INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Some Detail on Disk Space Used by Playlists PLS  (Read 1399 times)

dco43054

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Some Detail on Disk Space Used by Playlists PLS
« on: April 02, 2003, 04:06:18 pm »

Hi all,

Newbie to MC9, only been using it for a couple days now, but like it a LOT.  Realize it is still in Beta, but has been stable for me.

What I'd like to know is how Playlists are structured and what resources they use - both on my PC and iPod?

I am assuming that I have one or many MP3 files that only exist once on my desktop, or iPod, but are referenced in a variety of ways - Artist, Album title, song title, and through Playlists.  But again, that the actual file only exists once.

I want to put a variety of Playlists on my 20 gig iPod and want to know how much space to leave for Playlists.  I have more than enough music to fill the iPod, so I have to decide what to leave off.  Just want to make sure there is enough space left for the Playlists.

I guess if someone could tell me that X amount of songs in a Playlist take up Y amount of disk space, that would answer my question.  And if I'm not correct on how music and Playlists coexist, I'd certainly like to know the correct info.

Thanks,

Dave

dco43054

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Re: Some Detail on Disk Space Used by Playlists PL
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2003, 02:15:49 pm »

Anyone?  Anyone?  Bueller?....

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2003, 02:32:14 pm »

Playlists take basically no space.

1000's of playlists take the same space as one MP3.

No worries :)
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2003, 02:32:52 pm »

If you make 10 playlists of 10 songs, MC will only use just a little bit more space than the 10 songs themselves.  The playlist is a database entry, not a copy of all the songs.

It's probably the same on the iPod, but I'm not sure.

Trying it will tell you.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2003, 02:53:37 pm »

hehehe  ;D
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

dco43054

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2003, 03:28:51 pm »

Thanks guys, that's what I thought.  

I guess I have the iPod almost completely full and it is bumping up against the limit.

I probably didn't do this the best way, and if someone has a better way, please let me know.  But in order to load just the music I wanted to my iPod, I created a playlist that has 5,000 songs on it.  They are in artist order.  

Then, I wanted to create "sub" lists that have pop/rock, reggae, jazz, world, etc.  I did this because I wanted everything I could on the iPod and the first list is everything.  

When I tried to load a couple of the sub lists, I was told there was not enough space on the iPod.  So, my guess was, since I assumed playlists were effectively just indexes, that I was just too full.

If there is a flaw in my logic, please let me know.  But I am going to go back and get rid of a stray holiday music CD that found its way on, and hopefully that will allow enough space for the rest of the playlists I want to create.

Thanks again,

Dave

dco43054

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2003, 05:32:55 pm »

Operator Error... ::)

Well, I figured out why I was having problems.  When synchronizing, I was evidently clicking on the select all button, which not only selected my playlists, but the smartlist as well, which had even more music on them.  So, I was exceeding the capacity of my iPod.

When I just click on my playlists, the first load of "all iPod music" goes slowly as the files transfer, but then the subsequent playlists that are "children" to the "parent" just fly by.

Thanks for your help in sorting this out.

Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up