the right. Maybe something like Audacity? And then, of course, there is the issue is how to make sure the resulting file plays back correctly in Media Center or other audio players.

Can anyone who has dealt with these double mono CDs before offer some advice on what works best?

Many thanks in advance.

The Big Labinski

• Galactic Citizen
  • Wake up and slow down
Re: Ripping Long Playing Mono CDs
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2021, 04:47:37 am »

Dear saranon, the only way I see is to use Audacity. Import left and right channels into Audacity. Then you can combine it as a stereo sound file and export it into Flac.
TC
Stefan
Wake up and slow down 😴

dtc

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2021, 07:49:52 am »

Dear saranon, the only way I see is to use Audacity. Import left and right channels into Audacity. Then you can combine it as a stereo sound file and export it into Flac.
TC
Stefan
Other way around. He wants to separate the individual channels into individual files.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2021, 08:03:48 am »

The parametric equalizer in DSP studio lets you mute an individual channel. So you could do  conversions to a new file format with one or the other channel muted.  Then convert each file back to flac.  There is probably a more clever way to use Mute, but that is my first thought. You may be able to do the conversion from flac to flac applying the Mute DSP. You can also use Copy to replace one channel with the other, so both channels are the same. Just make sure you make a copy of the original file first, so you can do the same thing with the other channel.

The Big Labinski

• Galactic Citizen
  • Wake up and slow down
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2021, 03:10:05 am »

Wake up and slow down 😴
Pages: [1]   Go Up