INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NEW: Diversion -- Diverts Playback to a New Zone  (Read 3004 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
NEW: Diversion -- Diverts Playback to a New Zone
« on: June 11, 2021, 03:35:17 pm »

JRiver Media Center 28 has added the ability to easily move playback from one device to another.

Description
If you've ever wanted to pause a movie or a playlist and play it in a new location, now you can.  You can Divert To another device / zone.

Instructions
Right click on the current zone under Playing Now and choose "Divert", then chose the device / zone where you want to resume playback. 

Playback in the current zone will stop, the playlist will be diverted to the new zone, and playback will resume there.

The state of playback is remembered.  If you pause, then divert, playback will be paused in the same position.

It works for audio, video, and some streaming; Cloudplay, for example.

rec head

Re: NEW: Diversion -- Diverts Playback to a New Zone
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2021, 07:42:53 am »

Is this only available on desktops? I start playing something from Jremote2 to the wrong zone all the time.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2021, 01:53:30 pm »

It's not available on remotes at this time.

whoareyou

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2021, 09:24:27 pm »

In another thread:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,129502.msg898659.html#msg898659

I had requested a feature to maintain the same playlist while using zoneswitch.

Could this feature be modified so that if used with zoneswitch, the playlist would automatically be "diverted" to whatever zone was automatically selected by the current zoneswitch rule?

Windows 11 Pro
Intel i7-12700K / 32MBRam /
ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 4070
4K Sony x900h

lello

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2021, 08:23:14 am »

Interesting function, especially if it can be operated remotely.
But it doesn't work for me. Selecting "Divert Here" I don't see the other 2 zones I created in the past, but only "n / a". The worst thing is that now the swisch does not work anymore and yet I have checked that the rules of the 3 zones have remained the same: is it a bug or is there something else I need to do?

d_pert

• Galactic Citizen
  • I love music and great audio!
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2021, 09:43:46 am »

Gotta say -- nice work! I just tried Diversion a few times during with a DXD file, from a zone with very particular output/DSP settings (incl. a VST stack) -- over to -- another zone with different output/DSP settings (incl. a different VST stack). Perfect! No glitches or issues!

The only things I noticed were 'user experience', potential refinement things:

After the actual diversion and beginning of playback (on the destination zone/Playing Now), I was left staring at the source zone/Playing Now, which was of course idle. That felt a bit 'unfinished', having to manually select the destination zone/Playing Now where I was intending to continue listening. Realizing interest in this may vary from use case to use case: perhaps an (optional) behaviour setting, or prompting dialog, to 'follow' the diversion to its destination? I imagine a majority of folks using this feature will be primarily concerned with Playing Now on the desination zone -- leaving behind the source Playing Now -- so this would seem natural to me.

Also I noticed the playlist in the source Playing Now remained queued there. The term 'diversion' had led me to expect that outgoing zone would be cleared/housekept. As is, it's kind of more of a 'copy and divert'.

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,129589.0.html
Derek Pert
(Windows 11 Pro x64 / 32GB RAM)

gappie

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2021, 01:25:25 pm »

Gotta say -- nice work! I just tried Diversion a few times during with a DXD file, from a zone with very particular output/DSP settings (incl. a VST stack) -- over to -- another zone with different output/DSP settings (incl. a different VST stack). Perfect! No glitches or issues!

The only things I noticed were 'user experience', potential refinement things:

After the actual diversion and beginning of playback (on the destination zone/Playing Now), I was left staring at the source zone/Playing Now, which was of course idle. That felt a bit 'unfinished', having to manually select the destination zone/Playing Now where I was intending to continue listening. Realizing interest in this may vary from use case to use case: perhaps an (optional) behaviour setting, or prompting dialog, to 'follow' the diversion to its destination? I imagine a majority of folks using this feature will be primarily concerned with Playing Now on the desination zone -- leaving behind the source Playing Now -- so this would seem natural to me.

Also I noticed the playlist in the source Playing Now remained queued there. The term 'diversion' had led me to expect that outgoing zone would be cleared/housekept. As is, it's kind of more of a 'copy and divert'.

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,129589.0.html
This is indeed a very nice feature, but i agree with you. especially about the housekeeping, it is actually the reason why i have not added it in my setup. in my opinion it should be 1 list that moves to the zone, not leaving a ghost list behind.
but its a cool start.

:)
gab

zebm

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2021, 04:09:32 am »

Great function!! Is there or will there be a MCC command for this? I really want this to work in theater view.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2021, 08:02:03 am »

Great function!! Is there or will there be a MCC command for this? I really want this to work in theater view.

Coming in 28.0.33 and later:
NEW: Added a zone diversion MCWS (MCWS/v1/Playback/Divert).
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

lello

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2021, 03:03:41 am »

Forgive my ignorance, but could you explain to me what MCWS is? Thank you

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2021, 07:42:33 am »

It's on the wiki in Developer Zone.   Link at bottom of this page.
Pages: [1]   Go Up