INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: changes in My Computer within MC  (Read 921 times)

Tolga

• Galactic Citizen
changes in My Computer within MC
« on: April 04, 2003, 10:59:03 am »

Are changes in My Computer that affect the library propagated in the library.

For example, if I drag and drop a folder, or rename a folder should the file entries in the library/playlists change to reflect the changes?

In other words, can I move files and file directories, without needing to do a find and replace, which is pretty low level for a possibly common operation. There is also a move command I guess but it does not move everything in the directory if I remember correctly. (if not changed).

I would be nice if drag and drop in My Computer within MC, envokes and automatic find and replace. (including playlists)

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Farm Animal Stupid
Re: changes in My Computer within MC
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2003, 12:38:39 pm »

Yes, you can do all of that.

Tolga

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2003, 10:11:01 am »

Thanks Doof,

I figured the out problem.

Although all files are on my computer, the library accesses them using network address:
i.e.

\\computer\music

Because I can copy the library to another computer on the network and other family members can listen over the network.

If i change physical locations within MC,
i.e. in
c:\music
MC is not clever enough (understandable) to propagate the changes to the corresponding network address.

The problem would be solved if network locations could be accessed within MC. Is there any way to do that?

xen-uno

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Checking your hard disk for errors...
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2003, 10:30:04 am »

If you mapped your music directories with drive letters (ie s:\music) rather than pointing to them with UNC's (ie \\computer\music) then MC should function correctly per your first post.

10-27

edit: I re-read of your first post. What I would do is map c:\music as s:\. Now re-import all the music from s:\. Now your library should work on any machine on the net (but you must map \\<yourcompname>\music as s:\ on these other machines as well)

edit2: ...or attach (as a network drive) s: on the media host to s: on the "clients". Either way should work.
Pages: [1]   Go Up