INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feature Request: Display booklet (PDF) of CD  (Read 1877 times)

moobox

• Recent member
Feature Request: Display booklet (PDF) of CD
« on: May 27, 2021, 03:23:42 pm »

Hello

Now, when I buy a CD, I also scan the booklet in pdf. So I've got some booklet in PDF file format within my audio directory. During my listening, I'll appreciate if JRiver can show it in the display view.
I save the booklet in a directory call booklet. So can you scan subdirectories to get pdf file ?

Thanks for reading

David Sydney

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Feature Request: Display booklet (PDF) of CD
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2021, 03:20:35 am »

MC can already do this moobox....

If you store the pdf in the same folder as the tracks, or a subfolder called Artwork, CoverArt, or Scans (there is actually a list of supported names somewhere, "booklet" is not one of them). Media files in the CoverArt folder incl. PDF, JPG and other images files can be view by right clicking the album cover and selecting the bottom menu "View Extras".

Dave
------
Linux Manjaro 23 / Windows 10 Pro | i7 14700K Gigabyte Z790 UD AX | JRMark 10253 | Realtek Integrated HDAudio SPDIF | PC Sound - Yamaha TSS-15 5.1 DAC (will be sad when capacitors die!)| Real Sound - DLNA Network to Yamaha RX-V777 Receiver Living Room + Deck | DLNA to Paired Yamaha WiFi WX-010 MusicCast Speakers to Outside Areas

moobox

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2021, 04:21:55 am »

Thanks for your help ! I've tried and it opens the pdf file in my external browser. Not within JRiver

I expect to see in theatre view or display view the pdf that auto cycle / turn the page. I can see the cover, or in theater view pictures of the artist, but not the pdf file.
The idea is : listen the music and read the booklet. All of these in JRiver. With the edge integration, it seems to be possible.

tij

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2021, 05:34:23 am »

Can convert pdf to jpeg

EDIT: put in same folder as music file  ... name something like booklet_page01.jpg booklet_page02.jpg ...
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

David Sydney

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2021, 11:12:48 pm »

Moobox, look further at the settings for File Types, Other PDF. Maybe will influence this, otherwise save the scans as jpg pages and it will work as you want it.
Dave
------
Linux Manjaro 23 / Windows 10 Pro | i7 14700K Gigabyte Z790 UD AX | JRMark 10253 | Realtek Integrated HDAudio SPDIF | PC Sound - Yamaha TSS-15 5.1 DAC (will be sad when capacitors die!)| Real Sound - DLNA Network to Yamaha RX-V777 Receiver Living Room + Deck | DLNA to Paired Yamaha WiFi WX-010 MusicCast Speakers to Outside Areas

EnglishTiger

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2021, 03:50:03 am »

Thanks for your help ! I've tried and it opens the pdf file in my external browser. Not within JRiver

I expect to see in theatre view or display view the pdf that auto cycle / turn the page. I can see the cover, or in theater view pictures of the artist, but not the pdf file.
The idea is : listen the music and read the booklet. All of these in JRiver. With the edge integration, it seems to be possible.

The reason why the pdf is being opened in the external browser and not MC is because the Browser, regardless of it being Chrome/Chromium, I.E or Edge, probably has has an inbuilt variant of Adobe Reader whilst MC doesn't.
Win NUC - VENOEN 11Th NUC Mini PC Core i7 1165G7,Dual HDMI 2.0+Mini DP,Windows 11 Mini Desktop Computer,Thunderbolt 4.0,1 Lan, USB-C,Wifi,Bluetooth 5.0,32GB RAM Toshiba MQ04ABF100 ‎500Gb 5400 RPM ‎eSATA HD, Gigabyte GP-GSM2NE3512GNTD 1Tb NVMe SSD, Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB SATA 2.5 Inch SSD (MZ-77Q8T0) in Sabrent Ultra Slim USB 3.0 to 2.5-Inch SATA External Aluminium Hard Drive Enclosure (EC-UK30)

