INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feature Request: "HTPC Mode" Library Access via DLNA (Server/Client)  (Read 387 times)

voodoo5_6k

• World Citizen

Based on my initial question here: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,130000.0.html#msg901777

This might be a mid- to longterm feature request, not necessarily for MC28.

The basics:
I have a library server, and several clients. One client is the HTPC, and as such, it is located in the living room and is also used by "unexperienced" users. Therefore, the system boots into an unprivileged Windows account and starts MC27 (no stable version of MC28 available yet) in theater view. In order to prevent users from deleting stuff from the JRiver library or change it, the library access is "read-only".

The problem:
In "read-only" library access obviously the entries in the "last watched" etc. fields done while MC27 is running are rejected when synchronizing the library changes with the library server. This is of course the expected behaviour for "read-only" library access. However, the users lose the comfort of tracking their progress in a tv show or easily spotting what movies have been watched, and also seeing how long ago that had happened. This feels like a "lack" of functionality.

The (potential) solution:
Implement an additional access level. Let's call it "HTPC mode". It is basically "read-only+". The server will still reject all library changes on synchronization attempts. Except for changes made to the fields used for tracking the above (if I recall right, this means two fields). No configuration options, and it requires username and password as the existing two access options do. This'll round off the user experience for a JRiver HTPC with theater view.

Notes:
Based on Hendrik's reply to my original question (which was a little more complicated than what I've outlined here) this might not get into MC28 (or even MC29 etc.). But this might be a thing to keep in mind when doing an application overhaul or touching related functionality for other changes. As I wrote, from a user perspective this feels like a "gap" in functionality, and it's right there, in your face, as soon as you reboot or restart, as all your progress marks will be gone...

PS: Thanks for reading & considering :)
END OF LINE.
Pages: [1]   Go Up