INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ways to navigate through thousands of albums in JRiver library?  (Read 1072 times)

zmz125000

• Recent member

Hi,
I have a few terabytes of music files on my HDD, I categorized them by pop, classics, score then in subfolders by artists and composer like Beethoven and Pink Floyd.

It's easy to find albums in folder structure, when I want Beethoven I can get it by three click: classic->Beethoven->the album, and foobar2000 is good with it because fb2k support folder structure view very well.

when it comes to JRiver, with JRiver's powerful library view it's very hard to find the album I want since a song can usually have different version, in different album, by different artists, even in different remastered so it's nearly impossible with JRiver's filters (artist etc.).

In foobar2000, it list subfolders as first strusture, in JRiver, it list Drive at first so I need to click Drive->folder->subfolder etc. JRiver can't bookmark folders likes windows explorer ether.

Can you give me some tips with my situation? Thank you.

Update: I use files view and save views on exit "Tools > Options > Startup > Startup Interface > Location:" now JRiver works like foobar2000.

zybex

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Ways to navigate through thousands of albums in JRiver library?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2021, 06:07:06 am »

Isn't the 'Genres' view what you are describing? You can drill down by Genre, then Artist, then albums.
You can customize an existing View or create a new one to display albums as you want. You can also create Playlists to hold your bookmarks or favorites. There's also a customizable Favorites toolbar icon (right click on the menu bar, select Customize).

zmz125000

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2021, 06:19:08 am »

Thank you for your help.
Genres don't play well with generic genres such as rock and classic which have many sub-genres, and put many albums in a playlist mess it up. I am using JRiver's primitive file browser now.

Manfred

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2021, 06:26:12 am »

I have organized it in the following way (Album Artist are Artist with complete album's; Mixed are e.g.CD's coming with stereoplay and containing modern and classical music):
WS (AMD Ryzen 7 5700G, 32 GB DDR4-3200, 2x2 TB SDD, LG 34UC98-W)-USB|ADI-2 DAC FS|Canton AM5 - File Server (i3-3.9 GHz, 16GB ECC DDR4-2400, 46 TB disk space) - Media Renderer (i3-3.8 GHz, 8GB DDR4-2133, GTX 960)-USB|Devialet D220 Pro|Audeze LCD 2|B&W 804S|LG 4K OLED )

EnglishTiger

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2021, 09:04:52 am »

JRiver can't bookmark folders likes windows explorer ether.

Can you give me some tips with my situation? Thank you.

If you add "Favourites" to the task bar you can then add a Folder to Favourites, MC's equivalent of Bookmarking a Folder.

To add a Folder, or anything else, to Favourites you select the Folder/Item you want to add then select "Add to Favourites" from the Favourites DropDown Menu.
Win NUC - VENOEN 11Th NUC Mini PC Core i7 1165G7,Dual HDMI 2.0+Mini DP,Windows 11 Mini Desktop Computer,Thunderbolt 4.0,1 Lan, USB-C,Wifi,Bluetooth 5.0,32GB RAM Toshiba MQ04ABF100 ‎500Gb 5400 RPM ‎eSATA HD, Gigabyte GP-GSM2NE3512GNTD 1Tb NVMe SSD, Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB SATA 2.5 Inch SSD (MZ-77Q8T0) in Sabrent Ultra Slim USB 3.0 to 2.5-Inch SATA External Aluminium Hard Drive Enclosure (EC-UK30)

Apple 2020 Mac mini M1 Chip (8GB RAM, 512GB SSD)
Sabrent Thunderbolt 3 to Dual NVMe M.2 SSD Tool-Free Enclosure with Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 High Performance SSD + Crucial P3 Plus 4TB M.2 PCIe

ET Skins & TrackInfo Plugins - https://englishtiger.uk/index.html

zmz125000

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2021, 09:10:38 am »

Thanks, that's helpful.

zmz125000

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2021, 09:58:19 am »

If you add "Favourites" to the task bar you can then add a Folder to Favourites, MC's equivalent of Bookmarking a Folder.

I can't bookmark a folder, add to favourites just add current view to favourites, in my case it add root of locations to F instead of adding current folder.

zmz125000

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2021, 10:00:52 am »

I have organized it in the following way (Album Artist are Artist with complete album's; Mixed are e.g.CD's coming with stereoplay and containing modern and classical music):

This will flatten out the structure and mix different artists under the same genres together

EnglishTiger

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2021, 12:30:26 pm »

I can't bookmark a folder, add to favourites just add current view to favourites, in my case it add root of locations to F instead of adding current folder.

To add a folder to favourites - Expand Files until the Folder is visible in the list, left click on the folder to select it and then click on "Add to Favourites" and enter a meaningful name for the folder.

I tested it by selecting a folder that contained only the tracks from an album and that worked, followed by selecting a folder that contained sub-folders and that also worked
Win NUC - VENOEN 11Th NUC Mini PC Core i7 1165G7,Dual HDMI 2.0+Mini DP,Windows 11 Mini Desktop Computer,Thunderbolt 4.0,1 Lan, USB-C,Wifi,Bluetooth 5.0,32GB RAM Toshiba MQ04ABF100 ‎500Gb 5400 RPM ‎eSATA HD, Gigabyte GP-GSM2NE3512GNTD 1Tb NVMe SSD, Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB SATA 2.5 Inch SSD (MZ-77Q8T0) in Sabrent Ultra Slim USB 3.0 to 2.5-Inch SATA External Aluminium Hard Drive Enclosure (EC-UK30)

Apple 2020 Mac mini M1 Chip (8GB RAM, 512GB SSD)
Sabrent Thunderbolt 3 to Dual NVMe M.2 SSD Tool-Free Enclosure with Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 High Performance SSD + Crucial P3 Plus 4TB M.2 PCIe

ET Skins & TrackInfo Plugins - https://englishtiger.uk/index.html

zmz125000

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2021, 07:53:29 pm »

It works and I am surprised how unintuitive it is. Thanks

mkolmar

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2021, 01:39:58 pm »

I have a view with panes for Location, Artist, Album, and File type, with the list of files. Something like that is not difficult to set up. These days, I only browse by location if the location is the important part.

Search is powerful. Despite it's quirks, I rely heavily on search. It is as fast or faster than if you browse different views based on artist, album, etc.
Pages: [1]   Go Up