INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to force right aspect ratio for a video  (Read 940 times)

Paul S.A. Renaud

• World Citizen
How to force right aspect ratio for a video
« on: July 14, 2021, 01:37:27 pm »

Sometimes JRiver plays a 3x4 (720 x 480) MKV-movie in wide screen 16x9 (720 x 567) presentation (thereby stretching the 3x4 picture in a distorted / wrong way). The problem is not with the original conversion to MKV from DVD. Plex plays the MKV-file in the right aspect ratio.
BUT is there a setting in JRiver where you can force JRiver into a proper 3x4 presentation, despite the movie being a 720x576 file.

Paul S.A. Renaud

• World Citizen
Re: How to force right aspect ratio for a video
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2021, 04:08:19 am »

I have been told that there are two places that the aspect ratio of a video are stored on a DVD. One is in the video itself, the other is in the information stored in the directory. MakeMKV copies one of those to the MKV file (there's only room for one in the file standard). This is not a problem if both match, like they should, but some disk authors screw that up.

I have used the MKV header editor from mkvtoolnix to fix this. JRiver still uses the wrong number. Can somebody explain how JRiver picks the aspect ratio, where does store it and how can I correct it?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2021, 07:17:28 am »

MC has a tag for Aspect Ratio.  Try removing it or editing it.

Paul S.A. Renaud

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2021, 03:34:26 am »

How does the aspect ratio tab work? Is it a number of something like a x b. There is no guidance. I tried several combinations but the picture did not change a bit.
Pages: [1]   Go Up