INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Library access (server/client setup): Read-Only except for certain fields?  (Read 450 times)

voodoo5_6k

• World Citizen

I have a question, basically related to this here: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=128250.0

I have JRiver running on a Debian VM (library server). Then there are several clients. One is my admin workstation, for tagging, ripping etc. This one obviously has full library access. Then there's the HTPC. This one is sitting in the living room, and is potentially used by whoever wants to watch something off the server. Therefore, the library is accessed in read-only mode. So, nobody can mess up the library. Cool!

However, this of course means that the "watched" tag is not persistent, as the client can't update the library on the server. It would be cool, if one could declare some fields "unprotected", just like e.g. within Excel. That way, the library is still protected, but the "watched" tag could be maintained by the unprivileged client for "full" library comfort.

Is something like that possible (and I just don't know how to make it work)? Or is this not possible (then I'll add a feature request for MC28)?

Thanks already!
END OF LINE.

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe

We don't have anything close to that granularity for control, database changes from clients are done in such a way that would also not easily allow that, sorry.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

voodoo5_6k

• World Citizen

Thanks Hendrik!

Yeah, that's understandable. And maybe, I phrased it a bit too complicated. Let me put it this way:

It would be cool, if there were an additional level of DLNA library access, between fully privileged and unprivileged (read-only). This could be called e.g. HTPC access and would only allow the client to update the two(?) fields required to keep track of what has been watched.

What about that? There'd be no user configuration for this.

I can't imagine everybody with a library server has/wants the client running with fully privileged library access? If I think about my other HTPC "users", there's a high probability for them to just accidentally delete stuff or change it... Because you can't kill Disney+ or Amazon Prime with your remote, can you? So I consider it a legitimate thought for a user to assume he/she can't cause any harm from the client side (if the user even knows about the server/client model at all).

Having this type of library access would put a JRiver powered HTPC closer to the experience a fully commercial device. In that light (user experience), I would even say it could be considered "essential" functionality. It might not be easy (I don't know anything about the application structure/architecture), but maybe it is something to think about, for future overhauls etc.
END OF LINE.
Pages: [1]   Go Up