INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HTPC for 4K  (Read 2030 times)

Denti

• Citizen of the Universe
HTPC for 4K
« on: July 03, 2021, 01:21:57 pm »

I’m looking to upgrade my HTPC and use my current one for my server. I want to play 4K video and upscale with MadVR (30hz or 60hz?) and output 4xDSD. What specs do I need? Would a NUC i5 do the trick? The 8279U looks appealing, price wise. Will the graphics card be enough. No gaming here. Just movies. Not sure if I’m overspending or underspending by going with that model. I could also build one with a GPU. But do I need to?

rec head

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: HTPC for 4K
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2021, 07:19:18 am »

MadVR uses the GPU so depending on if you want to use the high settings then you will need one.

madbrain

• Galactic Citizen
Re: HTPC for 4K
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2021, 07:15:41 pm »

I’m looking to upgrade my HTPC and use my current one for my server. I want to play 4K video and upscale with MadVR (30hz or 60hz?) and output 4xDSD. What specs do I need? Would a NUC i5 do the trick? The 8279U looks appealing, price wise. Will the graphics card be enough. No gaming here. Just movies. Not sure if I’m overspending or underspending by going with that model. I could also build one with a GPU. But do I need to?

I'm not aware of any GPU that can bitstream DSD over HDMI, if that's what you are looking for. You can use JRiver to transcode DSD to PCM, though, but that can be an expensive operation CPU-wise in real-time. My old HTPC AMD FX-8100 couldn't keep up with that task. It was upgraded to a Ryzen 2700 a couple years ago, which can. Not sure about the i5 model you are inquiring about.

Looks like there is only a few % difference between those two CPUs :
https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-8279U-vs-AMD-Ryzen-7-2700/m807756vs3957
But of course the real numbers are going to be application-specific.
Pages: [1]   Go Up