INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Moving files problem  (Read 545 times)

tzr916

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Moving files problem
« on: June 20, 2021, 03:58:28 pm »

I was using Rename, Move, Copy in MC to move 600 files from a USB drive to a SATA drive, and half way through the USB drive disappeared! It seems like MC tagged all 600 files but only half actually got moved. The USB drive is now working and I can access all those files in windows explorer, but how do I get MC to find them again without using Import (and probably loosing all the tagging)?
JRiverMC v32 •Windows 10 Pro 64bit •Defender Exclusions •ṈŘ 3rd party AV
•ASUS TUF gaming WiFi z590 •Thermaltake Toughpower GX2 600W
•i7-11700k @ 3.6GHz~5GHz •32GB PC4-25600 DDR4
•OS on Crucial P5 Plus M.2 PCIe Gen4 •Tv Recordings on SATA 6TB WD Red Pro
•4 OTA & 6 CableCard SiliconDust Tuners
•nVidia RTX2060 •XBR65Z9D •AVRX3700H •Fluance 7.2.2 [FH]
•SMP1000DSPѫeD A3-300[RSS315HE-22] •SPA300DѫYSTSW215[15-PRX8S4]

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
Re: Moving files problem
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2021, 05:44:52 pm »

I was using Rename, Move, Copy in MC to move 600 files from a USB drive to a SATA drive, and half way through the USB drive disappeared! It seems like MC tagged all 600 files but only half actually got moved. The USB drive is now working and I can access all those files in windows explorer, but how do I get MC to find them again without using Import (and probably loosing all the tagging)?

So, step one is to either disable auto-import in the background (if you normally leave it on), or turn off the "fix broken links" auto-import option temporarily.  This is to prevent MC from removing your broken links before you can fix them yourself. 

Then go to a view that shows the files you previously tried to move, can you see which links are "broken"?  If so select one or two of the broken links, and then open the rename, move, copy tool.  In the upper left corner, there's a drop down, and you should choose the fourth option (the one that says something like "update database to point to new location").  This tool can be used to change what file location the library database entries point to without actually moving any files.  Because the database entries were changed, but the underlying files weren't moved to the new location, you need to use the "update" tool to do the reverse of whatever previous move you did (i.e. if you were previously trying to move from C:\ to D:\, instead go from D:\ to C:\). 

Once you do that the broken library entries should now be pointing back at the original file location and the red broken link icon should disappear.  If the files play when you click on them, that's a good sign.  If that worked correctly, you should then be able to do the original rename, move, copy operation on those files and they should get moved properly.

Once you've gotten it working with a few files, then you can go back and do all the broken links at once.

tzr916

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2021, 08:05:23 am »

Well, I just restored my first 1 of 300 files... Problem is, MC is not showing a the typical broken link icon for the files that didn't move, the file's thumbnail is still there. Is there some way to force MC to show the broken link icon without screwing thing up? Otherwise I will be at this for days, manually finding them one at a time.
....can you see which links are "broken"?
I found in the WIKI how to make a smartlist for broken links, which worked for me. I was able to restore the links using your method, now copying the remaining files to the new location. Thank you so much.
JRiverMC v32 •Windows 10 Pro 64bit •Defender Exclusions •ṈŘ 3rd party AV
•ASUS TUF gaming WiFi z590 •Thermaltake Toughpower GX2 600W
•i7-11700k @ 3.6GHz~5GHz •32GB PC4-25600 DDR4
•OS on Crucial P5 Plus M.2 PCIe Gen4 •Tv Recordings on SATA 6TB WD Red Pro
•4 OTA & 6 CableCard SiliconDust Tuners
•nVidia RTX2060 •XBR65Z9D •AVRX3700H •Fluance 7.2.2 [FH]
•SMP1000DSPѫeD A3-300[RSS315HE-22] •SPA300DѫYSTSW215[15-PRX8S4]

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2021, 09:22:51 am »

Well, I just restored my first 1 of 300 files... Problem is, MC is not showing a the typical broken link icon for the files that didn't move, the file's thumbnail is still there. Is there some way to force MC to show the broken link icon without screwing thing up? Otherwise I will be at this for days, manually finding them one at a time.I found in the WIKI how to make a smartlist for broken links, which worked for me. I was able to restore the links using your method, now copying the remaining files to the new location. Thank you so much.

I'm glad you got it sorted out! 
Pages: [1]   Go Up