INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why is Playback Range not working for me?  (Read 638 times)

haggis999

• Galactic Citizen
Why is Playback Range not working for me?
« on: July 03, 2021, 03:38:34 am »

I've just tried using the Playback Range tag in MC 27 (running under Windows 10) to play a predefined A - B section of an MKV video file, but it has had no effect. The video always starts at the beginning. I had the same result setting Playback Range for a FLAC audio file. All my media files are stored on a Synology NAS.

I was following the instructions on https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Playback_Range and the chosen cues were within the range of the media files. For example, I set the PlayBack Range tag to 1:20-4:00 (i.e. 1min 20sec to 4min 0sec) for a video lasting over 2 hours.

What might I be doing wrong?

EDIT:  A test of a .cue file that contained the setting INDEX 01 05:00:00 (to start playing an audio file 5mins after the start) also played the music from the beginning, so my setup of MC does not seem to like any cue points.

haggis999

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Why is Playback Range not working for me?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2021, 05:00:15 am »

My post has met with no response after four days  :(

Perhaps I'm being impatient, but is there no one out there who can offer advice on using Playback Range?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2021, 07:47:22 am »

I just entered  1:20-4:00 for one of my APE files and the duration updated and that's exactly the range it plays.

So I'm not sure.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

haggis999

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2021, 07:58:04 am »

I just entered  1:20-4:00 for one of my APE files and the duration updated and that's exactly the range it plays.

So I'm not sure.

Hi Matt,
Is it possible for you to run another check with MKV and FLAC files?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2021, 08:02:43 am »

It seems like MKV and FLAC work fine as well.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2021, 08:08:04 am »

I'm using the latest MC28, so you might try that as well.

haggis999

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2021, 08:17:33 am »

I've just tried again with an MKV video and made a point (for the first time) of checking the effect on the Duration tag after entering a Playback Range setting. The Duration did indeed change to the correct new value. When playing the modified MKV, it still started from the beginning, but I noticed that the end point reflected the new duration.

A more precise description of my problem, therefore, is that the start cue is not being honoured.

I'll give MC28 a go to see if that makes any difference. 

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2021, 08:17:59 am »

You're using the embedded player right, not an external player?
Are you starting playback using the UI or via MC27/MCC commands?
Are you using a zone configured for bitstreaming? Not sure if ranges work with that.

haggis999

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2021, 08:45:20 am »

I've just installed MC28 for the first time and the Playback Range setting for my MKV file worked fine. I then went back to MC27 and the previous problem did not reoccur! I also now have no problem with audio files on MC27. In all cases, I've been using the embedded player via the MC UI without any special zone settings.

My main focus has been on MKV files, where it was immediately obvious that they always started playing from the beginning whatever setting had been used for Playback Range. However, I now realise that my test of a FLAC file was flawed. I was assuming that the player would display the selected start cue, when it actually always shows 0:00 for the start. The volume was turned down, so I didn't hear any variation in the starting point of the music. It's still possible that I had an issue with Playback Range on audio files, but it's no longer present.

I'm struggling to understand how the MC28 installation could have fixed anything in MC27. Can anyone offer a plausible explanation?     
Pages: [1]   Go Up