INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver app on streaming devices  (Read 3315 times)

1maynard

• World Citizen
JRiver app on streaming devices
« on: May 09, 2021, 08:19:50 am »

I would really like to see the JRiver app made available on streaming devices like Roku, Firestick, Nvidia shield etc. Is this possible? Plex offers this and I have it installed on my Roku Ultra and it works great. It gives me a way to access all of my stored media on my server as well as many live tv and streaming services. I can switch between Amazon Prime, YouTube TV, Live over the air TV and many streaming services. I am currently using JRiver to organize my librarys and as a DVR to record OTA TV and Plex on the Roku to play my media back. I would much rather use JRiver for playback on the Roku if it was available. The wife really likes the ease of use of the Roku since she can easily switch to the streaming services we have available.
Intel I7-8700K, GTX1080 Ti Gaming, 16 GB ram, Silverstone GD08, Integra DRX R1.1  AVR, LG OLED B6 65 TV, Oppo UHD-203 DVD. Klipsch Reference 7.1 Speakers. [2] HDHomerun HDHR4-2 OTA tuners. Win 10 Pro 64 bit

tij

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: JRiver app on streaming devices
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2021, 09:44:29 am »

I believe JRiver is on Shield already

EDIT: or any device running Android TV
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

1maynard

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2021, 12:51:47 pm »

I believe JRiver is on Shield already

EDIT: or any device running Android TV

From my research it does not work very well right now on many android devices and since the Roku is not an android device it is not available for it. I would really like to see JRiver come up with something like Plex has that just seems to work on all devices without a lot of tweaking. I tried out plex pass for a couple of months and since it worked so well on all of my devices I bought a lifetime subscription. JRiver is a much better media server as far as tweaking goes but Plex is easier for the wife and others to use. Using Plex on the Roku is very simple. Start the Roku, click on the Plex app and then click on live tv, movies, streaming services etc. If I want to watch something on YouTube TV or Amazon just click home and open the app I want to watch. The nice thing about Plex is it looks and acts the same on all devices. Personally I would rather use JRivermc but since the wife likes the Plex app on the Roku I will use JRiver from now on only to organize my Media in my library and play it back using Plex and the Roku. I still plan on updating to Media Center 28 because that is the only way to see further development. I would like to hear from anyone who har JRivermc running on a Shield, how do you like it and what about ease of use? Not much information out there about using JRiver on a Shield.
Intel I7-8700K, GTX1080 Ti Gaming, 16 GB ram, Silverstone GD08, Integra DRX R1.1  AVR, LG OLED B6 65 TV, Oppo UHD-203 DVD. Klipsch Reference 7.1 Speakers. [2] HDHomerun HDHR4-2 OTA tuners. Win 10 Pro 64 bit

rec head

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2021, 06:57:15 am »

MC on the Shield works fine. It isn't the prettiest but the layout and use is logical. There is no reason not to use it.

tzr916

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2021, 03:32:09 pm »

Does MC for Android connect to MC Server as a "Client"?
Does it show Tv Guide from MC Server?
Does it play Live Tv from MC Server tuners?
Does it play Recorded Tv shows and do commercial skipping? mpeg2 and mpeg4 TS files
JRiverMC v32 •Windows 10 Pro 64bit •Defender Exclusions •ṈŘ 3rd party AV
•ASUS TUF gaming WiFi z590 •Thermaltake Toughpower GX2 600W
•i7-11700k @ 3.6GHz~5GHz •32GB PC4-25600 DDR4
•OS on Crucial P5 Plus M.2 PCIe Gen4 •Tv Recordings on SATA 6TB WD Red Pro
•4 OTA & 6 CableCard SiliconDust Tuners
•nVidia RTX2060 •XBR65Z9D •AVRX3700H •Fluance 7.2.2 [FH]
•SMP1000DSPѫeD A3-300[RSS315HE-22] •SPA300DѫYSTSW215[15-PRX8S4]

BradATIMA

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2021, 06:33:43 pm »

Does MC for Android connect to MC Server as a "Client"?

Yes. You can load a library server with JRiver for Android

Does it show Tv Guide from MC Server?
Does it play Live Tv from MC Server tuners?
Does it play Recorded Tv shows and do commercial skipping? mpeg2 and mpeg4 TS files

No. It does not have any of the Media Center television features at this time. It would be nice to implement at some point, but there are no plans so far.

cgott42

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2022, 08:17:38 am »

If you use the JRiver app for an android TV - will it use the same MadVR renderer - i.e. will the stream have the same PQ on the TV app as it would if watching via JRiver on the PC?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2022, 08:37:00 am »

Yes

rec head

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2022, 11:25:34 am »

I thought madVR was PC only.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2022, 11:51:15 am »

Yes, madVR is Windows only. JRVR should work if Vulkan is available (I think it's in Android >= 10).

blgentry

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2022, 01:07:14 pm »

It's important to realize that big apps like HBO, Netflix, Plex, and many others have a huge development team.  Well, what they really have is MANY development teams.  One for each platform.  Android TV, Apple TV, Roku, and each smart tv platform all get their own dedicated apps.  It has to be a crazy effort to try to make them all look and behave similarly.

