INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Video Hangs/Goes Blank/Freezes  (Read 850 times)

TOM GUIN

• Recent member
Video Hangs/Goes Blank/Freezes
« on: June 28, 2021, 01:30:51 pm »

Use a Subject Line for your post that describes the issue generally (as opposed to generic titles such as "help me please") - Video Hangs/Goes Blank/Freezes

The full version number of MC you are using - 28.0.32 (Issue happens with the previous 3 builds)

A description of the issue - I play mkv videos and randomly the playback will stop/freeze/Go blank.  MediaCenter then stops responding.  This stated with 28.0.29.  I waited a few builds and tried again with 28.0.32 and it still happens.  I have no issues playing the videos in question with MediaCenter 25.

Step-by-step instructions on how you reproduce the issue (whenever possible) - I just play mkv videos and at some point it will stop/freeze/go blank and stop responding.

The steps you've taken to investigate or address the issue (see above) - I retried playing videos and at some point the issue happens again.  I then go back to 25 (both MC's are installed, 25 and 28) and no problems occur.  I then waited for a later build of MC 28 and the issue recurs.

Any patterns you've noticed during testing (see above) - No patterns noticed.

Important: The log zip file created by the Report Problem button under Help > Logging - Attached

paullings

• Recent member
Re: Video Hangs/Goes Blank/Freezes
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2021, 03:11:12 pm »

I am seeing the same problem using 28.0.88. I can play 1 file (mp4 and mkv) fine and then the next file will freeze. Unfortunately it happens randomly as a file will play fine 1 time and may freeze the next. Didn't have this issue before version 28 and I've upgraded to each version previously. I access the files locally and on my NAS. I have also uninstalled and reinstalled MC 28 and recreated my library from scratch.
Windows 10 64 bit.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2021, 03:51:06 pm »

If you're using the new JRVR renderer, turn off Super-res or use a different renderer.

paullings

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2021, 04:15:00 pm »

Thanks for the reply but where do I find that setting.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2021, 04:40:46 pm »

The Options page has a search.  Change your Red October video settings.  Use RO Std.

paullings

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2021, 10:57:36 pm »

Thanks. It was actually set to RO Std because I haven't changed anything so I changed it to RO JRVR and it seems fine so far.

skippysonics

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2021, 04:11:47 am »

This just started happening to me after the latest update, where it didn't crash, but would just freeze up and I would have to use task manager to end process. It usually happened when I was jumping to the next video or a long distance in the same video. Tonight, I left the task manager open on one screen to see if maybe I'd see another process spike and I thought I saw a GPU spike so on a whim I turned off the use hardware decoding setting in MC and sure enough it hasn't frozen in over 100 jumps now (used to happen ever 3-5). Now 4 or 5 times it did pause for 5 or 6 seconds before playing, but it always played. Once I also had an odd audio thing where it sounded like it was trying to play then would skip back and try again similar to an old record skipping, but even that time I was able to go back to the main menu and hit play again.

Hope this helps.
Pages: [1]   Go Up