INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Request: User control over whats considered an album  (Read 709 times)

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Request: User control over whats considered an album
« on: July 23, 2021, 02:41:13 am »

Source of this request.

TL;DR

There can be several (sonically different) versions of the same album which someone would like to keep. Original releases and later remasters are an example. Deluxe editions are another good example which often include bonus tracks or an extra disk. Currently, the only way to keep these as unique 'albums' is by adding something unique to the album title to make MC keep them as a separate and unique album. This leads to various concerns and problems:
  • They are not actually unique albums, they are unique versions of the same album.
  • Any information I add to the album field is extraneous; its not suposed to be there (its not actually part of the album title).
  • It makes long album names even longer and long fields are cut off which makes album versions indistinguisable from each other in JRemote, Panel and Theater View.
  • It messes up other features like finding online information.

I would like to request if we can get some some control over how MC determines what is album. I thought of two ways that I would like to provide as possible solutions:

• Add a tickbox to library fields for MC to include that field to determine its a unique album. It could go below 'Data' and could be called something like 'Include field to determine unique album'.
Or:
  • Introduce a new right-click option below "Library Tools", which for example could be called "Create new album". A user could now select the tracks that belong to a unique album version (that MC grouped with another version with the same artist and album title), right click them and select this new option to create a new version with those files. MC would then treat it as a unique album and keep it separated from other albums from the same artist with the same album title.

Both ways won't change how MC currently works and it won't change anything for existing libraries.

Thanks for reading and more importantly, for considering!

Hendrik

• Administrator
Re: Request: User control over whats considered an album
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2021, 04:04:24 am »

This behavior is rather integral to how MC works, and not something we can make configurable, sorry.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2021, 11:24:42 am »

Currently, the only way to keep these as unique 'albums' is by adding something unique to the album title to make MC keep them as a separate and unique album. This leads to various concerns and problems:
  • They are not actually unique albums, they are unique versions of the same album.
  • Any information I add to the album field is extraneous; its not suposed to be there (its not actually part of the album title).
  • It makes long album names even longer and long fields are cut off which makes album versions indistinguisable from each other in JRemote, Panel and Theater View.
  • It messes up other features like finding online information.

My guess when tags were conceived (not by JRiver) they were not expecting ppl to have multiple versions of same album.

It is logical if MC "groups" different versions of albums together ... after all they are the same albums.

It is darn inconvinient though for some use scenarios.

I just create a custom field [Album title] ... replace all [Album] tags in views with this. So [Album] tag for me is just unique identifier (in my case its album title+label+catalogue#).
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2021, 02:20:09 am »

This behavior is rather integral to how MC works, and not something we can make configurable, sorry.

Alright, I appreciate that. I'd like to ask you do keep it in mind as you (ie, the developers) may be able to come up with something that is possible and that might help this particular use-case. I'm sure quite a few users are faced with this "problem" and resort to changing the [Album] field.

I just create a custom field [Album title] ... replace all [Album] tags in views with this. So [Album] tag for me is just unique identifier (in my case its album title+label+catalogue#).

Thanks for the suggestion, that's what most people do, or something similar. There is this thread where this issue is discussed and the rest of the suggestions are located.
Pages: [1]   Go Up