INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can two MC installs share one main library?  (Read 356 times)

Mike Rubin

• World Citizen
Can two MC installs share one main library?
« on: July 07, 2021, 09:24:25 pm »

I have my music on a NAS.  JRiver MC 28 is on my Windows 10 desktop.  I only stream via DLNA, even to the system on my desk, using two Sonore Rendus.  I don’t use USB from the computer at all.

I just have started to use a NUC running Windows 10 to serve the music to the Rendus because I want to offload the processing to a dedicated cpu, especially since I am using processor-intensive upsampling to DSD-over-DLNA.  However, because I need to run the NUC headlessly, I prefer to continue to do file downloading, file copying to the NAS, library importing, and metadata editing on the desktop unit.

Is it possible to edit a “master” library on the desktop and then have MC on the NUC use the very same library file to serve the signal over DLNA? 

I tried using library server from the desktop to the NUC and then streaming from the NUC to my Rendus as that was suggested as a solution on this forum.  While that allowed me to bind the Rendus to the NUC and to use the desktop library, it didn’t offload the cpu work to the NUC.

My current workaround is to do library management on the desktop, then backup the library to MicroSoft OneDrive, and then restore the library to the NUC every time I make a change, which is often.  That’s extra steps I would like to avoid.

Finally, I could use remote access to manage all the downloading, importing, and editing on the NUC headlessly but I would like both to minimize the NUC’s interaction with the internet and to avoid having to juggle between the remote access window and whatever I am doing on the desktop. 

So, none of these three options is as useful and simple as would be what I am asking about:  can I simultaneously access the same open library, stored perhaps on the NAS, so that an edit made on one of the computers shows up in both versions of MC?

I appreciate any help you can offer.
Pages: [1]   Go Up