Apple 2020 Mac mini M1 Chip (8GB RAM, 512GB SSD)
Sabrent Thunderbolt 3 to Dual NVMe M.2 SSD Tool-Free Enclosure with Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 High Performance SSD + Crucial P3 Plus 4TB M.2 PCIe

ET Skins & TrackInfo Plugins - https://englishtiger.uk/index.html

terrym@tassie

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2021, 06:06:53 pm »

The reason why the pdf is being opened in the external browser and not MC is because the Browser, regardless of it being Chrome/Chromium, I.E or Edge, probably has has an inbuilt variant of Adobe Reader whilst MC doesn't.

Not true - see attached screenshot of a pdf booklet being displayed within JRiver, if anyone is interested I'll explain how it is done......
" I like work: it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours." -Jerome K. Jerome

iggies

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2021, 04:06:32 pm »

Not true - see attached screenshot of a pdf booklet being displayed within JRiver, if anyone is interested I'll explain how it is done......

I am very interested in how this is done.

terrym@tassie

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2021, 08:03:04 pm »

I am very interested in how this is done.

Before 'View Extras' was introduced in MC22 the way to view PDF booklets was to create a custom Link.
This post https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=73415.msg497686#msg497686 describes a way of doing this (please read this first).
If you look at the screenshot in my original post you will see a Link called Booklet (next to the Amazon Link).
I had some issues with the original Link information, it caused MC to have a very long unresponsive startup due to the use of the IsMissing() expression, I personally don't like 'anonymous' file assets like 'booklet.pdf' or 'folder.jpg' and the Link as published still started an external PDF viewer.

I'll describe the changes I made to the Link information but I would like to stress that this is only one way to address the issues and may not be applicable to everyone's situation, it does however provide a couple of advantages over 'View Extras':
  PDFs can be viewed within JRiver MC Standard View and can also be viewed on remote MC library clients.
Disadvantages:
  Tagging overhead and Library modification.

To create a new Link, right click an existing Link (such as Amazon) and select Manage links, this will display a dialog screen (see attached screenshot) click Add to create new Link. The fields can then be filled manually or you can use 'Paste Link Information From Clipboard' to use the code provided below.

To view PDF within Standard View ensure 'Action' is set to 'Open inside program'

To address the IsMissing() slow startup problem I decided to create a new Library field which I called 'Booklet' (see attached screenshot -Tools\Options\Library & Folders\Manage Library Fields\Add New Field), this is populated with the filename of the PDF booklet or left blank if no booklet exists. This field can be seen in the Tag window shown in the screenshot of my original post above. It is assumed that the PDF booklet is stored in the same folder as the album files. The 'Booklet' Link will only appear if the 'Booklet' library field is populated (the IsEmpty() expression in the Filter field).

The following Link information will display the PDF within Standard View on a LOCAL instance of MC when the 'Booklet' Link is selected:
Code: [Select]
<Link version="1.2">
<Item Name="Name">Booklet</Item>
<Item Name="Action">0</Item>
<Item Name="Base URL"/>
<Item Name="Search URL">file:////[Filename (path)][Booklet]</Item>
<Item Name="Filter">[=IsEmpty([Booklet])]=[0]</Item>
</Link>

But what if I view this Library on a client machine? The 'Booklet' Link will appear because the 'Booklet' library field is populated but it will not display anything as the path to PDF file is invalid on the client.
The solution for me was quite simple as my Audio files are all on one disk volume and I have a network share created for the top level folder (so D:\Music is shared as \\MEDIASERVER\Music).

This revised Link information will display PDFs both LOCALLY AND REMOTELY on a Client:
<Link version="1.2">
<Item Name="Name">Booklet</Item>
<Item Name="Action">0</Item>
<Item Name="Base URL"/>
<Item Name="Search URL">file:////Replace([Filename (path)],[Volume Name],MEDIASERVER)[Booklet]</Item>
<Item Name="Filter">[=IsEmpty([Booklet])]=[0]</Item>
</Link>
To use the above code substitute 'MEDIASERVER' with the name of your library server and make sure you have a network share to a top level folder on a volume e.g D:\Music is shared as \\MEDIASERVER\Music.

