INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Video Collection functionality.  (Read 1050 times)

kwm1800

• Recent member
Video Collection functionality.
« on: June 20, 2021, 09:41:41 pm »

Compared to other programs and server-based programs (Plex, Jellyfin, Emby, etc), I found creating collection on JRiver very complicated. I understand some people even do not know we can make collections in the first place.

I'd really like to have an ability to just select the titles, right-click and "assign to collection(s)". I found changing file names, folder structures and so forth really tedious. I understand this involves with how database works so I am not sure whether this can be changed but it would be really good if we can have a decent collection creation system.

Also, as now collection only works on HTPC mode, not in normal windowed player. I'd also like to see collections working at all environment.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Feature request: Improve video Collection functionality.
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2021, 10:10:29 pm »

In MC, you don't need to be concerned with location.  You can use tags to group movies.  Read the Tagging topic on the wiki.

Then give an example of what you want.

kwm1800

• Recent member
Re: Video Collection functionality.
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2021, 12:37:58 am »

I see, it seems my explanation was way too simple.

So... Right now in Windows mode this is what I see when I click on Video -> Movies

You can see there are movies that are multiple series, such as 300, Aliens, Animusic, Back to the Future and Blade Runner. There are a lot of movies in same series (or say, collection).

Plex and Jellyfin combine these series into one clickable title.

The view is much more compressed and clustered, much easier to navigate. When I click "Batman Collection" for instance, the screen changes and show me the movies that have tag "Batman Collection."

I see there is "Grouping" tag for the video. I tried to utilize it by putting some movies with same Grouping names and tried to see the list via "Group By" option, then this happens.

I have to say this is not that ideal.

Also, I think this collection mechanics can be used for CD albums as well, which can be definitely helpful for navigation.

Manfred

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2021, 06:07:48 am »

I do the following:

e.g Batman is of type movie, I put into the series field "Batman" and I use the season field for a collection of movies e.g. 1,2 3 for the three Batman movies.
WS (AMD Ryzen 7 5700G, 32 GB DDR4-3200, 2x2 TB SDD, LG 34UC98-W)-USB|ADI-2 DAC FS|Canton AM5 - File Server (i3-3.9 GHz, 16GB ECC DDR4-2400, 46 TB disk space) - Media Renderer (i3-3.8 GHz, 8GB DDR4-2133, GTX 960)-USB|Devialet D220 Pro|Audeze LCD 2|B&W 804S|LG 4K OLED )

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2021, 09:20:13 am »

Add a Series/Name expression for your category view.

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2021, 10:46:26 am »

I do the following:

e.g Batman is of type movie, I put into the series field "Batman" and I use the season field for a collection of movies e.g. 1,2 3 for the three Batman movies.

I use season field to create sub collection ... eg series "Middle Earth", season 1 for LOTR and 2 for Hobbit
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

kwm1800

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2021, 04:33:58 am »

Thank you so much for responses.

This indeed can take care of simple movie collections (though quite complicated)... but how do I handle the movies/shows with multiple versions? There are movies that have multiple versions (1080p, 4K, theatrical, extended) and it seems there is no way to put all versions into one listing. For instance, in Animusic video files, there is Animusic 1, Animusic 2 and Animusic HD. For Animusic HD, I decided to encode H265 version for dedicated player and VP9 version for web browser playback (since this format with webm is what Chrome/Firefox support). I assigned Animusic 1 as "1" on season, "2" for Animusic 2 and "3" for both H265 and VP9 file for Animusic HD but it still shows as duplicated listing.

And it seems Series/Name expression is not one of default choices for category view. Perhaps this can be made into one of default settings.

EnglishTiger

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2021, 05:29:31 am »

Thank you so much for responses.

This indeed can take care of simple movie collections (though quite complicated)... but how do I handle the movies/shows with multiple versions? There are movies that have multiple versions (1080p, 4K, theatrical, extended) and it seems there is no way to put all versions into one listing. For instance, in Animusic video files, there is Animusic 1, Animusic 2 and Animusic HD. For Animusic HD, I decided to encode H265 version for dedicated player and VP9 version for web browser playback (since this format with webm is what Chrome/Firefox support). I assigned Animusic 1 as "1" on season, "2" for Animusic 2 and "3" for both H265 and VP9 file for Animusic HD but it still shows as duplicated listing.

And it seems Series/Name expression is not one of default choices for category view. Perhaps this can be made into one of default settings.

MC will consider all files/videos with exactly the same name as duplicates - one way of overcoming this is to append something to the name of the files/videos so that MC no longer considers them to be duplicates
Win NUC - VENOEN 11Th NUC Mini PC Core i7 1165G7,Dual HDMI 2.0+Mini DP,Windows 11 Mini Desktop Computer,Thunderbolt 4.0,1 Lan, USB-C,Wifi,Bluetooth 5.0,32GB RAM Toshiba MQ04ABF100 ‎500Gb 5400 RPM ‎eSATA HD, Gigabyte GP-GSM2NE3512GNTD 1Tb NVMe SSD, Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB SATA 2.5 Inch SSD (MZ-77Q8T0) in Sabrent Ultra Slim USB 3.0 to 2.5-Inch SATA External Aluminium Hard Drive Enclosure (EC-UK30)

Apple 2020 Mac mini M1 Chip (8GB RAM, 512GB SSD)
Sabrent Thunderbolt 3 to Dual NVMe M.2 SSD Tool-Free Enclosure with Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 High Performance SSD + Crucial P3 Plus 4TB M.2 PCIe

ET Skins & TrackInfo Plugins - https://englishtiger.uk/index.html
Pages: [1]   Go Up