INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Raspberry Pi as a media renderer  (Read 3351 times)

VenoM

• Recent member
Raspberry Pi as a media renderer
« on: June 15, 2021, 11:27:50 pm »

Hi,
I purchased a JR MC Windows license a couple of years ago and then put my media network project on the back burner. I have had spotty success with Gizmo and gave up for some time until recently. It looks like a slew of conflicts that included Windows settings, the firewall and my VPN were interfering. I seem to have stumbled upon a solution (knock on wood).
Now I'm looking for other ways to stream from my Windows media server. I did not purchase a "master license" at the time because I had no intention of using Linux, however I recently started experimenting with a Raspberry Pi and I'm sure these could come in handy in a media network. I may decide to eventually buy a master license so that I have more flexibility when I'm better set up.

HaWi

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Raspberry Pi as a media renderer
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2021, 09:19:04 am »

I moved from iMac to docker (on a NAS) to an RPi4 and I don't regret it. It's very stable and just works. There is excellent support for it on the forum here.
Just be prepared to do library maintenance on another, more powerful machine. On the Pi, doing tag editing is painfully slow if you have a larger library (mine is medium size with about 25K files and it is v e r y  s l o w  :( ).
rPi5/8GB, Debian 12 Bookworm on SSD | JRMark (32.0.45 64 bit): 2788
MacBookPro (2013), 2.6 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, MacOS 11.7.17 | JRMark (32.0.44 64 bit): 3706
Mac Studio M2 Max, 64GB, 1TB SSD, macOS Sonoma 14.5 | JRMark (32.0.44 64 bit): 9135
Docker Container (shiomax) DS1819+ | JRMark (32.0.45 64 bit): 1260
JRemote 3.43
MO 4Media 1.5.7 | Marantz SR7007 (RSL 5.1) HDMI to MacBookPro

MikeO

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2021, 09:21:37 am »

If you are looking to use the RPi as just a renderer , try Ropieee XL

It’s a Linux OS stripped to just audio. It’s designed for Roon but the XL version supports DNLA and AirPlay.

It’s supported on the Roon forum , but it’s incredibly stable and free, all donation welcome stuff. I use it for Roon but it works fine on MC

https://ropieee.org/xl/

There is a MC version for IdPi as well

El Viejo

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2021, 02:50:39 pm »

I have reviewed the information of RoPieee XL and it seems to me a very interesting option to use it as a media renderer for Hi Res files connected to my DENON PMA-50, with built-in DAC.
But, before buying the RPi, I have some doubts that I would like to solve.

1. The installation process is well explained and doesn't seem difficult.
2. Once the RoPiee XL is installed, I connect the Raspberry to my DENON using a USB cable.
3. I turn on both devices.
4. In JRiver Options, I go to the "Media Network" > "Add or configure DLNA servers" section. Here, will the RoPieee XL appear for me to add and configure, or do I have to do something beforehand?

Can you help me to get it right?
I am an 80 year old Spaniard and I have difficulties with the English language. Thank you in advance for your help.

MikeO

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2021, 12:05:26 am »

Not quite

You set up a default DLNA server in Media Server.

Then set up the RPI with Riopeee XL as you have found so far

In the main MC program, top left, you should see Riopeee

In Options > Audio you should be able to select Riopeee XL as your default device

Then USB to the amp and go

I am away from my PC for the next few days, I'll post screen shots when I get home

El Viejo

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2021, 04:46:21 am »

Thank you very much for your help.

I am going to perform a first test with an old RPi 3B.
If I manage to configure the system, I will buy a RPi 4. I think that 4 GB of RAM will be enough.

Best regards.

El Viejo

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2021, 12:29:20 pm »

My first attempt to configure RoPieee XL as it has been partially successful. Connected to my wired network, MC recognizes it and it appears under "Playing Now".
I have thus been able to listen to music in two deferent places: in my study, where I have the PC that hosts my library, connected to a headphone amplifier with DAC and in my living room, where the Raspberry is connected to a DENON amplifier.
But, if I try to use WiFi, instead of cable, RoPiee XL does not show up MC. Apparently, I have configured WiFi correctly in RoPiee. But something is missing and I don't know how I should use WPA-PSK (Passphrase).
I attach two images, because I don't know how to include them in the body of the post.
During this week I will carefully read the MC Wiki and the forums to find the solution. It will take me a long time, due to my poor English and my limited knowledge of networking and DLNA.

stefano_mbp

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2021, 01:03:25 pm »

Maybe it should be better to post your RoPieee Wi-Fi issue on the RoPieee support forum, here
https://community.roonlabs.com/c/audio-gear-talk/ropieee/56

El Viejo

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2021, 01:48:27 pm »

I have superficially consulted the Roon forum. I will spend some time tomorrow.
I assume that the "WPA-PSK (Passphrase)" field is used to enter the password for my network. But I have not been able to overwrite above :y'#.
Thank you very much for your suggestion.

MikeO

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2021, 12:51:31 am »

The RPi are not renown for their WiFi performance . I always use mine by ethernet connection. If you use wi fi beware you may have issues with Hi Res audio content.

The Image in Playing now at least means that your DLNA is working OK and seeing the RoPieee instance , so its a wi fi issue

The author of RoPieee is the best person to ask , he is active on the Roon forum so goto the Roon Community that is shown above and

1. include a reference to @Spockfish in your request (direct quote alerts a user by name)

2. the images you have shown here

El Viejo

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2021, 04:09:55 am »

Success!!!
The problem was that I had not done enough reboots to be able to write the password to my local area network.
Now I listen to my library files (FLAC, DSF) in the living room.
Thank you all for your help.
This success proves that technology is not a forbidden thing for an 80 year old.
I am very happy and now I have to improve my library management with RoPieee XL.

MikeO

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2021, 04:16:51 am »

Great news

I am a mere youngster at 71 😈 but still a techie at heart

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2021, 05:18:16 am »

Just be prepared to do library maintenance on another, more powerful machine. On the Pi, doing tag editing is painfully slow if you have a larger library (mine is medium size with about 25K files and it is v e r y  s l o w  :( ).
Are the files on the Pi?  Or on a network drive?

El Viejo

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2021, 08:40:07 am »

The music files are hosted on one of the hard drives of my desktop PC, where I have the MC license installed. I have been managing the library tags for several years and MC does it very well.

That PC is connected by a USB cable to an amplifier with DAC.

Until now, it was the only place where I listened to music.
Now I also listen to it in my living room thanks to the RPi/RoPieee XL. In addition, FLAC and DSD files are played at the same bitrate as on the PC.

I am very happy.

I will continue to test its capabilities and will probably replace the RPi 3B with an RPi 4.

MikeO

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2021, 09:41:03 am »

@jimh

Riopeee was a Roon thing initially, it’s a Linux distro with Roon’s Bridge software combined. It’s downloadable free to Roon users.

Designed really to act as a low cost streamer unit supporting Roon’s RAAT distribution protocol (Roon doesn’t  support DNLA). Initially that’s literally all it did, you get a bit perfect streamer for peanuts. A lot of Roon users use this software.

It was extended a while back to support AirPlay and DNLA as the XL version. Thus making it usable with MC, as I do. The author is a very active member of the Roon Forum.

It was never envisaged to act as a server unit as a Roon product in effect the RPi wouldn’t have the horsepower to run the Roon core server.
Pages: [1]   Go Up