JRiver is a small company that supports 3 major platforms, plus 2 remote platforms, plus the new Android app.  That's already quite a few environments for a team of less than 10 people. 

Brian.

cgott42

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2022, 05:56:14 pm »

Yes

In particular - I'm looking to improve fast moving scenes (sports) that I record (1080i/720p) to upscale to 4k60 and improve the motion blurriness better than what my 4k TV does. (seems that 4k material - even sports) look great and very clear on the 4k TV - but 1080i/720  sports do not - even with motion enhancement turned on or off
So I was wondering if I record the events, and then play it back to my TV via the JRiver app if that would fix the problem?  Does it need MadVR?
Note - my PC Video Card is just a GeForce GT 710

rec head

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2022, 06:30:19 am »

Are you asking about playing the content from MC installed on the TV or using a remote (Panel, JRemote, MO4Media, etc.) to control playback on your HTPC?

cgott42

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2022, 07:41:39 am »

Are you asking about playing the content from MC installed on the TV or using a remote (Panel, JRemote, MO4Media, etc.) to control playback on your HTPC?

My main goal is to:
have my TV recordings stored on my PC (especially 1080i/720p sports) upscaled to 4k60 so that the image looks as good as the NFL 4k broadcasts that are 1080 upscaled to 4k re: sharpness and motion
I'd very much prefer to watch via an Android TV device - but not at sacrificing the main goal.

Basically I'm asking what software/hardware do I need to do that
(note ideally this conversion would be done on the live broadcast - but from what I understand that requires a $4,000+ Lumagen Radicance Pro or MadVR Envy - so I'm hoping JRiver can accomplish my goal (albeit not live TV for tons less $)

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2022, 08:52:26 am »

My main goal is to:
have my TV recordings stored on my PC (especially 1080i/720p sports) upscaled to 4k60 so that the image looks as good as the NFL 4k broadcasts that are 1080 upscaled to 4k re: sharpness and motion
I'd very much prefer to watch via an Android TV device - but not at sacrificing the main goal.

Basically I'm asking what software/hardware do I need to do that
(note ideally this conversion would be done on the live broadcast - but from what I understand that requires a $4,000+ Lumagen Radicance Pro or MadVR Envy - so I'm hoping JRiver can accomplish my goal (albeit not live TV for tons less $)

JRiver can upscale live TV, that's not a problem. Upscaling is generally handled in real-time by the renderer but you can also upscale beforehand with an external tool like ffmpeg, although you will just end up with much larger files for the same quality as doing it in real-time (assuming you have the requisite GPU horsepower).

I'm not familiar with JRVR on Android but assuming it works well (probably better luck on a Shield than a TV app, for instance) then you can upscale live TV from the library server or client and/or any stored files. I wouldn't bother storing upscaled video, however.

cgott42

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2022, 11:27:39 am »

JRiver can upscale live TV, that's not a problem. Upscaling is generally handled in real-time by the renderer but you can also upscale beforehand with an external tool like ffmpeg, although you will just end up with much larger files for the same quality as doing it in real-time (assuming you have the requisite GPU horsepower).

I'm not familiar with JRVR on Android but assuming it works well (probably better luck on a Shield than a TV app, for instance) then you can upscale live TV from the library server or client and/or any stored files. I wouldn't bother storing upscaled video, however.
Cool.  Does it use MadVR to upscale the live TV feed?  Will it upscale to 4k60? 
If it can rival the Lumagen's upscaling and motion handling - I'll switch back to a HTPC as I'd prefer to have the upscaling to 4k60 done on a live feed , rather than having to wait for the game to finish
I assume that I would need an HDHomeRun + CableCard - to get Cable TV
What PC hardware would I need - for smooth 4k60?
thx

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2022, 01:35:07 pm »

You can find more info in the JRVR thread: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,130657.0.html

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2022, 01:45:19 pm »

Note that JRVR is not supported on Android yet, and we don't currently have a timeline for when it will be.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

rec head

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2022, 05:01:49 pm »

I'm pretty sure you want a video card with at least 4GB to handle 4K. I don't know if the 710 does.
Pages: [1]   Go Up