INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What is a "paid upgrade" if not a paid upgrade?  (Read 891 times)

aynsof

• Recent member
What is a "paid upgrade" if not a paid upgrade?
« on: July 23, 2021, 10:35:36 am »

I received an ad in the lower left saying I had a paid upgrade to 28 (though I have not paid for one...). So, I installed 28 and but it was not registered. So I downloaded a 27 registration key and that didn't work either, so I reverted to 27 and had to re-register it.

This means I needlessly used a registration key.

So, my question: why do you tell me I have a paid upgrade when I don't?

While I'm here, I would also like to note that registration keys have not been replenishing after a twelve month period (in fact, they never have; I've been upgrading almost every version by the way, so I am an extremely faithful customer).

I love JRiver, but I feel a tad misled...Have I misunderstood something obvious?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: What is a "paid upgrade" if not a paid upgrade?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2021, 10:49:24 am »

It doesn't say that you have an upgrade.  It says that one is available.  You can choose to ignore it or to upgrade.

It says "Paid Upgrade to MC28 Available"

I looked for your registrations but couldn't find one connected to your forum email address.  Send a message to jimh at jriver and I'll check.

aynsof

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2021, 10:52:40 am »

Thanks Jim,
It actually said "paid upgrade", so I was (and remain) confused.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2021, 11:01:05 am »

Thanks Jim,
It actually said "paid upgrade", so I was (and remain) confused.
It is a paid upgrade.  Maybe it's a language difference?  It doesn't imply that it has been paid for or that you have paid.  And the link goes to the upgrade topic on our wiki.  That tells you how to check what license you have.

aynsof

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2021, 12:30:51 pm »

Ok. I'm a native speaker of English (and, for what it's worth, a PhD in linguistics). It is definitely ambiguous: it certainly suggests that it is a link to a "paid upgrade," i.e. it has already been paid for. Perhaps better wording would be "purchase upgrade".

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2021, 12:51:02 pm »

Maybe you're overthinking it.  "Paid upgrade" is not the same as "already paid for".

Did you read the link?

I've done this long enough to know that, no matter what is said, some people won't read and some won't understand.  It's just how people are.  I know I've been guilty of both.  "If all else fails, read the instructions." is my motto.

In any case, I'm sorry you didn't understand what we intended.

I'll still check on your restore count if you want to send me an email.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2021, 07:18:03 pm »

"Paid upgrade" is now the commonly used language meaning, "an upgrade that requires payment," as opposed to, "free upgrade".

EnglishTiger

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2021, 03:55:31 am »

A simpler way would be change "Paid Upgrade" to "Purchase Upgrade" or "Purchase MC28" or the word Buy could be used instead of Purchase.
Win NUC - VENOEN 11Th NUC Mini PC Core i7 1165G7,Dual HDMI 2.0+Mini DP,Windows 11 Mini Desktop Computer,Thunderbolt 4.0,1 Lan, USB-C,Wifi,Bluetooth 5.0,32GB RAM Toshiba MQ04ABF100 ‎500Gb 5400 RPM ‎eSATA HD, Gigabyte GP-GSM2NE3512GNTD 1Tb NVMe SSD, Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB SATA 2.5 Inch SSD (MZ-77Q8T0) in Sabrent Ultra Slim USB 3.0 to 2.5-Inch SATA External Aluminium Hard Drive Enclosure (EC-UK30)

Apple 2020 Mac mini M1 Chip (8GB RAM, 512GB SSD)
Sabrent Thunderbolt 3 to Dual NVMe M.2 SSD Tool-Free Enclosure with Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 High Performance SSD + Crucial P3 Plus 4TB M.2 PCIe

ET Skins & TrackInfo Plugins - https://englishtiger.uk/index.html

michael123

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2021, 07:20:33 am »

I bought a V28 license, but installed V27.
Also got this message, and intuitively thought it is about free (as I have the license already) upgrade

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2021, 08:06:41 am »

While I agree that the message definitely does not mean that you already paid for it, I also think it could be something like this instead:
"MC28 is now available! Click here to buy a license and download." (with an option to permanently dismiss)
Pages: [1]   Go Up