INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help needed on Column presets  (Read 520 times)

Dennis in FL

• Galactic Citizen
Help needed on Column presets
« on: April 29, 2021, 06:31:27 am »

I have a column view for Classical Music in presets and I have a few sub folders in classical music (like Symphonies, Violin Concertos, etc) and then additional folders for composetrs, etc.

I change the parent folder with the preset and it works fine.....but it doesn't trickle down to the sub-folders.   Is there a way of globally changing all Audio columns or better yet....different genre presets to the parent folder?  I tried changing "Use Parent Scheme" but no dice.

haggis999

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Help needed on Column presets
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2021, 09:51:50 am »

I have a column view for Classical Music in presets and I have a few sub folders in classical music (like Symphonies, Violin Concertos, etc) and then additional folders for composetrs, etc.

I change the parent folder with the preset and it works fine.....but it doesn't trickle down to the sub-folders.   Is there a way of globally changing all Audio columns or better yet....different genre presets to the parent folder?  I tried changing "Use Parent Scheme" but no dice.

I'm not familiar with the term 'presets' in the context of a JRiver MC view. Please clarify what you mean by that.

The term 'sub-folder' is normally reserved for describing the physical location of a file on the hard drive. Defining music as a Symphony, Violin Concerto, etc, is normally done using the Genre metadata tag. The composer's name goes in the Composer tag. There are standard tags in the library for most things, though some custom tags are almost always required for classical music. For example, I find it essential to have a tags called 'Work' and 'Sub-Genre'.

My guess is that you have defined a customised view for your classical music that uses the 'View As' option called Panes. Can you please explain more precisely what you mean by "I change the parent folder with the preset and it works fine.....but it doesn't trickle down to the sub-folders". Uploading a screenshot of your view would help with this.

Dennis in FL

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2021, 06:42:28 am »

If you right click on the column title bar you can set or save presets.     The preset only changes the current view so I have to go through all of my views to change it.

I guess  if I had changed the columns before I "customized" a Library View it would have worked, but now that I have dozens of library views, it seems a lot of work unless I'm missing a shortcut

see the screenshot

haggis999

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2021, 08:53:44 am »

I've never noticed that Presets option before. I've always just made my own manual selection of columns when configuring a new view. For this reason, I cannot offer any advice on the most efficient way to use Presets.

In my own case, I don't have a need for "dozens of library views". Most of the time, I use just two audio views, one for classical music and one for non-classical. They both have a 'View As' setting of Panes. The classical view is configured to show the following categories: Sub-Genre, Keywords, Composer, Album, Work, Name, while the non-classical view shows: Sub-Genre, Keywords, Artist, Album, Name, Composer.

Within each of these views, I have easy control over what music is displayed in the bottom pane via the selections I make in the top pane.

For example, in my primary classical view, if I select a Sub-Genre of 'Opera' and 'Puccini' as the Composer, then all of Puccini's operas in my collection will be listed in the bottom pane. In my non-classical view, the selection of a Sub-Genre of 'Pop/Rock' and 'R.E.M.' as the Artist will show all of R.E.M.'s albums. 

For video, I normally just use one customised view, named as MyMovies. Its 'View As' setting is Categories and the only category shown in this case is Genre. When I open the MyMovies view in the Video section of MC's main menu on the left, it drops down a list of all the available genres. If I click on All Genres then all my movies appears as thumbnails in the right pane. If I click on Comedy in the left menu then only comedies are displayed in the right pane.
Pages: [1]   Go Up