INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Center 27 Freezes, Can't Be Closed  (Read 904 times)

FKatz

• Recent member
Media Center 27 Freezes, Can't Be Closed
« on: July 23, 2021, 01:31:10 pm »

In the past couple of months I've been having a problem with Media Center 27 regularly freezing up and it's impossible to close. I hit cancel on the Microsoft message and nothing happens, task manager won't close it and I've tried closing via the command prompt and via process explorer - all to no avail. The only way I can close it is to reboot the computer or shut off the computer. It usually seems to happen when I'm scrolling through my audio files - right now I have about 133,000 of them.

I am running the program on Windows 10 Pro 64 bit. My system has an AMD A10-7870K processor with 16GB of RAM.
Does anyone have a suggestion as to how to resolve this problem?

I have a copy of Media Center on my home theater computer but I mostly use that for watching movies and haven't experienced the problem with that.

Dawgincontrol

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • We have met the enemy and he is us.
Re: Media Center 27 Freezes, Can't Be Closed
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2021, 01:42:30 pm »

Since it's specific to one computer, I would suggest beginning here https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=114101.0.

If no luck see if you can find a restore point before you were having problems.  May guess is a Windows Update messed with your settings/usage along the way.

Good luck.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2021, 02:06:59 pm »

If you can't close it with Task Manager, the problem is somewhere other than MC. 

Where are the files stored?

Dawgincontrol's advice is good.

FKatz

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2021, 05:53:29 pm »

I'm not using Windows Defender for my antivirus - I'm using BitDefender but I followed the procedure and added the exceptions to the BitDefrender antivirus.

Regarding the comment "If you can't close it with Task Manager, the problem is somewhere other than MC." - if that's the case why is it only happening in Media Center? Of course most of my programs hardly ever freeze up but on the rare occasions when one of them does I've always been able to terminate the program via the Task Manager.

I can well believe that the problem occurred during a Windows update though I just found out that I don't have any restore points because it wasn't turned because Windows cleverly doesn't enable restore points automatically - you have to tell it to do so.

So we shall see if putting the exceptions in BitDefender does the trick or not - hopefully it will.

FKatz

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2021, 12:52:06 pm »

I put in exceptions into BitDefender antivirus in the hope that it might resolve this problem but a few minutes ago it froze up again and the only way I could close it was to reboot my computer.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2021, 01:33:50 pm »

Uninstall BitDefender, just to test.   I don't think this is an MC problem.

FKatz

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2021, 07:58:32 pm »

I notice that you say you "think" it's not MC - not that it can't possibly be MC.
Uninstalling my internet protection suite is not a trivial matter and I really don't want to spend my time doing it as sometimes it may take a day or two for the problem to occur and I certainly don't want to be without protection for a couple of days. I think it seems to be happening more frequently. It's happened twice today. It seems to occur when I'm scrolling through my list of files or doing a search. Just now I did one search which worked fine and then I did another search and it froze while I was trying to type in the search box.
Do you have some kind of error log which might help? Doesn't Windows have some kind of error tracking that might prove useful? I've been using computers for many years but my knowledge of the more technical aspects is minimal since it usually doesn't come into play.
None of my other programs freeze like this - I occasionally get a freeze but the task manager always takes care of it.
I'm really pretty exasperated with the program - it has some nice features but the lack of decent documentation is a real drawback and don't tell me to check the forums because answers are frequently too technical or just plain confusing. If I keep using the program I would like to be able to customize the layout and other features but the material in the Wiki is so confusing for a person like myself with limited technical expertise.
At some point I may try and disable all the functions of BitDefender for 20 minutes to see if it happens but if it is BitDefender isn't there some information I can provide you that will enable you to figure out what's going on.
I saw a posting where someone else has the same problem and he was given the same advice "disable windows defender" which he did to no avail.
At this point I've spent a couple hundred dollars getting the program and the yearly updates and I think I deserve better than "I don't think it's MC"
Someone, please help resolve this problem or I'm going elsewhere - I'm 78 years old now and life's too short to be screwing around with this nonsense.

JimH

• Administrator
Pages: [1]   Go Up