As I said before, this is what works for me, if you have Music files spread across multiple volumes or below the root level of a volume (such as C:\Users\Yourname\Music) then the Client Link above ain't gonna work.
A solution may be to copy all the PDFs to a separate folder, network share it and modify the Link information accordingly.

The LOCAL 'Booklet' Link will work for most setups but I appreciate populating an additional Library field may be too onerous if you already a have a huge library. I have been using this for years so it is just one extra tagging operation when I import a new album that has a PDF booklet.

I hope this satisfies your interest @iggies.

A final point, it would be good if the MC 'View Extras' could be configured to display PDFs within Standard View (AFAIK it can't at the moment).

Terry

" I like work: it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours." -Jerome K. Jerome

iggies

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2021, 09:04:24 am »

@Terry, thanks for the detailed instructions.  I was able to set this up on my system last night in about 15 minutes.  As you mentioned, this seems to be the only way to view pdfs on remote MC clients at present.

Given that both my classical pdfs and folders were named [Album].pdf and [Album] respectively, it was simply a matter of auto-populating [Booklet] with this expression in the calculated data section:

if(ismissing([filename (path)]\[Album].pdf),,[Album].pdf)
At this time, I don't know whether this auto calculation will have a negative impact on the responsiveness of MC.

The other option that I am mulling over is to (1) to remove all my classical albums from the Media Library, (2) tag them with the above expression on auto import and not use calculated data on [booklet].

Cheers

terrym@tassie

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2021, 05:18:43 pm »

The other option that I am mulling over is to (1) to remove all my classical albums from the Media Library, (2) tag them with the above expression on auto import and not use calculated data on [booklet].
You don't have to remove the files from the library, just change the Booklet field from calculated data and then select all the files and use =if(ismissing([filename (path)]\[Album].pdf),,[Album].pdf) in the Booklet field, this will populate the field with the appropriate values.

Glad you found the info useful.

Terry

robspierre

• Recent member
Re: Feature Request: MC 28
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2021, 04:43:03 pm »

MC  28 Wishlist or Fantasy Fiction if some (or all) items  either: defy the laws of physics, or are already  available but need to be unredacted and declassified!.

1. "Playable" - have option of MC evaluating media in library for corruption and provide binary evaluation with check confirmation in equivalent of present box.
2 have Android JRemote2 include "Loudness" option; revise so that simple means of selecting separate mode of a particular album fidelity, i.e. the mp3, cd quality, or hi res versions, where the options exist.
3. Ability to select which hard drives MC can "see" at any given times 
4. A 30/31 band graphic equalizer. I haven't found any elsewhere that  work on MC.
5 . Simpler/Alternate instructions for use of Theatre view. I am a reasonably aware person yet I have no idea what the benefits/functions of this are! Maye remedial/re-education camps...
6. Guidance on successful operation  of  MC with a very large library/many hard drives. It doesn't appear to like my methods to date.
7. Internet browser that lets me sign on to Google and such for syncing media such as Podcasts with phone etc. Integral recording of streamed internet sites.  7. Video primers on YouTube or such for the cognition challenge..
8. Index information for current rev level of MC twice; Once in their vast jungle of MC anthropology, and a duplicate in a discreet section for that revision. This would allow those dropping the big bucks on current software to avoid  perusing golden oldies  when trying to   address current issues.  I started buying the versions after the hand crank was eliminated! 
9. Enable current Import screen data in Action area to be enlarged to whole screen, 
10. Since I've been a happy customer since MC 22, maybe you should disregard all of my verbiage here and just continue with what you already had in mind. you have the prescription for the smart pills...

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2021, 06:37:16 pm »

4. A 30/31 band graphic equalizer. I haven't found any elsewhere that  work on MC.
We just switched to a 20 band equalizer.
Pages: [1]   Go Up