INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Listening Test?  (Read 519 times)

ManOnTheMoon

• Recent member
Listening Test?
« on: July 18, 2021, 06:05:15 pm »

What is the 'Listening Test' selection under the 'Tools' menu? I can't seem to find it in the documentation.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Listening Test?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2021, 07:23:51 pm »

You can select a file, then MC will make multiple files from it, of varying bit depth etc.  You can then try guessing which ones are better.

It's a good test of whether you can really hear what you think you can.

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=107924.0

ManOnTheMoon

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2021, 07:47:42 pm »

That is a really awesome feature. There are times I digitize a vinyl album at various compression rates. To be able to compare the sound quality of different compression levels will let me chose the optimum file.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2021, 09:26:21 pm »

It compares multiple mp3 sample rates and CD quality.  It is not a general purpose tool. Not sure it will help you much with making decisions about digitizing vinyl unless you are planning to use mp3.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2021, 09:35:11 pm »

I don't think that's completely accurate.  You can start with any file you want, and if you have golden ears, you won't have trouble picking it out from the rest.

It would be pointless to compare to files that are lossy.

dtc, take the challenge and post the results.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2021, 09:47:42 pm »

Jim - many people digitizing vinyl are using formats at or above CD quality. This tool is not a general purpse tool that allows those comparisons. All you can do is convert high rez to CD. It does not allow comparison between 96 or 192, for example.

When I did this analysis your tool was not helpful because it did not give me the flexibility to do the comparisons I wanted to make

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2021, 11:26:51 pm »

I would still stick with Red Book for CD regardless of whether i can tell difference between ACC/MP3. Its a back up of CD (in case CD got busted).

I am not into Vinyl. But if i was, i would rip them at highest quality possible. Just to keep my option open for later post processing (same reason i keep RAW for still images)
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)
Pages: [1]   Go Up