INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Silence between 11:04-11:29 and then for 1s at around 13:00 (MC 27.0.85, Win 10)  (Read 654 times)

AK1

• Recent member

Hello hello!

This is my first post here, so that I'm not familiar with the rules/standards.

I have a weird situation with JRiver Media Center 27.0.85 (last update) on Windows 10: the sound abruptly stops at around 11:04 until around 11:29, and then for about second around 13:00 into the file.  No problem with shorter files.

Windows Media Player plays the same files without a hitch.

Any idea what this might be and how to fix it?

Thank you and best regards,
Amir

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?

What are you playing?  What are you playing to?

AK1

• Recent member

Hello, JimH!

Thank you for your response!

I've tried to play downloaded files, from Presto, of Schiff's new Brahms recording: https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8906015--johannes-brahms-piano-concertos

I've also tried files from Chailly's Brahms album: https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8042086--brahms-the-symphonies

All FLAC 24/96.

I'm playing from an Intel NUC into a Trinnov Altitude 16 room correction preamp via the local network.

https://www.trinnov.com/en/products/altitude16/

Thanks!!!

JimH

• Administrator

See if you can sort out where the problem is by substitution.

Try lower bitrate FLAC files.  Play them from a local drive.

Try playing to a different output.  Try a direct connection to the output device.

The gaps suggest either that something is not able to keep up.   It's not likely to be the CPU, but it could be network.

Please confirm that you have downloaded the files and are playing those files.

AK1

• Recent member

Hello, JimH!

Thank you for your response!

I've been playing only local files.  I was playing TO the Altitude 16 via the local network.

- 16/44.1 local files work fine with the ALT16

- 24/96 local files with the ALT16 have the described problem, even when starting a few seconds before the 11:04 mark, so that it's probably not an issue of accumulating data until breaking after 11+ minutes.

- 24/192 local files stopped working with the ALT16

- All files work fine with the computer's speakers.

- No changes have been made in the ALT16 itself, neither configurations nor software updates.

- The network was upgraded to 200Mbps using Cat6 cables back in February.  It's remotely possible that I've never listened to 24/96 files of more than 10 minutes since then, and quite possible I've never tried the one or two files I have in 24/192.  In the past, each of the files did work with the ALT16.

Thank you and best regards,
Amir

JimH

• Administrator

Can you bypass the network and connect to the output device with a USB cable or another direct connection?  Just to test. 

AK1

• Recent member

Using the Player to play via the OS to a USB connected to the ALT16 does work.

mp3 files also work thru the network.

Could it be a regression in MC 27.0.85?  This seems to be the only change in the configuration.

THANKS!!

JimH

• Administrator

I don't think this is an MC problem, since it works when it's connected by USB.

Your device may have different capabilities when connected via network.  That's not uncommon.

Or the network has problems.  It may not be as fast as you believe.

Have you tried the manufacturer of the device?

AK1

• Recent member

I haven't tried the manufacturer yet -- one thing at the time :)

The fact that it works with USB does prove MC has no problem with reading the files.
It does not rule out the possibility of a problem in MC's handing of the network.

What bothers me is that nothing has changed except MC 84 to 85 and the computer's Windows Update.  Neither the ALT16 nor the local network has changed.

I can't know if the internet connection has changed, but not the *local* network definitely hasn't.

The network had no problem with the same 25/06 and 24/192 files with MC in the past, and no problem in streaming at 24/192 form Qobuz (to which I no longer have access).

Is it possible to downgrade to 84 for testing and re-upgrade to 85?

Thank you and best regards!
Amir
Pages: [1]   Go Up