INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help With Home Networking Solution  (Read 1067 times)

vigotone

• Junior Woodchuck
Help With Home Networking Solution
« on: June 13, 2021, 03:48:27 pm »

My media server consists of a Mac Mini running JRiver Media Center 26. Most of my files are ALAC, with the exception of multichannel albums, which are FLAC. I am able to playback multichannel albums via DLNA to my Oppo 205, and everything is wonderful.

I am trying to install a simple system in my bedroom, with an LG TV and Atmos Soundbar (and satellite surrounds), as well as an Apple TV 4K, which will allow me to play multichannel files from my server. The LG TV shows up as a DLNA renderer in JRiver, but it will only playback in stereo. I've tried setting up a Plex server on the Mac Mini and using the Plex Apple TV client, but once again, I only get stereo (even though I was under the impression Plex could play multichannel FLAC). I even tried Emby, but same thing: just stereo. Also I know that any hi-res files that go through Apple TV will be downsampled to 24/48, which is a bummer.

So what's the best solution for me? I can't afford another Oppo Blu-ray player, but I know that works flawlessly as a DLNA renderer, where I could use JRemote to playback anything from my library quickly and easily (and in native resolution). Is there another (affordable) unit I could use as a DLNA renderer connected via HDMI? I'm not an Android user, but would Nvidia Shield be a solution?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

HaWi

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Help With Home Networking Solution
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2021, 09:34:10 am »

First, I am surprised you got any DLNA renderer to play multichannel. I tried it, although not with oppo, and failed in all attempts. In fact, my research led me to believe that it is impossible to play mch via DLNA. Anyway, my solution was to run MC on a Raspberry Pi4 and connect my 5.1 receiver to that via HDMI (actually much easier to set up than I thought, without any burden of knowledge regarding Linux  8) ).
Alternatively, you could move the Mac Mini to your bedroom and connect the system there via USB>HDMI (that works, I've done it with an iMac). However, you'd need ethernet in your bedroom to be able to continue to use your main set-up via DLNA.
rPi5/8GB, Debian 12 Bookworm on SSD | JRMark (32.0.45 64 bit): 2788
MacBookPro (2013), 2.6 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, MacOS 11.7.17 | JRMark (32.0.44 64 bit): 3706
Mac Studio M2 Max, 64GB, 1TB SSD, macOS Sonoma 14.5 | JRMark (32.0.44 64 bit): 9135
Docker Container (shiomax) DS1819+ | JRMark (32.0.45 64 bit): 1260
JRemote 3.43
MO 4Media 1.5.7 | Marantz SR7007 (RSL 5.1) HDMI to MacBookPro

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2021, 09:41:16 am »

DLNA Renderers are the only limit.  If they support a file type, MC can send it.  Oppo has very broad support.

vigotone

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2021, 01:09:55 pm »

Thanks for the replies. I think Raspberry Pi is too complicated for me. Is there another Blu-ray player that can act as a DLNA renderer (like the Oppo) and playback multichannel FLAC?
Pages: [1]   Go Up