INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shopping List for Albums  (Read 578 times)

rsg

• Galactic Citizen
Shopping List for Albums
« on: June 10, 2021, 01:19:43 pm »

OK, another first-world 'problem'...please bear with me on this. When you're out and about (music store, thrift store, garage sale and so forth) and you see an interesting CD (assuming you still buy/acquire this format) that you would like to purchase and rip into MC, what do you do if you can't remember if you already have it in your music collection that may be, like mine, approaching 10,000 albums? Mostly, I do know what I have, but I hate buying dupes. I used to have a list on my phone, but it became unwieldy. And I've been collecting music recently like there's no tomorrow (while they still make CD's I guess). Maybe used CDs are so cheap that you buy them anyway with little worry or care. Yes, I get that. In short, is it possible to extract a list of albums out of one's library files, or even File Explorer? You know the thing: keep the list in Word or something on your phone. Well, I did warn warn you...it's strictly first-world (but I'm a library/list nerd). And please: no "Forget about it and start streaming" 'cos I'm not gonna do that.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Shopping List for Albums
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2021, 01:26:29 pm »

You could set up Media Network so you can access MC from the Internet.

or

You could copy and paste any selection to a spreadsheet.

rsg

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2021, 01:53:57 pm »

You could copy and paste any selection to a spreadsheet.

OK, copy and paste from where? I've been trying to copy from MC.

DJLegba

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2021, 02:00:27 pm »

Accessing MC from the internet is the easiest way to search your collection. It uses very little data if you don't actually listen to anything on your phone while you're shopping.

jkrzok

• World Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2021, 03:34:20 pm »

For those of us like me that don't always leave the PC running...

I created a view under audio with the rules for file display being audio only and track number less than 2. You could set that to one but I fear I might be missing an album with no track numbers. Personally I also eliminate some genres, like Old Time Radio and Nature. When you open this view you can  then add or eliminate columns of no interest, like genre, track number (for me). Then you can just copy the resulting list and paste into whatever spreadsheet oo other file you may like.

rsg

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2021, 05:39:07 pm »

For those of us like me that don't always leave the PC running...

Yes, I was thinking of something more like this. Thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up