INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MJMD Image File Tags  (Read 1113 times)

FrankL

• Junior Woodchuck
MJMD Image File Tags
« on: March 29, 2003, 01:56:49 pm »

For image files the MJMD Tag does not survive when edited in Adobe Photoshop.  Adobe Photoshop just deletes the MJMD Tag.  

Maybe the MJMD Tag could be altered in some way to look like a EXIF Tag so that Photoshop does not delete it.

Also would it be possible for the Media Center WMA tagging system to include Track number.  I don't understand why the tags for WMAs don't include that, I've lost them so many different times!

Also Tagging does not update or even tell you that it failed to update a file if it is playing at the moment.  It will update the MediaCenter Tagging information but neglects to tell you that it did not update the actual file's tag.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: MJMD Image File Tags
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2003, 03:56:17 pm »

MJMD

I take it thats for an Image

I don't use MC9 for Images, I prefer http://www.cpic.com

JimH I think Uses Lview Pro
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

FrankL

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2003, 04:09:09 pm »

But Media Center is trying to get rid of the need to use other programs for Images right?

That's why they changed the name.

Those programs look really nice by the way, thanks

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2003, 04:21:49 pm »

MC doesn't do any editing at this point.

FrankL

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2003, 04:31:22 pm »

I think that not including editing functions for images is a good choice because that would just bog down Media Center.

I was unclear about my concern with the MJMD Tags unfortunately.  What I meant was:

Whenever I put all of the MJMD Tag information into an image file it is stored into the file and the Media Library Database.  Then when I decide that I want to edit the photo in Adobe Photoshop I do and then I go back to Media Center.  The MJMD Tag information for the file that I just edited is still there because it is stored in the Media Library Database.  But if I delete it from the database and then re-import it the MJMD Tag information is not there because Adobe Photoshop deleted it.

Adobe Photoshop does not delete EXIF data nor do many other Photo editing softwares.  Would it be possible to change the nature of the MJMD Tag so that it clones EXIF or something so that it would trick Adobe Photoshop into thinking that the MJMD Tag is really an EXIF tag and therefore leave it alone.

nila

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2003, 01:33:14 am »

It's not an answer but it'll do as a work around for now.

After you update any files using photoshop, select them in MJ, right click and choose 'Track Info>Update files from library (always)' - that should write all the info back to the files again for you after you've finished with them in Photoshop :)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2003, 05:25:45 pm »

Adobe (or anyone else) shouldn't throw away JPEG header data just because it doesn't understand it.

I'm not sure there's much we can do, because the MJMD tag is stored in a perfectly safe and standard way -- Adobe just doesn't handle it properly.  You could try reporting it to Adobe.

And MC will update the tag for playing files -- but it waits until the file isn't playing anymore.  Start another file or close MC and it'll update everything.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

FrankL

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2003, 10:29:58 am »

sweet, thanks for explaining that matt
Pages: [1]   Go Up